Housing Taxes

Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

weener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the rough
Question Housing Taxes

On buying a house I see you have to pay a tax on the size of the property.
Is this a one of payment or does it have to be paid annually?
Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

juliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Housing Taxes

Originally Posted by weener
There's a tax to be paid when buying a house ( higher when it's new) and an annual tax.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 12:54 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weener
There is a land transfer tax...similar to stamp duty..google for the equation to work it out...its a little complicated, %rates go up at certain $$$ values.
If you buy a brand new house you pay GST on it, but its usually factored into the advertised price (unlike nearly everything else here), and I think there are some rebates available, although I dont know the details.

There is also property tax...similar to council tax, this is paid annually and is a percentage (set by your local municipality, usually 1 to 2 %) of the assessed value of your home, as assesed by MPAC. My experience of this is that what you pay for a house if what it will be assessed for initially, but that later increases typically are a little behind the market value. What this means in practice is that you will probably get a larger tax bill than the previous residents of the property.

Either way taxes are based on the value rather than the size of a property.

Cheers

Iain
Old Sep 16th 2004, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
There is a land transfer tax...similar to stamp duty..google for the equation to work it out...its a little complicated, %rates go up at certain $$$ values.
If you buy a brand new house you pay GST on it, but its usually factored into the advertised price (unlike nearly everything else here), and I think there are some rebates available, although I dont know the details.

There is also property tax...similar to council tax, this is paid annually and is a percentage (set by your local municipality, usually 1 to 2 %) of the assessed value of your home, as assesed by MPAC. My experience of this is that what you pay for a house if what it will be assessed for initially, but that later increases typically are a little behind the market value. What this means in practice is that you will probably get a larger tax bill than the previous residents of the property.

Either way taxes are based on the value rather than the size of a property.

Cheers

Iain
This may be a dumb question, but I haven't a clue about the Canadian tax system yet but does this percentage come out of your pre or post tax salary.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 4:59 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
This may be a dumb question, but I haven't a clue about the Canadian tax system yet but does this percentage come out of your pre or post tax salary.
Municipal taxes are not deductable for income tax purposes.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Municipal taxes are not deductable for income tax purposes.
Sounds painful. So for a $500,000 house in Calgary you would have to earn $10,000 per year just to pay for the municiple taxes. And I thought we were over taxed in Britain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 16th 2004, 5:20 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds painful. So for a $500,000 house in Calgary you would have to earn $10,000 per year just to pay for the municiple taxes. And I thought we were over taxed in Britain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know for Calgary but my taxes on a similar home in Victoria are much less than that: about one quarter in fact.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 5:32 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe my percentage rate is higher here in Rural Ontario than the norm cos the housing costs are a lot lower, and possibly the housing density too. You get a lot of house here for $500k!

Anyway, count on ~$1000 to ~$5000 range for property tax???
Old Sep 16th 2004, 5:34 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

You dont have to employ a full time fleet of people to clear snow from the streets in the winter in Britain!!!!!!! Someone has to pay for it
Old Sep 16th 2004, 5:36 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Typically the mortgage company will add it to your mortgage payment and pay them, not cos they are helpfull, they just dont want to get into a dispute with the township over who owns the house if you default on both the mortgage and the property taxes!