Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

how do i go about emigrating to canada now

how do i go about emigrating to canada now

Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

bugsy quine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how do i go about emigrating to canada now

I am looking at emigrating to Canada and I have just taken a assessment with a company. I am 25 and I work in the UK railway industry as a track welder i thought that having this trade would help me get into Canada also my mothers cousin has just emigrated to Canada. I told the company this but they said i am not eligible to enter Canada with my trade and the only way to get in family wise was if I had a wife who was Canadian.I am desperate to emigrate and I was wondering if anyone could help or give me some advice on how to proceed next. thanks
Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how do i go about emigrating to canada now

Originally Posted by bugsy quine
I am looking at emigrating to Canada and I have just taken a assessment with a company. I am 25 and I work in the UK railway industry as a track welder i thought that having this trade would help me get into Canada also my mothers cousin has just emigrated to Canada. I told the company this but they said i am not eligible to enter Canada with my trade and the only way to get in family wise was if I had a wife who was Canadian.I am desperate to emigrate and I was wondering if anyone could help or give me some advice on how to proceed next. thanks
You really need to check out the CIC website and have a read through the various options. I would suggest that you, initially look at the Federal Skilled Worker section - it is fairly straightforward and self explanatory - then put another post on her if you hit difficulties.

It will also let you know what the process is for an application under the Family Class - what relatives qualify etc.

You will also need to be aware that current processing times are 3 years !! - that is once you have collated all the relevant paperwork and sent your application off. 3 years is only to the point of the officer assessing your application, medicals etc come after that

Good luck
Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

bart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud of

This probably misses the point, but if you really want to leave the UK and Canada is proving impossible I understand Australia is having a big push on immigration at the current time, just flagging it up in case it could be an option - they might be screaming for people with your work skills?
Old Sep 6th 2005, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

bugsy quine is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks bart i looked at australia last year and that just seems as hard but i will check again i just really want to get away from uk
Old Sep 6th 2005, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

smitp11 will become famous soon enoughsmitp11 will become famous soon enough

If you served an apprenticeship to become a welder this will score you more points. Check the official Canada website self assesment tool:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/assess/index.html
Old Sep 6th 2005, 5:41 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Having your trade will be of help only if you have a trade certificate, diploma or apprenticeship. If you learned on the job but have no diploma to prove it then your chances are nil.