Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Housing crunch/TWP work in BC/Live out of BC and are Staffies allowed in Alberta

Housing crunch/TWP work in BC/Live out of BC and are Staffies allowed in Alberta

Old Jan 24th 2017, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Housing crunch/TWP work in BC/Live out of BC and are Staffies allowed in Alberta

A bit of a mixed up post but I didn't want to hog the forum even more with my millions of questions so thought it was easier putting them into one thread !

So typically more hurdles with this move.

My husbands new job is in the extremely remote part of Field. The nearest 'town' is Golden but after searching for rental houses, and talking to two letting agents there is a serious lack of homes available due to many being now under Air BNB.

We have now started to look at alternative areas - Lake Louise and Banff for starters but these are in Alberta . Are you allowed to get a TWP for BC but live outside of it. We are just looking for a temporary solution at the very least just to have a roof over our head. At the moment, our only option is to sell up here and buy out there which is something we do not want to do until and if PR aid granted.

If we can, and we are still living outside BC, can we still apply for BC PNP ( if we chose that route ?)

Would we then be granted admission if we landed at Calgary (being the closest airport) on a TWP that states my husband would be working in BC?

Finally, are Staffies allowed in these areas. I can't see anything that states otherwise!

Life is never simple 😐🙁

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 25th 2017, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing crunch/TWP work in BC/Live out of BC and are Staffies allowed in Alberta

Hi
I can't answer all your questions but this is what I think and others may disagree.
Field- absolutely tiny, middle of nowhere, extremely seasonal. Gets cuts off- avalanches, rock falls. Be hard to commute in.
Lake Louise- small - almost entirely devoted to tourists , I would think rental housing for a family would be very hard/very expensive.
Banff- very expensive, miles from Field. To own in Banff, I think you have to work in the NP. Again, rental housing for a family very difficult/extremely expensive.

Staffies- no idea but prime grizzly country so limited walking opportunities!

PNP- I would think BC expects you to live here.

TBH- unless you buy in Field, I don't know how that would work.You said the Okanagan was seasonal but, Field really is. There are 100's of restaurants in the OK which are busy all year.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing crunch/TWP work in BC/Live out of BC and are Staffies allowed in Alberta

Thanks - really appreciate the response.

It is a permanent and very good job in Field ! That's the annoying part ! We were made aware about how remote it is and there is now no school there but was advised to also look at Golden and Revelstoke - the latter seems also impossible to find a property to rent.

We couldn't live there. I like remote, but not that remote !

So frustrating as you are in a situation where you do not want to put a deposit down on a property until you actually get the LMIA and if you don't , you end up in this situation.

Quite possibly back to the drawing board.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 3:28 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victoria34
Thanks - really appreciate the response.

It is a permanent and very good job in Field ! That's the annoying part ! We were made aware about how remote it is and there is now no school there but was advised to also look at Golden and Revelstoke - the latter seems also impossible to find a property to rent.

We couldn't live there. I like remote, but not that remote !

So frustrating as you are in a situation where you do not want to put a deposit down on a property until you actually get the LMIA and if you don't , you end up in this situation.

Quite possibly back to the drawing board.
Field is way more remote than Revelstoke. Have you been to Field?
Old Jan 25th 2017, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
Field is way more remote than Revelstoke. Have you been to Field?
Hi Aviator

No, but we were aware it was a very (very) small community there which I knew we couldn't live there but was hoping that there may have been rental opportunities within a reasonable commuting distance. My husband has no objection to driving an hour or slightly more to work (for example) but if there is nowhere to live, then we have a huge problem.

We were looking at Revelstoke as said, but even that is quite a distance to travel.

I think we will just have to look elsewhere for employment. It's a shame because the job was exactly what he was looking for and the team seem fantastic.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 3:52 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Aviator

No, but we were aware it was a very (very) small community there which I knew we couldn't live there but was hoping that there may have been rental opportunities within a reasonable commuting distance. My husband has no objection to driving an hour or slightly more to work (for example) but if there is nowhere to live, then we have a huge problem.

We were looking at Revelstoke as said, but even that is quite a distance to travel.
An hours commute in good weather could become unfeasible in the winter. I don't think it's a good idea, particularly in the Rockies, to try and sustain that sort of travelling distance to work.

Revelstoke's a town with reasonable amenities, but it's not really commutable from anywhere else.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by R I C H
An hours commute in good weather could become unfeasible in the winter. I don't think it's a good idea, particularly in the Rockies, to try and sustain that sort of travelling distance to work.

Revelstoke's a town with reasonable amenities, but it's not really commutable from anywhere else.
I absolutely agree. I have been researching all day again today, and it just does not look feasible. Particularly as far as the kids go. We can't have them living in the 'outback' even if we did find a property. They need to make friends, not to mention the education.

Shame, but if anything it has given my husband confidence that Canadians do employ Brits whilst still in the UK. He was very dubious about it before.
I knew, because I am the one who has had the pleasure of finding this site !
Old Jan 25th 2017, 4:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

On the plus side, a job in such a remote location would mean it's much more likely to get a LMIA, as they'd struggle to find Canadians to work there.

I'm not sure if this thread should be moved as it's more about lifestyle type questions than immigration - I'll leave it here for now but if you want it moved to the main forum just let me know.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
On the plus side, a job in such a remote location would mean it's much more likely to get a LMIA, as they'd struggle to find Canadians to work there.
The points would have gone up !!
Old Jan 25th 2017, 6:06 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely agree. I have been researching all day again today, and it just does not look feasible. Particularly as far as the kids go. We can't have them living in the 'outback' even if we did find a property. They need to make friends, not to mention the education.

Shame, but if anything it has given my husband confidence that Canadians do employ Brits whilst still in the UK. He was very dubious about it before.
I knew, because I am the one who has had the pleasure of finding this site !
I agree with Rich. In the LM an hour or so year round is not a big deal. In the Rockies it would be a nightmare, or impassable on occasion. Field is one of those places nice to visit, sneeze and you miss it.

Outback in in Australia, it is in the bush, or back country here!

Visit and see for yourself. You may like it.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
I agree with Rich. In the LM an hour or so year round is not a big deal. In the Rockies it would be a nightmare, or impassable on occasion. Field is one of those places nice to visit, sneeze and you miss it.

Outback in in Australia, it is in the bush, or back country here!

Visit and see for yourself. You may like it.
It sounds like where I live now ! But we don't have grizzly bears or avalanches !
Old Jan 25th 2017, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like where I live now ! But we don't have grizzly bears or avalanches !
Nope no where near!!!
Think lion and pussy cat! Nowhere in the UK could compare except maybe some very remote parts of northern Scotland or some of the islands.

Field is surrounded by amazing scenery, I love that whole area- to visit! I could live in Banff if the tourists didn't drive me mad, but Field never.

Who ever said Revelstoke was a possible commute needs a psychiatrist- the road from there to Field is dangerous even in the summer and snow could fall any month.
Personally I think you would have to live in Field- you would double the population
Old Jan 25th 2017, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If just being issued a TWP employer specific then you can live anywhere.
Now when applying for PR under any Provincial Nomination Programme you would need to explain the situation to them as its under their rules who they will nominate which is a long long way off yet.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If just being issued a TWP employer specific then you can live anywhere.
Now when applying for PR under any Provincial Nomination Programme you would need to explain the situation to them as its under their rules who they will nominate which is a long long way off yet.
Thank you FL. My husband and I have been in debate yesterday and I have relayed all the kind comments and advice on here.

He really wants to do the job but we are realising that the area looks set to be too remote and the other problem is taking the job to see for himself about the problems look certain to arise with commuting in the bad weather and the job does not work out thus having to give it up. With kids, it seems too risky.

Part of us feels that if the commute was too awful, he would stand a good chance of obtaining other employment in a more sensible area. We have been told on numerous occasions that Head Chefs are in demand out there but of course it's getting out there in the first instance because not every employer you approach will sponsor the visa and then of course even being out there, we would have to start again with the visa process. That said, having done plenty of research, it is a huge risk and again, with the children, not one that we are likely to take. On the other hand, we may get lucky with renting a house in the next couple of months, but again, that looks doubtful with the housing situation as it is out there.

I'm a firm believer in if it's meant to be and it will happen when it happens. Maybe this just isn't the right time ! We will keep looking every day and see what happens.

I appreciate everyone's comments as always.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

It may be worth contacting the employer and explaining your predicament and seeing if anyone has a room to rent or one of those above garage properties?

I've noticed a lot of Canadians seem to rent out rooms or parts of their house but this may be limited to more densely populated areas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.