Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

High School ICT/Business/Media teacher wanting to move to Vancouver

High School ICT/Business/Media teacher wanting to move to Vancouver

Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:29 am
Just Joined

GSQuinn is an unknown quantity at this point
Question High School ICT/Business/Media teacher wanting to move to Vancouver

Hi
I'm a single, home owning male wanting to relocate permanently to Vancouver (only equity of house as savings but free to move around alone!). I know that the economy has lead to a lack of teaching jobs generally in Canada in the past few years but was wondering whether or not the situation has changed?
I understand I'd most probably have to re-qualify to BC teaching / education teaching schemes. Does anyone have a recent experience of this?
I teach high school ICT, Media and Business Studies so quite flexible in terms of accepting work in industry or education on arrival.

Thanks in advance for any useful info.

Gary
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:32 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High School ICT/Business/Media teacher wanting to move to Vancouver

Have a plan 'b' Getting a teaching job is not easy even for Canadian's, without PR it is nigh on impossible.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GSQuinn
I know that the economy has lead to a lack of teaching jobs generally in Canada in the past few years but was wondering whether or not the situation has changed?
I don't think it's anything to do with economy tbh, even before the global recession the situation was tough for teachers in Canada. Have a read of this Wiki article (which you might be interested to know was done in 2007) - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Teaching_in_Canada

First thing to sort would be what visa you'd move over on, bearing in mind that teaching wouldn't get you over there. Do you have a route in mind? Once you've got PR then you could wait for a teaching job, as per the Wiki article.

Good luck.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:36 am
Just Joined

GSQuinn is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys. I did the online test thing and would qualify because of having post-grad and number of years worked. Obviously wouldn't be working as a teacher though by the sound of it so would need another career option for income! Back to the drawing board for now because I'm not a millionnaire who could afford not to work!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GSQuinn
Thanks guys. I did the online test thing and would qualify because of having post-grad and number of years worked. Obviously wouldn't be working as a teacher though by the sound of it so would need another career option for income! Back to the drawing board for now because I'm not a millionnaire who could afford not to work!
Online test thing for which visa route? If it was a point related test, then I'm guessing you're referring to the Skilled Worker program?

If so, then you'll need to wait and see what the new program criteria is. As I'm sure you are aware, teachers have never been on the list of eligible occupations in demand so previously points wouldn't have been enough for you to be eligible, but keep an eye on the program changes before it opens in May.

Good luck.