Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

how do you know you've passed the medicals?

Wikiposts

how do you know you've passed the medicals?

Old Oct 20th 2010, 7:56 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default how do you know you've passed the medicals?

do they let you know that your medicals are ok after they are done? Or do you have to just wait for that passport request?

Just trying to figure out how it all works

Thanks
Old Oct 20th 2010, 8:11 am
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how do you know you've passed the medicals?

We only actually knew for sure when we got our PPR

I think it would depend on what the problem was (if there was one).

Our DMP told us there and then that there might be because he could hear a heart murmur and then referred us on to Cardiologist

Not sure if they could say regarding the urine and blood samples straight away. The nurse at the Chest X Ray gave us a reassuring nod and said 'Everything looks fine) but don't think they should do.

Think most DMPs like to get all the info sent off fairly swiftish and therefore you would know reasonably quickly if other work was required.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 9:06 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmydean
We only actually knew for sure when we got our PPR

I think it would depend on what the problem was (if there was one).

Our DMP told us there and then that there might be because he could hear a heart murmur and then referred us on to Cardiologist

Not sure if they could say regarding the urine and blood samples straight away. The nurse at the Chest X Ray gave us a reassuring nod and said 'Everything looks fine) but don't think they should do.

Think most DMPs like to get all the info sent off fairly swiftish and therefore you would know reasonably quickly if other work was required.

Thanks, just trying tro figure out if we can be brave enough to sell our house and leave here before PPR as long as we have had meds, enter Canada as visitors and then land when visa arrives.....
Old Oct 20th 2010, 9:23 am
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Thanks, just trying tro figure out if we can be brave enough to sell our house and leave here before PPR as long as we have had meds, enter Canada as visitors and then land when visa arrives.....
Sounds like a plan

Would you leave your property in storage in UK and send for it after you landed?

It sounds good as long as you can survive without either of you working for a while and you don't mind kids having to wait for school. (Assuming they can't start until after you land....not sure about that)

If you have to sell your house to move then you might as well get it up for sale......you could introduce some delaying measures possibly if required. We are trying our best to leave our house sale as late as we can so we don't have to move into rented....it might backfire but if necessary I will leave it and move over anyway.

It might only take 3 or 4 months from submitting your PR application to London. Good luck with whatever you choose..........you will still get there whichever way it happens........
Old Oct 20th 2010, 5:34 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by jimmydean
Sounds like a plan

Would you leave your property in storage in UK and send for it after you landed?

It sounds good as long as you can survive without either of you working for a while and you don't mind kids having to wait for school. (Assuming they can't start until after you land....not sure about that)

If you have to sell your house to move then you might as well get it up for sale......you could introduce some delaying measures possibly if required. We are trying our best to leave our house sale as late as we can so we don't have to move into rented....it might backfire but if necessary I will leave it and move over anyway.

It might only take 3 or 4 months from submitting your PR application to London. Good luck with whatever you choose..........you will still get there whichever way it happens........

Thanks we figured that we would stick the house up for sale, if we are lucky enough to get a buyer, stick in a couple of delaying tactics - not enough to jeopardise sale of course - maybe not complete info straight away, answer solicitors requests for a couple of weeks etc etc, the usual irritating behaviour that sellers sometime exhibit anyway.
Then hopefully visa will arrive in time for sale completion, if not we will just do the flagpoling thing.
I just dont want our house, UK rented, Canada rented, new house. I would like to miss the UK rented bit.
I would like my daughter to start school though, so just need to figure out how to achieve that.
At least we will be there to network for jobs and be able to say that the visa is imminent.
I am just a little worried that if we fail the meds then we have exposed ourselves to a whole bunch of crap.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

lizziem is on a distinguished road

we had our medicals done on the 10th august and havent heard a thing- good or bad.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 10:07 am
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

You either get PPR or a letter/email for further tests.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Thanks we figured that we would stick the house up for sale, if we are lucky enough to get a buyer, stick in a couple of delaying tactics - not enough to jeopardise sale of course - maybe not complete info straight away, answer solicitors requests for a couple of weeks etc etc, the usual irritating behaviour that sellers sometime exhibit anyway.
Then hopefully visa will arrive in time for sale completion, if not we will just do the flagpoling thing.
I just dont want our house, UK rented, Canada rented, new house. I would like to miss the UK rented bit.
I would like my daughter to start school though, so just need to figure out how to achieve that.
At least we will be there to network for jobs and be able to say that the visa is imminent.
I am just a little worried that if we fail the meds then we have exposed ourselves to a whole bunch of crap.
Sorry if this sounds like I'm raining on your parade ....but I'd think carefully about making any big moves before you get your PPR.

This whole process can be unpredictable, and although I'm sure your PPR will come soon, there's always a slight chance something will crop up. When you get the letter or e-mail asking for your passport, that's when everything is more or less 100%.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 8:41 pm
No longer waiting :-)

iamafish is an unknown quantity at this point

Our house is already sold (though we are still in it...) and our medicals are next Thursday. Once those are done, we will finalize our packing and be gone as soon as we can after that. We have an arrangement with the buyer where we can leave our stuff here until we are ready to ship.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 10:07 am
Just Joined

WalesToCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey we did our medicals 2 weeks ago, then when they got all the blood tests and everything back they finalised the paperwork and sent it off to Canadian Immigration in London, They sent us a e-mail to confirm this.
So i rang them just to ask how everything was and they said all was ok and you should be fine.
Just ask i suppose!!!
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 10:59 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WalesToCanada
Hey we did our medicals 2 weeks ago, then when they got all the blood tests and everything back they finalised the paperwork and sent it off to Canadian Immigration in London, They sent us a e-mail to confirm this.
So i rang them just to ask how everything was and they said all was ok and you should be fine.
Just ask i suppose!!!
Don't forget though - what your DMP thinks is okay may not be what CIC think is okay.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute

Just ask i suppose!!!
Unfortunalety its not the DMP that passes or fails you though. Ultimately you need to wait until passport requests to know your deffo in.
Good luck all waiting for passport requests....
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

WalesToCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, yes i realise this, its the Canadian Immigration that have final word that is obvious. However the original question was.... how do you know you've passed the medicals? Just ring up and ask!!!!
They told us that we all passed with flying colours and dont see any reason why we could fail this stage, so if the doctors are saying that then how can Immigration fail us???? They didnt conduct the medicals thats why they use the doctors we went to.

Last edited by WalesToCanada; Oct 23rd 2010 at 8:55 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, yes i realise this, its the Canadian Immigration that have final word that is obvious. However the original question was.... how do you know you've passed the medicals? Just ring up and ask!!!!
They told us that we all passed with flying colours and dont see any reason why we could fail this stage, so if the doctors are saying that then how can Immigration fail us???? They didnt conduct the medicals thats why they use the doctors we went to.
Yip...the original question was how do I know when Ive passed the medicals. The true answer to this is when you get your passport request.
I totally appreciate that the DMP may say everything is OK, but they are not supposed to say that as its not their decision in the end.
Our DMP said we'd be OK and I have some hip surgery to go through and a child with aspergers....lets hope shes right.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 12:05 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

They may not CONDUCT the medicals, but they have Medical Officers in Ottawa/London who check the results that are sent in and if THEY are not happy with anything THEY will ask for further testing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.