Holiday Visa

Old Jan 27th 2013, 2:44 pm
Happy in Alberta

sms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud of
Default Holiday Visa

Hi

We have decided to enter Canada on a holiday visa while we are waiting for our LMO, however how do we persuade customs officers to grant us the full 6 month allowance? (which we would prefer to have in case anything negative happens re: LMO) We will be traveling with our 8 year old who obviously cant start school until we obtain our work permit but I am prepared to allow a few weeks off school while we wait for that. Will officers ask about this i.e. schooling etc?

We will have proof of funds to satisfy them that we can support ourselves financially and will be living with family so hopefully this wont be seen as an issue.

I am just concerned that the will question the schooling aspect.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday Visa

Do you mean a 6 month visitor visa or a 12 months working holiday visa = IEC ?
I thought your LMO was refused, did the employer readvertise and reapply? It is a risk though to come out here with a child not knowing if the LMO will be granted 2nd time round. If your partner is under 30 then maybe the IEC would be a good alternative whilst waiting and if the LMO gets refused at least he could work.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:48 pm
Happy in Alberta

sms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud of

The LMO was refused on wrong grounds so it is being appealed and we should hear this week, if the appeal in rejected then the LMO will be resubmitted and no other grounds were questioned other than those we are appealing so it should be succesful, that is why we want to go sooner and also so we can spend time with family.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

I see. So if the appeal is rejected then the employer will have to readvertise etc. that might take some time. Generally you can come to Canada as a tourist. If you hold a UK passport you won't need a visa. The CBSA officer will stamp the passport and it'll say when you'll have to leave again. You can extend your stay if necessary. I think you'd have to apply 30 days before you'd have to leave. Although if you tell the CBSA officer that your belongings are on a boat heading towards Canada and you are awaiting the LMO that got refused first time round then he/she might not be a happy bunny.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:23 pm
Happy in Alberta

Yeah, we are hoping to be allowed the maximum stay which I believe is 6 months? We won't be offering up the info about the LMO but will say we are job hunting! Hopefully this will be ok!
Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not sure when you come on a one way flight. Maybe best to ask one of the CBSA officers on this forum. Maybe start a new thread (job hunting whilst visiting family and waiting for LMO-problem with CBSA?). I know we had people who came to visit us and they wanted UK/German employer with phone number, address, home address etc., then went away for a few minutes and then let them in.

Last edited by ninaDGBCA; Jan 28th 2013 at 3:39 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sms1984
Yeah, we are hoping to be allowed the maximum stay which I believe is 6 months? We won't be offering up the info about the LMO but will say we are job hunting! Hopefully this will be ok!
This may cause a problem as it indicates to me that it is your intention to WORK and not visit as an LMO has been applied for and refused and will then be reapplied for.
Not exactly what I would call a job hunting trip and especially with no return ticket. Your choice obviously though I possibly see a potential allowed to leave in your future. Tell the truth and you will be ok.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:51 am
Happy in Alberta

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
This may cause a problem as it indicates to me that it is your intention to WORK and not visit as an LMO has been applied for and refused and will then be reapplied for.
Not exactly what I would call a job hunting trip and especially with no return ticket. Your choice obviously though I possibly see a potential allowed to leave in your future. Tell the truth and you will be ok.
Our intention long term is to live permanently in Canada. Our first LMO was refused purely because it was submitted late last year but wasn't processed until very early this year so they questioned the crossover with the job being advertised, no one else had even applied for the job and no other reason was given for the refusal. The employer has now re-advertised the job and will re-submit the LMO paperwork in accordance with the advert timescales.

We still have a month's notice to work in the UK and then a couple of weeks after that to pack up the house and say goodbye so we would only be flying out roughly 4 weeks before the LMO decision and if again it is negative then we have had a nice holiday with family and will come home and if fingers crossed it is positive then we flagpole.

Also, we will be buying a return ticket to satisfy them that we will leave

Last edited by sms1984; Jan 29th 2013 at 10:54 am.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sms1984
Our intention long term is to live permanently in Canada. Our first LMO was refused purely because it was submitted late last year but wasn't processed until very early this year so they questioned the crossover with the job being advertised, no one else had even applied for the job and no other reason was given for the refusal. The employer has now re-advertised the job and will re-submit the LMO paperwork in accordance with the advert timescales.

We still have a month's notice to work in the UK and then a couple of weeks after that to pack up the house and say goodbye so we would only be flying out roughly 4 weeks before the LMO decision and if again it is negative then we have had a nice holiday with family and will come home and if fingers crossed it is positive then we flagpole.

Also, we will be buying a return ticket to satisfy them that we will leave
Why don't you just tell them exactly that? Sounds plausible to me especially with a return ticket. regarding the LMO
Old Jan 29th 2013, 1:16 pm
Happy in Alberta

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
Why don't you just tell them exactly that? Sounds plausible to me especially with a return ticket. regarding the LMO
Well honesty is the best policy. It's tricky to know what's best