Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Police request From London Office

Hong Kong Police request From London Office

Old May 8th 2016, 9:26 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: london
Posts: 62
Bexleybuttler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hong Kong Police request From London Office

Hi Guys,

Firstly i was so happy to see and e-mail from London Processing Office and to know that they have now looked at my application.

Instead of the request for new Photos i had expected that have instead requested that i provide them with a POLICE CHECK from HONG KONG. GGGRRRR

Now i did know that this would be a possibility but having not lived in Hong Kong since 2008 (i thought that i read on the FAQ and CIC website that if you live in your home country for 6 years or more they will not require the other police checks) i thought that they would not request this. Added to the Fact that you Can Not get the Police Check done up front from Hong Kong i thought we would be fine...

So in the e-mail from CIC i they have requested that i get the relevant info back to them within 45 days.....

So i have 2 points / questions...
Firstly HK Police say that they will send the Police Record check directly to whichever agency has requested it...SO HOW WILL I KNOW WHEN IT HAS BEEN COMPLETED??? Does anyone have experience of this???

Secondly the processing time at HK for them to complete the check is 4 weeks. so this straight away puts a strain on the timeline secondly even more annoyingly i have to provide fingerprints, these can only be taken at a police station... I have phoned now 3 different Police Forces (MET CITy & Surrey) and the earliest possibly date to get my fingerprints taken and pay them the £79.20 is the 26th MAY.......... Even more strain on the 45 day timeline that CIC gave us...

Is it worth me e-mail back to CIC explaining the situation and asking them to base their decision on the info that they have all ready had??????? They said that if they do not get the requested info within 45 days they will make their decision based on info the have to date... Obviously i have no criminal record in England or Hong Kong i was only their for a year just want to press the application forward as quick as possible...


ANy Info suggestions or Experience would be gratefully received.

Of course i will get as much stuff done and completed as possible in line with the CIC request..
Bexleybuttler is offline  
Old May 8th 2016, 10:08 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: london
Posts: 62
Bexleybuttler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hong Kong Police request From London Office

Just Tried Sussex Police to get my Fingerprints done and i will be making the trip to Lewis Today....
Bexleybuttler is offline  
Old May 9th 2016, 3:25 am
  #3  
Home and Happy
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,853
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hong Kong Police request From London Office

Originally Posted by Bexleybuttler
Just Tried Sussex Police to get my Fingerprints done and i will be making the trip to Lewis Today....
Say hi to my former colleagues!!!
Pollyana is offline  
Old May 9th 2016, 4:05 am
  #4  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hong Kong Police request From London Office

Originally Posted by Bexleybuttler
Hi Guys,

(shortened)

Now i did know that this would be a possibility but having not lived in Hong Kong since 2008 (i thought that i read on the FAQ and CIC website that if you live in your home country for 6 years or more they will not require the other police checks) i thought that they would not request this. Added to the Fact that you Can Not get the Police Check done up front from Hong Kong i thought we would be fine...

(shortened)
How to get a police certificate (police check)

Spousal Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ : British Expat Wiki

Unfortunately, I think you got the wrong end of the stick there - there is no mention about '6 years' anywhere.
For the country you currently live in, the police certificate must be issued no more than six months before you apply.

For countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country.
The forms you will need for the HK application can be found here: How to Get a Police Certificate – Hong Kong SAR and more details on the HK police website Certificate of No Criminal Conviction | Hong Kong Police Force

Originally Posted by Bexleybuttler

So in the e-mail from CIC i they have requested that i get the relevant info back to them within 45 days.....

So i have 2 points / questions...
Firstly HK Police say that they will send the Police Record check directly to whichever agency has requested it...SO HOW WILL I KNOW WHEN IT HAS BEEN COMPLETED??? Does anyone have experience of this???

Secondly the processing time at HK for them to complete the check is 4 weeks. so this straight away puts a strain on the timeline secondly even more annoyingly i have to provide fingerprints, these can only be taken at a police station... I have phoned now 3 different Police Forces (MET CITy & Surrey) and the earliest possibly date to get my fingerprints taken and pay them the £79.20 is the 26th MAY.......... Even more strain on the 45 day timeline that CIC gave us...

As to your other question, I would email proof that you have applied for the police certificate (perhaps scan a copy of all the documents?) with the receipt for fees - I'm sure CIC are aware of the time that obtaining HK police certs take. Showing proof that you have undertaken their request will likely give you some breathing room should HK Police take longer. (when give a deadline, it's usually the time to comply by).

Don't forget to take the letter requesting a police certificate and other documents required with you when you go for your fingerprinting, you may not need them but it's best to err on the side of caution!

Originally Posted by Bexleybuttler
Is it worth me e-mail back to CIC explaining the situation and asking them to base their decision on the info that they have all ready had??????? They said that if they do not get the requested info within 45 days they will make their decision based on info the have to date... Obviously i have no criminal record in England or Hong Kong i was only their for a year just want to press the application forward as quick as possible...
..
If you ask them to base their decision on the information they already have, you will likely get a refusal of your application. It's a requirement (unless there are circumstances where it isn't possible - such as somewhere where all the records have been destroyed due to war or similar) to obtain police clearances and you need to supply a letter from the police force showing it's not possible.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...qnum=035&top=4

that it all goes smoothly.


Last edited by Siouxie; May 9th 2016 at 4:20 am.
Siouxie is offline  
Old May 9th 2016, 6:52 am
  #5  
Concierge
 
SchnookoLoly's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Oakville, ON, CA
Posts: 8,320
SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hong Kong Police request From London Office

Siouxie's response covers everything. You obviously misread 6 months vs 6 years somewhere... and as Siouxie said, chances are that CIC knows that there are sometimes delays with police checks from certain countries. If you respond to the email and show that you have done what you can to get it you'll be fine.

Be aware that this is going to delay your application awhile, they can't make a decisionn AT LEAST until your HK police certificate is in hand... I wouldn't hold on too tightly to the average... at least yo've heard something, though, so you know they've looked and that things are moving!

I updated your line on the spreadsheet using today's date.
SchnookoLoly is offline  
Old May 9th 2016, 7:25 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: london
Posts: 62
Bexleybuttler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hong Kong Police request From London Office

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Siouxie's response covers everything. You obviously misread 6 months vs 6 years somewhere... and as Siouxie said, chances are that CIC knows that there are sometimes delays with police checks from certain countries. If you respond to the email and show that you have done what you can to get it you'll be fine.

Be aware that this is going to delay your application awhile, they can't make a decisionn AT LEAST until your HK police certificate is in hand... I wouldn't hold on too tightly to the average... at least yo've heard something, though, so you know they've looked and that things are moving!

I updated your line on the spreadsheet using today's date.


Yeah the only annoying thing is that i would have got the Police check completed upfront as i did with the UK one however Hong Kong will not allow you to do this and will only complete these forms once you have submitted and a request from the CIC has been made

Qoute from the website...
'Do I need to provide a Police Certificate with my Application for Permanent Residence? No. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will send you a letter requesting a police certificate after you send your Application for Permanent Residence. You must bring that letter when you apply for a Police Certificate.

Name of document(s) to get: Certificate of No Criminal Conviction (CNCC)'

I hope it does not affect the processing time to much.... Would it be reasonable to summise the would have looked at my whole application decided i need this form from HK and basically passed the rest of it no???? So as soon as i can get it back to them then i guess i will just have to wait another 6 ****ing months for London to even look at my app again!!!!! GGRRRR
Bexleybuttler is offline  
Old May 9th 2016, 11:47 am
  #7  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hong Kong Police request From London Office

Originally Posted by Bexleybuttler
Yeah the only annoying thing is that i would have got the Police check completed upfront as i did with the UK one however Hong Kong will not allow you to do this and will only complete these forms once you have submitted and a request from the CIC has been made

Qoute from the website...
'Do I need to provide a Police Certificate with my Application for Permanent Residence? No. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will send you a letter requesting a police certificate after you send your Application for Permanent Residence. You must bring that letter when you apply for a Police Certificate.

Name of document(s) to get: Certificate of No Criminal Conviction (CNCC)'

I hope it does not affect the processing time to much.... Would it be reasonable to summise the would have looked at my whole application decided i need this form from HK and basically passed the rest of it no???? So as soon as i can get it back to them then i guess i will just have to wait another 6 ****ing months for London to even look at my app again!!!!! GGRRRR
They may well have started/almost completed the background checks already, but you can't bank on it. There will be a review date on your file (most likely at the 45 days point that they gave notice of) which is when they will look at it again - whether they will then complete it straight away is an unknown fact unfortunately.

If I were you, I would assume that the absolute minimum it's going to be is 2 months. I would suggest that once you are pretty sure that they will have received the HK Police Cert, send a case specific enquiry asking very politely if there is anything else they need to complete the processing of your file (and keep your fingers crossed). Hopefully that will bring it to their attention and perhaps get things moving, if they haven't already finished processing.

Best of luck.

Siouxie is offline  
Old May 9th 2016, 5:32 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: london
Posts: 62
Bexleybuttler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hong Kong Police request From London Office

Hey Siouxio

Thanks that's se good advice I will wait the 45 days then do the request and hopefully HK have done their bit and all will be good.

Kind regards
Bexleybuttler is offline  
Old May 9th 2016, 7:03 pm
  #9  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hong Kong Police request From London Office

Originally Posted by Bexleybuttler
Hey Siouxio

Thanks that's se good advice I will wait the 45 days then do the request and hopefully HK have done their bit and all will be good.

Kind regards
You are very welcome

I'll keep my for you!

Siouxie is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.