British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Home support worker pilot (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/home-support-worker-pilot-942291/)

Sharda95 Jan 10th 2022 8:23 pm

Home support worker pilot

Hi all,

I’m looking at moving to Canada using the home support worker pilot and just wondering a couple of things.

Am I right in thinking the general process would be going to Canada on the temporary work visa, finding a job either before I go or when I arrive and when I’ve worked 24 months in care I can apply for permanent residency? I have 8 years experience in Care work.

I also have a conviction on my record so need to apply for the rehabilitation. Would I do this before applying for any visa’s or at the same time?

thanks in advance!

christmasoompa Jan 10th 2022 8:38 pm

Re: Home support worker pilot

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by Sharda95 (Post 13087347)
Am I right in thinking the general process would be going to Canada on the temporary work visa, finding a job either before I go or when I arrive and when I’ve worked 24 months in care I can apply for permanent residency? I have 8 years experience in Care work.

Not quite. If you aren't already working in Canada, then you would apply for PR and a work permit at the same time. You'd get an occupation specific work permit. Or you could go on a 'normal' work permit (which usually requires a job offer first) and then you'd apply for PR after 2 years of working there.

Two things to note with this program, one is that there is a cap of 2750 application each year which is rather low, so bear that in mind. The other is that the pilot is due to end in 2024, so if you plan to try and move and get the 2 years work experience before applying for PR, you'll need to get a wiggle on. There's a chance it will be extended, but no guarantee.

And you'd need criminal rehab before applying for a visa usually.

HTH, best of luck.

Sharda95 Jan 10th 2022 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13087350)
Hi, and welcome to BE.

Not quite. If you aren't already working in Canada, then you would apply for PR and a work permit at the same time. You'd get an occupation specific work permit. Or you could go on a 'normal' work permit (which usually requires a job offer first) and then you'd apply for PR after 2 years of working there.

Two things to note with this program, one is that there is a cap of 2750 application each year which is rather low, so bear that in mind. The other is that the pilot is due to end in 2024, so if you plan to try and move and get the 2 years work experience before applying for PR, you'll need to get a wiggle on. There's a chance it will be extended, but no guarantee.

And you'd need criminal rehab before applying for a visa usually.

HTH, best of luck.

thanks so much for the info!
if I was to move over and have started the work experience prior to 2024 but not completed do I still get 36 months? Or the work experience has to be completed by 2024?

christmasoompa Jan 11th 2022 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Sharda95 (Post 13087353)
thanks so much for the info!
if I was to move over and have started the work experience prior to 2024 but not completed do I still get 36 months? Or the work experience has to be completed by 2024?

If the program isn't extended, you'd need to have completed the 24 months work experience and applied for PR before it ends.

HTH.