How to chase PR cards up?

Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:01 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of
Default How to chase PR cards up?

We landed in Toronto on 27 May and have still not received our PR cards. Is that normal? We are still in Canada.

I am very confused, as I thought you get the initial PR card automatically, but I have seen this application guide on line. Does this mean that we need to complete some extra forms to get the PR cards? Nobody mentioned this at the border?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/pdf/kits/guides/5445E.PDF

Please don't yell at me if this is a stupid question - I am so stressed out with job applications, etc. that my head is swimming and would just appreciate a quick answer.

Thanks a lot!
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:07 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of
Default Re: How to chase PR cards up?

Just to say, I read the WIKI and the way I read it is that I only had to give the immigration officer at the POE our Canadian address - which I did! There was no form filling on our part, etc.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Giggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant future

Hi, gotoronto! I landed on May 24th and received my PR card on Monday (June 30th). Don't worry, you should receive it by next week; it seems to take about 5 weeks to come through!!
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:20 pm
Elusive dreamer

Thanks soooo much. That's making me feel a lot better. Hope you are enjoying your new life.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:23 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

PR cards can take up to 8 weeks to come through so don't panic. You don't need to do anything else, the details you gave on landing are enough.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Giggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant future

I was panicking last week about my PR card so I know how you feel! LOL

Yup, loving it here in Canada; although I've been here almost 5 years in August it gets better everyday!! I hope you and your family are enjoying it here too!!

Kate
Old Jul 5th 2008, 5:17 pm
Elusive dreamer

Wished I could say that we are enjoying it... but actually, we may be on the "returning to the UK" forum soon.

Grass is definitely not greener over here for us as we have discovered ... just about the same... except London (UK) has more jobs than Toronto. We are giving it 2 more months or so, then we'll decide what to do. Just want to make the right decision this time - and not through rose tinted glasses.

Still, we do not regret coming here. We would not have known if we had not tried.

Thanks for the responses re PR cards, everyone. That puts my mind at ease.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that! Would you consider trying another place in Canada? I actually came out here 3 times before I felt it was right to stay...first time I went to Toronto, but I really didn't enjoy it there. Second time I came to Montreal, found a job but it turned out to be a really bad job and I couldn't stand it so I went back home...Third time lucky!! I came out here to Montreal again in August 2003 and ended up staying!! Maybe it's that Toronto isn't the right place for you!! Montreal is a great place, very European like. If I wasn't in Montreal I would move to Vancouver!! My boyfriend and I have spoken about it and maybe in the not so far off future that's where we will be!!

Definitely give it a couple more months!! What type of job are you looking for? Maybe I can offer some advice?

Kate
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

RGPickles will become famous soon enoughRGPickles will become famous soon enough

Hi Desiree

Stick it out!

We landed in Nova Scotia, they were real nice, made us feel very special, then we went through your situation... what the... different planet... no jobs...

If you came back to the UK as we did you would HATE it! My wife finally ACK'ed
that the UK was just too full(I cut that short)!

There is a whole lot of opportunities in NS, wait till we get out to Toronto, before you make a BIG mistake... We will visit Ottawa August, just wait until then.

Bob
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Dr.T is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, Gotoronto!

Could you please give me an update on your PR cards and whether you feel better about living in Canada? It was a big decision to leave the UK and come to Canada and clearly a big decision to leave Canada and return to the UK to live. As they've said on this thread; Canada is a very diverse country and offers a number of differing livestlyles - I sincerely hope with a bit of research you can find a part of Canada in which you feel at home - Although I'm an 8th generation Canadian myself there are parts of Canada in which I feel very much 'at home' and parts where I feel it just isn't 'me'. So before you give it up please 'kick the tires' some more; I'd be surprised if you didn't find somewhere in this beautiful country that would appeal to you and your family.

In any case, all the best. And on the PR card front; my Partner and her son are still awiting their PR cards: we landed in Vancouver on July 9th and are still waiting (that's about 5 weeks). How long did it take for yours to arrive?

Dr.T
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

RGPickles will become famous soon enoughRGPickles will become famous soon enough

Hi

We land on 19th June and we received our PR cards on the 5th of August.
About 5 or 6 weeks.

Now we are selling the house and I am looking for a job, but on the job front, they seem to be very slow at looking at Resume's. I believe that there are a lot of unemployed people right now trying to find jobs, this may be why?

Bob