Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How to apply for TWP if currently on IEC visa?

How to apply for TWP if currently on IEC visa?

Old Mar 7th 2013, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

cherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant future
Default How to apply for TWP if currently on IEC visa?

Hi - I'm hoping someone will be able to help with this query, as I'm sure others must have been in a similar situation.
I've searched the forum (and the net in general!) but can't find any help for my specific query.

Myself and my husband are currently in Canada on the IEC. Our visa expires in June. My husband has obtained an LMO for his current position, so now needs to apply for the TWP.

However, we don't know whether we need to select that we need to extend a permit, or apply for a new one. We're confused, as we are currently living and working in Canada. However, the IEC cannot be extended.

If we try the route of a new permit, rather than extension, it seems to assume we are not currently working in Canada...

Any advice? Thank you in advance!
Old Mar 7th 2013, 6:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to apply for TWP if currently on IEC visa?

He's applying for a new one. Whereabouts are you, can you 'flagpole' at the border?

HTH.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherryj
Hi - I'm hoping someone will be able to help with this query, as I'm sure others must have been in a similar situation.
I've searched the forum (and the net in general!) but can't find any help for my specific query.

Myself and my husband are currently in Canada on the IEC. Our visa expires in June. My husband has obtained an LMO for his current position, so now needs to apply for the TWP.

However, we don't know whether we need to select that we need to extend a permit, or apply for a new one. We're confused, as we are currently living and working in Canada. However, the IEC cannot be extended.

If we try the route of a new permit, rather than extension, it seems to assume we are not currently working in Canada...

Any advice? Thank you in advance!
Where are you located? If you have the positive LMO then a quick trip down to the border flagpole or spend the $6 for the I94 waiver have lunch in the USA. Return to Canada ask for a TWP show CBSA the LMO and pay the $150 for the TWP and thats it.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

cherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant future

Thanks for the quick replies!

We are in Calgary, and have the positive LMO.

I didn't realise it was that (relatively!) simple, I thought we had to apply online or by post for the TWP.

So sounds like we should be able to take a trip into the US and get the TWP at the border? That would be great.

Is this info online anywhere? As I found the CIC website really hard to find information :<

Thanks again!
Old Mar 7th 2013, 6:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Is this info online anywhere? As I found the CIC website really hard to find information :<
You've been a member of BE for two years, have you not realised by now that 'if in doubt, check the Wiki'! http://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:_...o_apply-Canada or http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trip_a...lagpole-Canada

And from the 'horses mouth' i.e. the CIC website - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../work-temp.asp

HTH.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Yup, I did indeed check out the Wiki!

I just couldn't find any specific information anywhere relating to being on the IEC and then going through the LMO/TWP route so I just wanted to see if anyone who had perhaps done the same thing could confirm the correct route to follow.

I guess there's so many different options and circumstances, it all gets a bit confusing

Thank you for the tips & info!

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You've been a member of BE for two years, have you not realised by now that 'if in doubt, check the Wiki'! http://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:_...o_apply-Canada or http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trip_a...lagpole-Canada

And from the 'horses mouth' i.e. the CIC website - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../work-temp.asp

HTH.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

So we drove from Calgary to Montana this weekend, spent a couple of nights in Montana then headed back through the border to get our TWP....however they refused to issue it at the border. We were told to go back home and apply online....
Old Mar 25th 2013, 5:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

So we drove from Calgary to Montana this weekend, spent a couple of nights in Montana then headed back through the border to get our TWP....however they refused to issue it at the border. We were told to go back home and apply online....
Did they say why you couldn't get your TWP? That's incredibly odd.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Did they say why you couldn't get your TWP? That's incredibly odd.
They said it would take too long to do
Apparently if it was our first visa, they would have done it. But because we already have IEC, this complicated it for some reason.
She sent us home and told us to apply online....
Oh well - at least we had a nice weekend in Montana
Old Mar 25th 2013, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

They probably would have done it if your IEC was about to expire. As you still have until June they probably thought you've time enough to apply online. We came here on a LMO/TWP, when the PNP came through we drove to the border and asked for a new WP and they told us that there is still enough time on the TWP left and they wouldn't issue a new one. We then applied online. No probs there!

At least you had a nice weekend in Montana
Old Apr 6th 2013, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

snofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond repute

They said it would take too long to do
Apparently if it was our first visa, they would have done it. But because we already have IEC, this complicated it for some reason.
She sent us home and told us to apply online....
Oh well - at least we had a nice weekend in Montana
Hey,

Me and my boyfriend are in a similar situation to you guys, we arrived on our IEC Feb 27th and my boyfriend's employer has been able to add him onto his company's appoved LMO slots. The LMO's which his company were issued expire on May 28th and his employer has said that we have to activate the TWP at the border before then. I'm worried that as we have so long on our IEC visa, that they will refuse to issue a TWP at the border and then we only have a few weeeks to apply online. Could you give me the link to apply online please just in case we need it?

Thanks