How can we get in?

Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:13 am
Just Joined

happymonday is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How can we get in?

DH father was born in Canada to a Canadian Father. DH father moved over to the uk at age 1 in 1948 and has since been naturalized in the UK.

Would we be able to get into Canada?

Another option is the work route but I am not sure how I stand with that at the mo. I am currently training for a profesional qualification and hope that perhaps is another way of getting in.

I would be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction for information.

Many thanks!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:49 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can we get in?

What's DH if you don't mind me asking, and did the father retain his Canadian citizenship when he was naturalized as British?
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happymonday
DH father was born in Canada to a Canadian Father. DH father moved over to the uk at age 1 in 1948 and has since been naturalized in the UK.

Would we be able to get into Canada?

Another option is the work route but I am not sure how I stand with that at the mo. I am currently training for a profesional qualification and hope that perhaps is another way of getting in.

I would be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction for information.

Many thanks!
I think your first point of call needs to be to check if DH is a Canadian citizen by descent. He may well be if his father was a citizen, but I don't know enough about it to give you an answer I'm afraid. Have a look at the CIC website and the relevant section, and then you can see if he is eligible for citizenship (I seem to recall there is a fairly straightforward citizenship test you can take on the website). Fingers crossed he is!

If he isn't, and you need to get a visa to move to Canada, then all of the info you need is in the Wiki on this forum (on blue bar at top of page). This page is a good place to start..............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

Hope that helps a bit, welcome to the forum. Once you've figured out the citizenship question and/or read the relevant articles in the Wiki then do come back with any questions.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replys.
I dont know if FIL retained his Canadian Citizenship at a guess I would say no. Does that effect things? I am going to try and find out about Canadian citizen certificate and see if DH at least my qualify.

DH- Darling husband
FIL-Father in law
BIL- Brother in law
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know if FIL retained his Canadian citizenship at a guess I would say no.
I would guess the opposite. Why would he have gone to the effort of renouncing his Canadian citizenship? I'm presuming your FIL is just a dual citizen of both Canada and the UK, he would have had a reason to renounce his Canadian citizenship and it would be rare for him to have done so.

Here is the test from the CIC website by the way..............http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...es/tool_04.asp

So if you take that it should give you answer. I'm guessing he will be a citizen, so it will be fairly straightforward for him to sponsor you all for PR, but that is just a guess!

If your DH is not a Canadian citizen, does he have any family members currently living in Canada and if so, in which province(s)??

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 7th 2010 at 11:42 am.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:55 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

It is quite unusual for someone to renounce their citizenship from a home country that allows dual citizenship really unless they are in exile from that country for some reason or another.

He may not have a Canadian passport anymore but that doesn't always mean that his citizenship was renounced.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Thank you everybody. Looking at the test DH would be a Canadian Citizen. I will call up in a mo and see if I can get a form.

I dont suppose anybody can point me in the right direction for me and the kids, how we could move over and work?

Many thanks everybody x
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you everybody. Looking at the test DH would be a Canadian Citizen. I will call up in a mo and see if I can get a form.

I dont suppose anybody can point me in the right direction for me and the kids, how we could move over and work?

Many thanks everybody x
Great new, congrats.

Info on spousal sponsorship is in the Wiki that I mentioned earlier. Your hubby will sponsor you all, and you'll all gain Permanent Residency. Because he is a citizen, he can do that from the UK so you can all have PR before moving over.

Good luck!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 12:03 pm
Sidecar Falcon

It's great to see things working out easily and smoothly for someone, it doesn't happen very often unfortunately.