Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How do I find a job before emigrating?

How do I find a job before emigrating?

Old Dec 9th 2004, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Bakerboy1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I find a job before emigrating?

Hi,

I am new to this forum so sorry if this has already been asked 1000's of times

My wife and I are planning on emigrating from the UK to Canada (Toronto). In order to gain the points required to emigrate I need to have a pre-arranged job. I am told that the emigration process takes between 2 and 3 years. If this is true, how do I get an employer to offer me a job knowing that I cannot start work for up to 3 years???

I don't get it

Thanks.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:02 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How do I find a job before emigrating?

Well prepared case will take 1 to 2 years in London, not 3 years. And yes, you won't be able to start working before you land as a PR, unless you obtain Work Permit earlier. So, one of the ways to come here earlier is to obtain Work Permit.

Originally Posted by Bakerboy1977
Hi,

I am new to this forum so sorry if this has already been asked 1000's of times

My wife and I are planning on emigrating from the UK to Canada (Toronto). In order to gain the points required to emigrate I need to have a pre-arranged job. I am told that the emigration process takes between 2 and 3 years. If this is true, how do I get an employer to offer me a job knowing that I cannot start work for up to 3 years???

I don't get it

Thanks.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Bakerboy1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Well prepared case will take 1 to 2 years in London, not 3 years. And yes, you won't be able to start working before you land as a PR, unless you obtain Work Permit earlier. So, one of the ways to come here earlier is to obtain Work Permit.
So, how long does it take to obtain a work permit and how long is it valid for?
Old Dec 9th 2004, 7:58 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bakerboy1977
So, how long does it take to obtain a work permit and how long is it valid for?
First you need an employer, this is extremly difficult for the reason you mentioned earyer, unless you have a very unique skill. Try www.workopolis.ca and www.monster.ca and headhunters, but this is a real tough one.
If you have an employer who wants to sponsor you, he can apply for the work permit. (It will probably take 2-3 months).

In parallel you can apply for PR.

Finding an employer is real tough, but you never know, you may get lucky. If you dont want to wait for your luck, you have to find another way to get the points. (learn french, education,....)

good luck