How to calculate residence

Old Jan 13th 2015, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

jeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the rough
Default How to calculate residence

Hi All,

We are about to apply for citizenship and am not sure how to complete the number of absence from Canada. One question that I have is, do you have to add any daily trips to the US when completing the number of days outside Canada. Also is there anywhere I can request for this information from CBSA.

Thanks
Old Jan 13th 2015, 4:21 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to calculate residence

day trips don't count

overnight ones do
Old Jan 13th 2015, 5:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Access to Information and Privacy - How to make a request under the Access to Information Act

Old Jan 13th 2015, 6:31 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

This is just out of sheer curiosity... do you count travel days? So if you leave Canada on Friday, and return on Sunday, how many days out of Canada are you counting?

When I applied for my UK citizenship, travel days did not count, so in the above scenario, it only counted as one day out of the country.

I know others just count the number of nights, so in the above, it would be two days out of the country.

Would Canada count it as one, two, or three days?
Old Jan 13th 2015, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO if you are in Canada on the Friday and return on the Sunday you have only been absent for one day.
If you can land as a PR with COPR and have it completed by 2355 hrs after arriving at 2330 hrs CIC count that as a day of being in Canada.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

jeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Siouxie please confirm if the form below is what i need to complete..

TRAVELLER'S API/PNR INFORMATION REQUEST
DEMANDE D'ACCÈS AUX RENSEIGNEMENTS IPV/DP
Old Jan 13th 2015, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
This is just out of sheer curiosity... do you count travel days? So if you leave Canada on Friday, and return on Sunday, how many days out of Canada are you counting?

When I applied for my UK citizenship, travel days did not count, so in the above scenario, it only counted as one day out of the country.

I know others just count the number of nights, so in the above, it would be two days out of the country.

Would Canada count it as one, two, or three days?
It is counted as 2 days according to the CIC citizenship calculator.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 7:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeff2679
Thanks Siouxie please confirm if the form below is what i need to complete..

TRAVELLER'S API/PNR INFORMATION REQUEST
DEMANDE D'ACCÈS AUX RENSEIGNEMENTS IPV/DP
No, that is for information given by a specific airline on a flight you took to or from Canada.

Traveller's API/PNR Information Request Form (BSF153 (07))

This form can be used to request your passenger data provided to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) by commercial carriers as part of the Advance Passenger Information / Passenger Name Record (API / PNR) program. The API / PNR program is designed to protect Canadians by enabling the CBSA to perform a risk assessment of travellers prior to their arrival in Canada. Please visit The CBSA's Enforcement Initiatives for more information.
To obtain personal information pertaining to your travels, you make the request under Privacy Act: Access to Information and Privacy - How to make a request under the <i>Privacy Act</i> - you can get to this page from the link I gave earlier.

It is far quicker to do it online.

Requests for personal information that is not yours must be made under the Access to Information Act: Access to Information and Privacy - How to make a request under the Access to Information Act

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 13th 2015 at 7:56 pm.