Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How can a 19 year old go about immigrating to Canada?

How can a 19 year old go about immigrating to Canada?

Old Feb 27th 2012, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

alex17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How can a 19 year old go about immigrating to Canada?

I am participating in the 2012 IEC Canada (Toronto) which is currently in process. I was wondering if I decide that I want to stay permamently after my 12 months is up can I do so and how would I go about doing so? I do have family in Toronto which may be able to sponsor me? Do I require to have a skill that is in demand to stay or can I do it via a job sponsoring me to stay?

Would really appreciate replies. Many thanks!
Old Feb 27th 2012, 3:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can a 19 year old go about immigrating to Canada?

Originally Posted by alex17
I am participating in the 2012 IEC Canada (Toronto) which is currently in process. I was wondering if I decide that I want to stay permamently after my 12 months is up can I do so and how would I go about doing so? I do have family in Toronto which may be able to sponsor me? Do I require to have a skill that is in demand to stay or can I do it via a job sponsoring me to stay?

Would really appreciate replies. Many thanks!
What family do you have in Toronto?

If they can't sponsor you (unlikely), then you're going to need a permanent job offer from an employer to stay, so impress the hell out of your employer when you start work!

It's worth remembering that if you are going to Ontario then you will need a 'skilled' job offer to get PR (many provinces have 'semi-skilled' streams under their PNP's, but ON isn't one of them). This is less onerous than it sounds, but the job offer would need to be for a job that is Skill Level A, O or B on the NOC Matrix (literally thousands of them).

So make sure you get something that qualifies for that. What do you currently do in the UK?
Old Feb 27th 2012, 3:54 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

If they can't sponsor you (unlikely), then you're going to need a permanent job offer from an employer to stay, so impress the hell out of your employer when you start work!

It's worth remembering that if you are going to Ontario then you will need a 'skilled' job offer to get PR (many provinces have 'semi-skilled' streams under their PNP's, but ON isn't one of them). This is less onerous than it sounds, but the job offer would need to be for a job that is Skill Level A, O or B on the NOC Matrix (literally thousands of them).

So make sure you get something that qualifies for that. What do you currently do in the UK?
Theres always the marriage option too
Old Feb 27th 2012, 3:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Not something I'd recommend at 19 though.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply, it is my Uncle in Toronto. That sounds good to me, do you have a link with the job types for Level A, O and B? New to this stuff and not sure what it means. I currently work in Retail in my Dad's company.

Originally Posted by iaink
Yeah I hear ya, can't see that happening at my age though, but you never know!
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Link to NOC website

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...1/Welcome.aspx
Old Feb 27th 2012, 5:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for the reply, it is my Uncle in Toronto. That sounds good to me, do you have a link with the job types for Level A, O and B? New to this stuff and not sure what it means. I currently work in Retail in my Dad's company.
OK, so your Uncle can't sponsor you, so that's no good.

FL has given you the link you need, it's the NOC Matrix you need to look at - make sure any job you get is Skill Level A, O or B on it (rather than C or D). If you're unsure, you can look up a job using the search on the bottom left, then that will give you the NOC code, which you can then check on the Matrix to see which skill level it comes under.

HTH, good luck.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

OK, so your Uncle can't sponsor you, so that's no good.

FL has given you the link you need, it's the NOC Matrix you need to look at - make sure any job you get is Skill Level A, O or B on it (rather than C or D). If you're unsure, you can look up a job using the search on the bottom left, then that will give you the NOC code, which you can then check on the Matrix to see which skill level it comes under.

HTH, good luck.
Right, I want to do Bartending out there which seems to be under Skill Level C...Will this mean I have no chance in getting a PR then even if I work my ass off for the employer? Guess I will either have to look into another occupation or just suck it up that I can only have a year...
Old Feb 27th 2012, 8:27 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Are you real? I do not think this is a genuine query.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Are you real? I do not think this is a genuine query.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 7:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Right, I want to do Bartending out there which seems to be under Skill Level C...Will this mean I have no chance in getting a PR then even if I work my ass off for the employer? Guess I will either have to look into another occupation or just suck it up that I can only have a year...
Yep, no chance of PR with a skill level C job if you are going to Ontario.

Two options from what I can see - one, get a higher skill level job (you said you've been working in offices, so you may have to forget bartending and do something like that instead if you want PR), or two, go to another province that has a 'semi-skilled' stream under it's PNP, such as BC or AB.

HTH.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

yu mama is an unknown quantity at this point

BC PNP entry level or semi skilled occupation code for applying for the nominee program
http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigrat.../tourism.page?

http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigrat...ocessing.page?
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Alberta nominee program is a little bit harder to get in than BC though as some previous experience are needed in the food & beverage processing industry but you can if you get a job in the foodservices industry, then you might be lucky there but youhave to have at least three years of experience in or outside of Canada

Anyway here's the info and good luck

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...-criteria.aspx
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Yep, no chance of PR with a skill level C job if you are going to Ontario.

Two options from what I can see - one, get a higher skill level job (you said you've been working in offices, so you may have to forget bartending and do something like that instead if you want PR), or two, go to another province that has a 'semi-skilled' stream under it's PNP, such as BC or AB.

HTH.

Or you can just go back to study after your one year work experience is up and apply through the graduate stream
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Thank's for all your help everyone. Will definitely consider the options