Hoping to move to Nova Scotia

Old Jul 9th 2019, 10:16 am
Just Joined

JackOL is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Hoping to move to Nova Scotia

Hi,
I am looking for some advise and help.

My Husband and I have always dreamed of moving to Nova Scotia.
He is currently 2 years into an Accountancy apprentiship, working towards the ACA qualification full time.

We are hoping that in 4ish years we can make the move to NS to start the life of our dreams. (Im currently 24 and he is 22).

My question really is, will his ACA qualification allow us to move over? I don't have any professional qualifications myself so I don't know if I need to do anything in the years coming up to moving or whether his qualification will be enough for us to move as a married couple.

Im sorry for the cluelessness, but I want to start learning early so we are prepared for the future!

Thanks,

J
Old Jul 14th 2019, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

sidjoloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hoping to move to Nova Scotia

Hi JackOL,

We dreamed of moving to Nova Scotia too, my mother has lived in Canada after marrying a Canadian in 2000, and we came on holiday every year and loved the place, the people and the lifestyle.

We decided we wanted to move to Canada too, trying first with Express Entry, but finding out straight away that we would not get enough points, first of all we are too old (so don't wait too long!) and both of our jobs are not on the "wanted" list. I am a Construction Estimator, and OH is ex forces, at the time he was a manager at Ocado, but now retired.

My advice would be to check the Atlantic Immigration Pilot pages, and also the list on the Express Entry pages, and see if his job is on the list. If there is anything on the list that you could do yourself, then in the next few years get as much experience as you can with a "wanted" occupation.

For example, over the years I had worked in Civil Engineering, but not recent enough for me to elect it as my occupation on EE. At the time, Civil Engineers were on the quick track, while construction managers were not. On the other hand, most construction trades (carpenter, steel fixer, driver etc) were on the fast track, so it's not automatically down to your seniority or academic level.

However, it is worth the wait. This place is wonderful. Have you visited here on holidays? It's even better when you get here.

Last edited by sidjoloo; Jul 14th 2019 at 1:00 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sidjoloo
Hi and see if his job is on the list. If there is anything on the list that you could do yourself, then in the next few years get as much experience as you can with a "wanted" occupation.
There is no wanted list of occupations associated with the express entry system. Any skilled work ((Noc code 0, A or B) is eligible.

OP the express entry system is a score based immigration system that manages a few immigration streams. The most common of which is the federal skilled worker. To qualify you will need to have 67 points on the fsw system.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-workers.html

if you have this you can then enter the pool where you will be ranked based on CRS score.
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

only the top scorers are then selected to apply, the required score changes based on the make-up of the pool but around 450 is a good baseline.

Note professional qualifications do not count for education scores only academic ones so the ACA is unlikely to be worth any points. In addition they would need to get professionally qualified here in Canada (CRA) eventually.

Given your ages you may be eligible for an IEC work permit which would give you 2 years in Canada. This can be useful to help build CRS points based on Canadian work experience and can also open up CEC as an immigration route. You can transition from work permit to PR while in Canada.

There are are of course multiple other routes.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Hoping to move to Nova Scotia

This is where I got the idea of a "wanted" occupation. My NOC is 2234 (Construction Estimator Skill Level B) or 0711 (Construction Manager Skill Level 0). As this is an item in the "Am I eligible for Express Entry" quiz, I was under the impression it would make a difference!

Apologies if my assumption is misleading.

I would still check the Atlantic Immigration Pilot, and study the list of employers who are already taking part in the pilot programmes. Being on the list does not mean they are actually hiring, but it gives you an idea of the kind companies who are finding local labour issues and that are willing to look at hiring foreign workers.

https://novascotiaimmigration.com/wp..._employers.pdf

Old Jul 14th 2019, 5:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

This is where I got the idea of a "wanted" occupation. My NOC is 2234 (Construction Estimator Skill Level B) or 0711 (Construction Manager Skill Level 0). As this is an item in the "Am I eligible for Express Entry" quiz, I was under the impression it would make a difference!
It does make a difference, but only in terms of which program one might be eligible for - that question is to ascertain if an applicant may be eligible for the FST or FST program.

So your job is eligible for EE (as thousands are), under FSW, but not FST.

HTH.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

I've found the item I was talking about before. This is the Nova Scotia Occupations in demand. https://novascotiaimmigration.com/mo...ons-in-demand/
When I read this a few years back, I felt that if I had known this before we started planning, I might have tried to get work experience in this area... perhaps volunteering as a nurse orderly in a hospital in the UK for at least a year!
My husband was even thinking of getting his HGV licence to help us along the way!
We went to a recruitment fair in London and they told us there are desperate for HGV drivers in NS and a job offer would be easy to get, but how do you get 1 years experience unless you have a job in the UK for at least a year? Just a thought towards the planning process, we didn't have enough points to get anywhere near the fringes of an invitation on Express Entry!

Old Jul 27th 2019, 9:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I've found the item I was talking about before. This is the Nova Scotia Occupations in demand. https://novascotiaimmigration.com/mo...ons-in-demand/
Ah, ok. That's not for EE though, it's for PNP.

We went to a recruitment fair in London and they told us there are desperate for HGV drivers in NS and a job offer would be easy to get, but how do you get 1 years experience unless you have a job in the UK for at least a year? Just a thought towards the planning process, we didn't have enough points to get anywhere near the fringes of an invitation on Express Entry!
Truck drivers aren't eligible for FSW/EE anyway, as they're not a skilled occupation. Tbh, sounds like that recruitment fair was a long time ago? Truckers are struggling to get LMIA's since the rule changes.

To get a LMIA trucking, you need more than one year's class 1 experience as a trucker. See the Wiki article for more info - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada_

HTH.