Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How do I prove I plan to reside in Canada when I have never lived there?

How do I prove I plan to reside in Canada when I have never lived there?

Old Jul 4th 2009, 10:52 am
Just Joined

razy2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I prove I plan to reside in Canada when I have never lived there?

I am a Canadian citizen but have always lived in the UK. I plan to move to Canada later this year but only if my common law partner can come with me. My main concern is proving that I plan to reside in Canada as naturally I do not want to apply for jobs or rentals until I know if and when my partner can join me

Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any thoughts?
Old Jul 4th 2009, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all
Default Re: How do I prove I plan to reside in Canada when I have never lived there?

Hi,

I believe that you can firstly get a few letters from family members / close friends in Canada to say that they will offer you and your partner a place to stay when you first arrive and offer to help you until you get on your feet, you can also state that once you have confirmation of your PR status you will start to look for and apply for jobs, look for accomodation, move over immediately once PR has been granted, basically you want to prove that you and your partner are going to make your life over there and not just get PR and not bother living there in Canada..........hope this helps and gets you on the right track to filling out your application, good luck and all the best....

MR79
Old Jul 4th 2009, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How do I prove I plan to reside in Canada when I have never lived there?

Originally Posted by razy2000
I am a Canadian citizen but have always lived in the UK. I plan to move to Canada later this year but only if my common law partner can come with me. My main concern is proving that I plan to reside in Canada as naturally I do not want to apply for jobs or rentals until I know if and when my partner can join me

Prove it to whom?? Do you mean employers? I think all you would need would be a Canadian address.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 5:12 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

QUOTE=fledermaus;7724308]Prove it to whom?? Do you mean employers? I think all you would need would be a Canadian address.[/QUOTE]

Nope, CHC. The OP is a Canadian sponsoring overseas and has to include a statement with the sponsorship and the application what his/her plans are for a return to Canada for Accommodation/Schooling/Work when the applicant is issued a COPR.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

razy2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

PMM, you're spot on! And MR79, thank you for your response, that's a very good idea about letters from current Canadian residents.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
Old Jul 5th 2009, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

Everyone that goes through the spousal sponsorship must include there plans to settle back in Canada once their partner recieves PR and you must convince the immigration officer that they are simply not going to gain PR and never go and live in Canada, the letters offering help with settling back until you get on your feet is alwys a good idea and make sure they sign it, basically anything to show them that you are serious about settling back in Canada and are prepared to leave once PR is granted.

Hope this helps.

MR79
Old Jul 5th 2009, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

PMM is right. My husband is Canadian born n' bred but had been living in the UK since the early 90s. When he applied to sponsor me he had to show that he could provide for me and my children, so he produced the documents proving his home ownership and a letter from the company that at the time was offering him a job.

The Canadian sponsor is financially responsible for their non-Canadian partner, so you have to be able to demonstrate that you have the means to support him/her when settling in Canada. I guess if you don't have a home or a job, you would just need proof of sufficient funds.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 2:47 am
Just Joined

nhbiker is on a distinguished road

I am in exactly the same boat... hubby is Canadian through his father but has lived in England since birth lol.
Not sure how effective it will be... they are due to open our application next week if the CIC timelines are anything to go by.
We sent printouts of emailed house listings from a realtor we signed on with over the internet.. showing that we were actively researching properties. We also sent printouts of suitable rental properties we could look at when we move over after PR is granted.
As for jobs, we did online jobsearches in our chosen area in hubby's trade (chef) over a period of a month and printed them out to prove that there were plenty of jobs for him to apply for when we get there.

As we do not have any relatives in Canada to support us or offer accommodation when we arrive, we can only hope this is enough. Hubby is hopeful that as he is a Canadian citizen it is largely academic and that as long as he states his intention to move that should be good enough for them.

Will let you know next week if his hopes were founded.
Sara
Old Jul 5th 2009, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

supergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nice

Originally Posted by razy2000

OMG!!! I am in exactly the same position! We've hired immigration lawyers and they've said that a letter from my partners employer (he's been offered relocation to Canada with work) will do but they may ask for more proof. So am racking my brains incase they come back to us. So why don't you/your partner try to get a job over there (easier said than done I know) and get a letter from the employer? Or if you have family over there letters from them.

I also think that if you made a few enquiries with realtors and included the emails that might help.

Will let you know if I have any other ideas
Old Jul 6th 2009, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Proof of a job offer will almost certainly be enough - without it I think the Canadian needs to show proof of sufficient funds to support the partner. The crucial thing is the sponsorship obligation. Good luck to y'all.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Any documentation of connections to Canada can be considered. Ownership of property. Canadian equities? Canadian bank account?

It makes sense in any case to open a Canadian bank account. And can be very helpful in transferring money to Canada when you move.

I suspect, though do not know, that a signed affidavit saying you intend to move may be enough.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:30 am
Just Joined

Well the anticipated/dreaded letter dropped onto the doormat today.
Even with no actual proof of intent to establish... just printouts of our research... hubby has been approved to sponsor
It seems in his case at least he was right.... him being Canadian and stating his intent to return WAS enough.
Now onto the long wait for London.
Good luck to all waiting
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nhbiker
Well the anticipated/dreaded letter dropped onto the doormat today.
Even with no actual proof of intent to establish... just printouts of our research... hubby has been approved to sponsor
It seems in his case at least he was right.... him being Canadian and stating his intent to return WAS enough.
Now onto the long wait for London.
Good luck to all waiting
Very glad for the both of you... makes me wonder though, why they asked my OH for more info (perhaps they consider the university-educated, employed white middle classes as particularly dodgy characters).
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nhbiker
him being Canadian and stating his intent to return WAS enough.
How did he state his intent to return? Did you include a letter signed by him that said that?

Originally Posted by newshoney
makes me wonder though, why they asked my OH for more info (perhaps they consider the university-educated, employed white middle classes as particularly dodgy characters)
Can I ask exactly what supporting "evidence" did you send with your sponsorship application?

Last edited by bewillow; Jul 10th 2009 at 10:32 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

We just wrote in the box where it asks what you have included as proof of intent to return: see separate sheet.
On that separate sheet we basically noted that we had no address or job in Canada as yet and that there was no point in looking for either until my visa was issued. We pointed out that buying property over there would be dependent on the sale of the UK house but we were at least looking on mls and through a realtor to see what we might be able to afford. We would put the house on the market when the visa is through and not before.
We were keeping an eye on the job situation through jobbank, but he was not applying for jobs as he had no intention of leaving me in England while the visa processes.
We did include a printout of houses we had shortlisted through realtor emails and a sampling of jobsearches but that was all.
I wondered if hubby was not being a little snippy with them, basically saying he wasn't gonna do anything til I had a visa but they seemed to accept everything as ok lol.

Sara

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.