Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How do Canadian immigration view you with two passports?

How do Canadian immigration view you with two passports?

Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

_Aidan_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do Canadian immigration view you with two passports?

Hello,
I was wondering does anyone have any experience or knowledge on how Canadian immigration see people with two passports?

I'm from Northern Ireland therefore I have a British passport and an Irish one. I'm currently here in Toronto on my second year. First year was a working holiday visa, second year on a TWP - both on my British passport. I want to apply for Canadian Experience Class but the way I stand I will be a few months short of the 2years Canadian work experience required to do so. I was thinking about applying for a working holiday visa with my Irish passport as an Irish citizen to get a 3rd year here then I'll have the 2years required to apply for CEC.

Does anyone know how they would view this? I wouldn't be doing anything wrong - it's still me working in the country for the 2years required.

Any help would be really appreciated!
Aidan

Last edited by _Aidan_; Jan 24th 2011 at 1:51 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do Canadian immigration view you with two passports?

Canada doesn't have an issue with multiple citizenships. However, if you're not doing anything wrong, what's the reasoning behind not using your British passport again?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

not sure about this working holiday visas have a residency requirement. ie. your permanent residency for the previous 3 years must be britain if you use the british working holiday visa scheme. Check the requirement for the irish working holiday scheme. I would guess that you cant take advantage of both the irish and british schemes within that time frame. there have been lots of rule changes within the past couple of weeks so you need to have a detailed read of the regulations
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

_Aidan_ is an unknown quantity at this point

The reason I'm looking into using my Irish passport instead of my British one is the new rules which Irish people can get into Canada - they no longer have to go through USIT (Irish Bunac) therefore the whole process seems to be easier.
If I got another year through my British passport I'd have to go through Bunac's application process which costs a lot.

Thanks for your help...I've got more thinking to do...
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by _Aidan_
The reason I'm looking into using my Irish passport instead of my British one is the new rules which Irish people can get into Canada - they no longer have to go through USIT (Irish Bunac) therefore the whole process seems to be easier.
If I got another year through my British passport I'd have to go through Bunac's application process which costs a lot.

Thanks for your help...I've got more thinking to do...
you can avoid using bunac with the british system now too

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...nu_id=7&menu=L

It opened up last week, you have to be 30yrs old or younger. you are eligible even if you have had working holiday visas in the past

Bunac have 500 visas to give away, cic have 5000. No need to give bunac copious amounts of money