Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How come people are waiting years?

How come people are waiting years?

Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:59 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
karenD's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 62
karenD has a brilliant futurekarenD has a brilliant futurekarenD has a brilliant futurekarenD has a brilliant futurekarenD has a brilliant futurekarenD has a brilliant futurekarenD has a brilliant future
Post How come people are waiting years?

Hi all,

Just a question regarding the timelines I've been reading on this forum. I've been told (even by Canadian Immigration email) that the wait time for a FSW cat1 is 6-12 months. Yet there seem to be some poor souls on this forum that have been waiting YEARS!

What's going on?
karenD is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:07 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sherwood Park - Alberta
Posts: 761
JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all
Default Re: How come people are waiting years?

The old system I believe was clogged up, and if you applied you were probably filed for 2 years before being looked at. Not sure if this is the case. Just the bulk of people applying to get in.

Nov 2008 CIC released a LIST of the 38 most in demand Occupations across Canada. For a FSW after the deadline (cannot remember what date) you HAD to be in one of the 38 Occupations to get processed.

The new FSW on the list are so called fast tracked in 6-12 months - whi8le the others before will still be processed in 36-48 months ??

This is a very brief update as to answer the question based on my limited understanding.

JET
JET747 is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:22 am
  #3  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 4,483
Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How come people are waiting years?

Those who must wait years are generally held up by security and terrorism background checks. I know of persons who are only just getting a look after more than 6 years. I would guess that the hope is that those applicants will give up on the idea of emigrating. Sad but too often true.
Jim Humphries is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:42 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
PaulOK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 197
PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice
Default Re: How come people are waiting years?

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Those who must wait years are generally held up by security and terrorism background checks. I know of persons who are only just getting a look after more than 6 years. I would guess that the hope is that those applicants will give up on the idea of emigrating. Sad but too often true.
That would suck, especially as everything would be out-of-date and would need to be re-submitted.

6+ years!!! I'd definitely get the message and give up. It's like being at a party where the hosts just don't want you to be there!

Last edited by PaulOK; Feb 18th 2010 at 10:54 am. Reason: Pointless question removed
PaulOK is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:56 am
  #5  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,708
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How come people are waiting years?

Hi

Originally Posted by PaulOK
That would suck, especially as everything would be out-of-date and would need to be re-submitted.

6+ years!!! I'd definitely get the message and give up. It's like being at a party where the hosts just don't want you to be there!

The main reason was the points were dropped from 75 to 67, so nearly everyone qualified. If you look at Lexbase for 2007 waiting list/compared to office quota it will give you a pretty good idea why the system had to be changed. https://www.cmi-icm.ca/fr/.../Lexbas...%20Lexbase.pdf

What should be really interesting is when CIC/CHC starts hitting the target of 139K-146K economic class applicants, especially early in the year, then they will just return the applications, whether qualified or not. The applicants will be told to apply in the next year. A quote from the report to parliament.

"The Department now has the legislative authority to limit the intake of new applications should the risk of new backlogs emerge."

Last edited by PMM; Feb 18th 2010 at 12:01 pm.
PMM is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:31 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
PaulOK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 197
PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice
Default Re: How come people are waiting years?

Thanks PMM. That's an interesting link. Something had to be done to reduce the ridiculous backlogs that built up prior to November 2008. They were unfair on the applicants and the people who worked at CIC.
PaulOK is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:55 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,533
lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How come people are waiting years?

Originally Posted by PaulOK
Thanks PMM. That's an interesting link. Something had to be done to reduce the ridiculous backlogs that built up prior to November 2008. They were unfair on the applicants and the people who worked at CIC.
Hi
Having been in the system since Jan 2006, it absolutely infuriates me that more resources were not dedicated to clearing the backlog and processing the old cases.

In our case, as in many, we were tied up in a backlog and then wrongfully refused on education, necessitating a 1 year court battle, which we were successful with. But what that meant for us....was an extra year and a half on our processing time.

I suppose that CHC will argue that when they changed the rules, that they should have been able to 'kick the old ones in the backlog out'. That however would have caused such a backlash, that I believe they were hoping that people would get fed up with waiting and simply withdraw their applications.

So what are we left with.....a lengthy wait or dashed hopes and dreams.
Thankfully we are now at the end of our journey and Yes it will be worth it....but the anger remains...as due to falling into recession and the $ - £ rates plummeting.....people now have less in the way survival funds to take with them as their assets have depleted.

This is all based on my opinion of our journey.
Stef
lins and Stef McLachlan is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:39 pm
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Coffeepot's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: back in Cambs
Posts: 7,157
Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How come people are waiting years?

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
Having been in the system since Jan 2006, it absolutely infuriates me that more resources were not dedicated to clearing the backlog and processing the old cases.

In our case, as in many, we were tied up in a backlog and then wrongfully refused on education, necessitating a 1 year court battle, which we were successful with. But what that meant for us....was an extra year and a half on our processing time.

I suppose that CHC will argue that when they changed the rules, that they should have been able to 'kick the old ones in the backlog out'. That however would have caused such a backlash, that I believe they were hoping that people would get fed up with waiting and simply withdraw their applications.

So what are we left with.....a lengthy wait or dashed hopes and dreams.
Thankfully we are now at the end of our journey and Yes it will be worth it....but the anger remains...as due to falling into recession and the $ - £ rates plummeting.....people now have less in the way survival funds to take with them as their assets have depleted.

This is all based on my opinion of our journey.
Stef
Very well put Stef, We are AOR April 07 would qualify under the new list but still not processed i have contacted CIC 3 times recently and had one reply to my last email as everyone else seemed to have had there updates and some there meds etc, we were told we were still within the time stated on the AOR 42-48 months so wait for your update request
Had convinced myself the letter must have gone missing in the postal strike ?

If we were able to withdraw our application now and re apply under the new system i honestly beleive we would still get our PR quicker than through the old system, i have nothing against them changing the system as it was clearly not working but as said they should have cleared the backlog before fast tracking all the new applicants,

I am so pleased Stef that you were able to win your case and have the chance to live your dream, hope others on here that i know are worried about the old points system are able to do the same

Also seems CIC are very quiet at the moment no updates have come out for some time ? wonder why
Coffeepot is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:08 pm
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 715
MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all
Default Re: How come people are waiting years?

One thing iv always wondered is with the falling exchange rate and then having to wait years to get to Canada....Is it really worth it for some people as their funds maybe limited and going out there with as above poster said survival funds and no job or having to rent and looking for a job...is it still really worth it?! Especially for some people who are comfortable in the UK and looking for change..wouldnt it be easier to move within in the Uk or is it something else that draws you to Canada?!...Even meaning that you may struggle and have to return like some do or suck it up and live a worse life then what you did in the Uk......

Just wondering really if people do continue with their plan or give it up and concentrate on a comfortable life in the UK....

MR79
MR79 is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2010, 2:20 am
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Coffeepot's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: back in Cambs
Posts: 7,157
Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How come people are waiting years?

Originally Posted by MR79
One thing iv always wondered is with the falling exchange rate and then having to wait years to get to Canada....Is it really worth it for some people as their funds maybe limited and going out there with as above poster said survival funds and no job or having to rent and looking for a job...is it still really worth it?! Especially for some people who are comfortable in the UK and looking for change..wouldnt it be easier to move within in the Uk or is it something else that draws you to Canada?!...Even meaning that you may struggle and have to return like some do or suck it up and live a worse life then what you did in the Uk......

Just wondering really if people do continue with their plan or give it up and concentrate on a comfortable life in the UK....

MR79

Good point,
i think a lot like us who want a change and have a good life here are rethinking the situation,This has caused more than a few sleepless nights i can tell you.

For us its a case of if we don't will we always regret it ?? also thinking about our little man soon to be 9 what is there for him here ? dad commuting every day so he only really sees him at the weekends and he is shattered for the most,

where as in Canada we can live somewhere mortgage free ( yes we could do that here ) he can do a job where he can work within half an hour (or less ) and be home for us, we love the outdoors life and there is so much more of it there even with the weather. there is a pull to go there, we just hope we are not making a mistake, think you have to look at the quality of life rather than £ + $ at least thats what we are doing

We are leaving 3 older children here all at uni plus grand children
sad as that is i am hoping they will have a fantastic time every time they come to see us, they realise why we want to do this, doesn't stop you feeling guilty though, but at some point you have to make that decision don't you, we all only get one crack at this life so make the most of it.
Coffeepot is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2010, 3:15 am
  #11  
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 4
Boba is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: How come people are waiting years?

Hi Everyone..
It seemed to me that this threat is most relevant for our case.
Application received at CHC Sept 2005.
90 days Dox update requested July 2007
Dox sent Sept 2007
Additional Dox requested Jan 2008
Additional Dox sent April 2008
Sent 4 emails since then to enquire
Answer was "file undergoing security checks"!!!
Passport renewed and updated Feb 2010
Still waiting!
Boba is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2010, 3:54 am
  #12  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sherwood Park - Alberta
Posts: 761
JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all
Default Re: How come people are waiting years?

Originally Posted by Boba
Hi Everyone..
It seemed to me that this threat is most relevant for our case.
Application received at CHC Sept 2005.
90 days Dox update requested July 2007
Dox sent Sept 2007
Additional Dox requested Jan 2008
Additional Dox sent April 2008
Sent 4 emails since then to enquire
Answer was "file undergoing security checks"!!!
Passport renewed and updated Feb 2010
Still waiting!
I truely feel for you guys. It has been just over 12 months since we sent in our initial application and we are starting to get frustrated. However, I don't know if I could have done what you have as it means putting life on hold for so long in so many ways.

Now you have come this far keep the spirit up and I am sure that it will all work out okay.

JET
JET747 is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2010, 3:56 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
PaulOK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 197
PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice
Default Re: How come people are waiting years?

Originally Posted by Boba
Hi Everyone..
It seemed to me that this threat is most relevant for our case.
Application received at CHC Sept 2005.
90 days Dox update requested July 2007
Dox sent Sept 2007
Additional Dox requested Jan 2008
Additional Dox sent April 2008
Sent 4 emails since then to enquire
Answer was "file undergoing security checks"!!!
Passport renewed and updated Feb 2010
Still waiting!
Sorry to hear that Boba and you've been waiting so long while "security checks" are taking place.

You don't have to answer this but can I ask if you are ex-military and/or have you lived in multiple countries around the globe? Just trying to think why the checks would be taking this long.

Hope you get Medical requests soon.

Last edited by PaulOK; Feb 19th 2010 at 3:58 am.
PaulOK is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2010, 4:00 am
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 715
MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all
Default Re: How come people are waiting years?

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Good point,
i think a lot like us who want a change and have a good life here are rethinking the situation,This has caused more than a few sleepless nights i can tell you.

For us its a case of if we don't will we always regret it ?? also thinking about our little man soon to be 9 what is there for him here ? dad commuting every day so he only really sees him at the weekends and he is shattered for the most,

where as in Canada we can live somewhere mortgage free ( yes we could do that here ) he can do a job where he can work within half an hour (or less ) and be home for us, we love the outdoors life and there is so much more of it there even with the weather. there is a pull to go there, we just hope we are not making a mistake, think you have to look at the quality of life rather than £ + $ at least thats what we are doing

We are leaving 3 older children here all at uni plus grand children
sad as that is i am hoping they will have a fantastic time every time they come to see us, they realise why we want to do this, doesn't stop you feeling guilty though, but at some point you have to make that decision don't you, we all only get one crack at this life so make the most of it.

I think alot people have the if we dont do it now we may regret it one day attitude?!

Yes if you get that quality of life that you would not get here in the UK, then it is worth it, half hour to work and back, quality time with the kids and partner and to live mortgage free...But how do people know they are guaranteed to work so close to home?! Also what about if circumstances change and they have to change employment which takes them back to square one?!

what about having to wait 4+ to get your visa, then go there and it is not what they always thought it would be...i wonder how people react and what they do?!
MR79 is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2010, 4:10 am
  #15  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sherwood Park - Alberta
Posts: 761
JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all
Default Re: How come people are waiting years?

Surely it is better to try and fail than not try at all.

I won't be mortgage free, and we both see benefits of the Canadian dream for the family - - but we both know that we will have to work harder than here and it is our children that will see the biggest benefit of all and that is what we are happy with.

As the OP said ....there is nothing here for the Children's future.

JET
JET747 is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.