Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Hoping for PR, but no family or jobs as early retired.

Hoping for PR, but no family or jobs as early retired.

Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:38 am
Just Joined

celtic lady is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hoping for PR, but no family or jobs as early retired.

I've been searching a lot of threads for our situation about hopes to emigrate but none are similar....
My husband and I took early retirement 3 years ago and live in France at present, but would love to consider a permanent move to Canada. Our financial status is "self-funders", and we will receive a private pension in 5 years, and UK state pensions in 10 years. We have no debts anywhere and own property outright, are in private medical schemes, etc, and believe we can maintain this status in Canada.
I would VERY much welcome any advise or observations on our situation, and also if there is any advise going for area with 'best' climate options, how real estate compares to UK and/or France, average time scales (if there is such a thing!) for visas, generally any tips n' wrinkles.
Thankyou so much in advance.....
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:50 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping for PR, but no family or jobs as early retired.

Originally Posted by celtic lady
I've been searching a lot of threads for our situation about hopes to emigrate but none are similar....
My husband and I took early retirement 3 years ago and live in France at present, but would love to consider a permanent move to Canada. Our financial status is "self-funders", and we will receive a private pension in 5 years, and UK state pensions in 10 years. We have no debts anywhere and own property outright, are in private medical schemes, etc, and believe we can maintain this status in Canada.
I would VERY much welcome any advise or observations on our situation, and also if there is any advise going for area with 'best' climate options, how real estate compares to UK and/or France, average time scales (if there is such a thing!) for visas, generally any tips n' wrinkles.
Thankyou so much in advance.....
There isn't a retiree category or category for people who are financially independent that allows you to emigrate to Canada.

The main routes are:

Skilled Worker - must meet point score (takes about 3-4 years)
Family Class - a member of family in Canada sponsors you to emigrate (takes even longer)
Provincial Nominee Programs - only takes about 6 months but usually you need to have a guaranteed job offer a sound business plan and be planning to start a business (fastest route perhaps only 6 months)

You probably wouldn't meet the Skilled Worker points score if you are retired and also you loose points once you are over a certain age. Doesn't sound like the other routes are really appropriate in your circumstances. Unless you fancy coming out of retirement I don't know of an obvious route in.

If you are really concerned about climate then maybe Canada isn't the right place for you - Vancouver is I believe the mildest in winter but generally the climate can be fairly harsh.

Perhaps you could consider having a second home here? - you are allowed to spend up to 6 months of the year without having to become a permanent resident. Property prices in Nova Scotia are very reasonable but I don't have first-hand experience of other areas.