How can I sponsor a girlfriend?

Old Feb 24th 2008, 11:12 am
Just Joined

pranalee is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How can I sponsor a girlfriend?

Hi all,

Finally, I just became a landed immigrant last week. Woohoo ...

Now I want to sponsor my girlfriend back home. How do I do this? Should I go back to my country, get married, then file a sponsorship application? Or should I file the sponsorship application and then get married in Canada?

Lee
Old Feb 24th 2008, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can I sponsor a girlfriend?

Getting married will help, but isn't a good reason to get married.

You will need to prove that your relationship is long standing. What evidence do you have for this?
Old Feb 24th 2008, 11:27 am
Just Joined

We've been together for 2 1/2 years. I have plane tickets as proof of travel together, family meetings, etc...

so... should I go home and get married then apply ... ? Or ... should I apply and get married later?

How come this isn't told in the guide?

I'll appreciate further information.

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Getting married will help, but isn't a good reason to get married.

You will need to prove that your relationship is long standing. What evidence do you have for this?
Old Feb 24th 2008, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure enough of the facts to advise you when and where it would be better to marry.

One piece of advice I would give you though.

You hopefully will only get married once. Don't make this really special occasion an administrative detail in your immigration.

If you want to get married, have the wedding that you and your girlfriend want, in the place you want, with the people you want.

Everything else is secondary as if you are married and have proof of a long term relationship, common sense tells me that it will all work out OK.

I am sure an expert will be along in a minute to give you the nitty gritty details.

Good luck with all of your plans.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 11:52 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

From memory I think the guide had stuff about actually living together rather than just being in a relationship.

It's very much a personal thing. I was always one of those who thought what's the point of marrying; does a piece of paper make that much difference?

So logically one might think the reverse is true. If being together is what's important and you want to be together in a different country, well that piece of paper may take on greater importance if it eases the path. So what's the point in NOT getting it - if you see what I mean.
Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
You hopefully will only get married once. Don't make this really special occasion an administrative detail in your immigration.

If you want to get married, have the wedding that you and your girlfriend want, in the place you want, with the people you want.
In our case we were happy with the small registry office event. That's what we had.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

BristolUK, if you don't mind sharing your experience a bit further - Did you get married BEFORE you applied for a sponsorship or AFTER?

Originally Posted by BristolUK

In our case we were happy with the small registry office event. That's what we had.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pranalee
BristolUK, if you don't mind sharing your experience a bit further - Did you get married BEFORE you applied for a sponsorship or AFTER?
Before. My wife is Canadian.

We married in July 2004 in Canada. I returned to England to finish up working, sell house etc.

I returned to Canada later - as a 'visitor' - and we did it all from there.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:25 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been together for 2 1/2 years. I have plane tickets as proof of travel together, family meetings, etc...

so... should I go home and get married then apply ... ? Or ... should I apply and get married later?

How come this isn't told in the guide?

I'll appreciate further information.
Please define and expand "we've been together for 2 1/2 years". What period of time you lived together? Are you engaged?
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

No ... we're neither engaged nor have lived together. But our parents, relatives, and friends know about the relationship.

So ... get married before or after I applied for a sponsorship? Do I have to go back and marry her? Any other way around?

Sorry for the stupid question but I can't find the answer anywhere in the guide.

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Please define and expand "we've been together for 2 1/2 years". What period of time you lived together? Are you engaged?
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:17 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

No ... we're neither engaged nor have lived together. But our parents, relatives, and friends know about the relationship.

So ... get married before or after I applied for a sponsorship? Do I have to go back and marry her? Any other way around?

Sorry for the stupid question but I can't find the answer anywhere in the guide.
You are either going to have to be married or live together as a common law couple for a year, before you can sponsor. Your choice.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 11:33 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably good you weren't common-law or married during your PR process as I rather suspect failing to declare a spouse would render your PR invalid.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

OK thanks all for the reply It's great to finally make a decision.

By the way, my girlfriend was denied entry to the USA in 2006. There was no reason given by the US embassy.

Should I declare this in the application? Will they check if I don't declare? If I do declare, will this be a problem?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:38 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

OK thanks all for the reply It's great to finally make a decision.

By the way, my girlfriend was denied entry to the USA in 2006. There was no reason given by the US embassy.

Should I declare this in the application? Will they check if I don't declare? If I do declare, will this be a problem?
Yes she has to include in her application and yes they do check.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the advice, PMM

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi
Yes she has to include in her application and yes they do check.