Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How did you arrange accommodation when you first landed?

How did you arrange accommodation when you first landed?

Old Mar 11th 2011, 7:27 pm
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future
Default How did you arrange accommodation when you first landed?

Just mulling over the process of finding accommodation once you have PR in your hand.

On the face of it it seems easy; get your visa, pack your container, book your flight, land and find somewhere to live.

When you start looking at the nitty gritty it's not that simple when you have kids in tow hence this post.

For those of you that have gone through the process, how did you arrange somewhere to live from thousands of miles away? Did you land and stay in a hotel initially or did you arrange a lease from abroad?

My biggest fear is not being able to find a rental property in our chosen area. The Colchester region is not awash with available rented property. What did you or would you do if you couldn't find anywhere decent in your chosen area?

I haven't got PR yet and already starting to worry about these practicalities and that is before you start considering schooling and jobs etc. Any advice?
Old Mar 11th 2011, 8:12 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you arrange accommodation when you first landed?

Our solution will be to rent a serviced apartment for a month (or two if need be) whilst we look for a suitable long term rental.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 8:15 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i managed to secure my rental while i was still in the UK
Old Mar 11th 2011, 9:33 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

When we first arrived (complete with 2 kids, a dog and a cat) our realtor "put us up" until we purchased a house. We were there for 6 weeks.

We actually rent our basement guest suite out now to people in such circumstances (or when on recces too). It gives them somewhere to move into that's furnished with a home like environment for a short period of time whilst they sort out either a house purchase themselves or longer term rented accommodation. I think the longest we've had anyone stay so far is for three months whilst they found a house to buy. Others have already sorted out other long term or permanent accommodation but have stayed with us for a very short period just whilst they wait for their furniture to arrive from the UK.

I would imagine there are similar set ups in other parts of the country. It seems to work well in that it also gives people an opportunity to view potential long term rentals in person rather than just viewing over the Internet.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I flew out a couple of months before we landed to purchase a house. We were due to take possession a day after we landed. We had three kids and two rotties in tow.

Our flight was delayed for 24 hours (try staying in an airport for that amount of time with those hangers on) so we went straight from the airport to our house. However, we had planned to go shopping on the day we landed for items we would need to tide us over.

By the time we arrived, everything was shut, so we slept in an empty house with nothing but our suitcases. Luckily, our realtor provided bread, breakfast materials, paper plates, a toaster and a kettle, etc. It was minus 25 or so and we had no blankets. We slept on bare floors. What an introduction to life in Canada
Old Mar 11th 2011, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

coal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura about

I searched for accomodation on the local craigs list and found a furnished rental where the landlord was just needing to rent out his suite for a short period of time. It worked well for both of us and he agreed to it over the phone before I left the UK. He turned out to be a decent chap and became a friend while I was there.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I tried arranging somewhere to live from the UK. I found something and started talking to the landlord. He agreed to hold it for me if I came over to sort out paperwork.

I arrange flight and the landlord was supposed to meet me once I got to the hotel. I arrived in my hotel and start calling the landlord he doesn't answer. I keep calling until after a few hours he answers and says he thought I was not genuine and tells me about some scam that some people try to play.

After giving him a piece of my mind, I find a realtor instruct him and then return to the Uk.

He then starts sending me listings. None of them work out for various reasons, so in the end I book our flight and also book my family into a hotel and start looking.

I found a property after a few days, but ended up having to pay them three months rent in advance as I did not have a job at the time. Two months later we find a place to buy
Old Mar 12th 2011, 6:44 am
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

Thank you for all your replies which have given me a couple of ideas.

Almost Canadian - that sounds awful and the kind of situation I am trying to avoid

If anybody knows any good property rentals/companies in or around Truro, NS please pass them on. It is proving very difficult to find anything on the net and we don't really want to buy straight away.

Thanks again
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:30 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rubie

It is hard going in this part of NS, we were lucky to find a rental on kijiji whilst still in the uk and the landlord was happy to hold for us until we arrived, we had huge help from some friends here to get deposits paid etc and for them to meet the landlady face to face on our behalf.

There are no rental companies as such, other than for apartments in Truro area, all rentals seem to be privately done via kijiji.

It also has challenges dealing from the UK, like a PP said sometimes they wont believe it is genuine, which is understandable, it will be a lot easier once you are here.

Our back up plan was hiring a suite at the willowbend motel in Truro for a month when we first arrived to allow us time to find something.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

UK2USA2CA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rubie
Just mulling over the process of finding accommodation once you have PR in your hand.

On the face of it it seems easy; get your visa, pack your container, book your flight, land and find somewhere to live.

When you start looking at the nitty gritty it's not that simple when you have kids in tow hence this post.

For those of you that have gone through the process, how did you arrange somewhere to live from thousands of miles away? Did you land and stay in a hotel initially or did you arrange a lease from abroad?

My biggest fear is not being able to find a rental property in our chosen area. The Colchester region is not awash with available rented property. What did you or would you do if you couldn't find anywhere decent in your chosen area?

I haven't got PR yet and already starting to worry about these practicalities and that is before you start considering schooling and jobs etc. Any advice?
Hi Rubie

Depending on what time of year you arrive, I know a guy who will rent a 3 bedroom cottage in Brookfield. It’s a fully furnished vacation rental which last year he was willing to rent during the winter months (Oct 10 – Jun 11) for $1550 per month. Everything in, except telephone. I think that also includes cable TV and wood pellets for the stove. You’d need to confirm all of this with the owner. We stayed there during our visit last year and really enjoyed the place. It’s on Shortts Lake.

Good luck and PM me if you want details
Old Mar 12th 2011, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

It is good to think about these things, for us we knew we had to buy as we was coming over with 3 dogs. Thankfully we found a really good realtor here in Cumberland county and I came out in Feb and she rushed everything through so 1st April we signed for everything and dogs followed 3 days later giving us chance to move some things into the house