Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How do the timings work out (SW category)?

How do the timings work out (SW category)?

Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Beatrix Kiddo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do the timings work out (SW category)?

Hi. I used to post here a few years ago, but since then the process has changed considerably and I'm really quite confused about whether I would still be eligible, and I'd love some help. (I promise I've head a read through and read the Wikis and everything, and I'm still quite confused.)

The SW application process seems to require you to have arranged employment before you apply, is that right? But I've been looking at the processing times on the CIC website and they seem to be about 23 months. A prospective employer won't wait that long, will they, so I must have got something wrong.

I honestly don't know where to begin; it's all changed so much.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, just to add that I want to move to BC, and I work in IT, if that helps.

Last edited by Beatrix Kiddo; Jan 23rd 2012 at 2:34 pm. Reason: Missing info.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: How do the timings work out (SW category)?

Another question. From the CIC site.

**Once the cap has been reached, we can only accept applications for this occupation from people with an existing offer of arranged employment.
What about if you don't have an eligible occupation? Is it still ok to apply as long as you have a job offer?

Thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:01 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beatrix Kiddo
Another question. From the CIC site.

What about if you don't have an eligible occupation? Is it still ok to apply as long as you have a job offer?

Thanks
With an AEO I believe

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplace...poarremp.shtml
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplace...dcassess.shtml
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks; so it *is* possible to apply for Federal Skilled Worker status as long as you have a job offer, and as long as the prospective employer has done their side of things? Presumably things have to move quite quickly, in that case? I've done the Move To Canada Wizard and everything, and it's still hard to make out what order to do stuff in.

I really am sorry to ask what probably sound like really basic questions, but this time round I'm really confused and it used to be comparatively straightforward. The help is really appreciated.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Simply put, to qualify as FSW now, just having the minimum points etc is no longer enough - you now need either experience in a job on the list of 29 eligible occupations OR a job offer approved by HRSDC.

As you correctly say, not many employers will wait the 18 months - 2 years or so for you to get over there, so you'd have to go over on a Temp Work Permit first usually, and then upgrade that to PR.

Things have got much tougher, because of the economic climate, and the huge backlog that had grown to unmanageable levels, so the rules got tighter and far fewer people qualify for FSW than before.

But FSW is only one of over 50 routes to Canadian PR, so don't just focus on that, do check and see if there would be an easier route for you. Start with the 'Beginners Guide to Canadian Immigration' article in the Wiki which outlines all of the available visa routes.

Good luck.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
As you correctly say, not many employers will wait the 18 months - 2 years or so for you to get over there, so you'd have to go over on a Temp Work Permit first usually, and then upgrade that to PR.
Thank you; this is what I needed spelling out for me. That's really helpful, thanks.

Now I just have to work out how to get a job over there .
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 7:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beatrix Kiddo
Now I just have to work out how to get a job over there .
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...Hunting-Canada

Old Jan 24th 2012, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks again!