Wikiposts

high-demand trades in Canada

Old Jun 14th 2002, 12:21 pm
Apollo

Default high-demand trades in Canada

Can anyone point out online resources that identify what trades are in high demand
(or, in short supply)?

If Canada needs these so badly, then prospective immigrants should consider gaining
experience (and maybe a local license) in a trade that is reasonably related to their
area of expertise, as a backup in case they are unable to immediately find work in
their current field. Examples may be civil engineerlumber or electrician, computer
systems analyst:computer repairman, etc.

Old Jun 14th 2002, 3:20 pm
cml

Default Re: high-demand trades in Canada

On 14 Jun 2002 16:49:00 -0700, Apollo <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Can anyone point out online resources that identify what trades are in high demand
    >(or, in short supply)?
    >
    >If Canada needs these so badly, then prospective immigrants should consider gaining
    >experience (and maybe a local license) in a trade that is reasonably related to
    >their area of expertise, as a backup in case they are unable to immediately find
    >work in their current field. Examples may be civil engineerlumber or electrician,
    >computer systems analyst:computer repairman, etc.

This is not practical. The reason is most trades require a long term dedication in
order to be certified and licensed. You are talking a period no less than the wait
time for citizenship. There are very few exemptions from holding a provincewide
recognised licence. However, check carefully I think some of the regulations may have
been relaxed a bit in recent years but it's very dependent on which province you are
dealing with.

Old Jun 14th 2002, 3:20 pm
Crush426004543

Hair Dresser/Parlor is one of the quickest one and it is also in demand.

Old Jun 15th 2002, 3:20 am
Apollo

>However, check carefully I think some of the regulations may have been relaxed a bit
    >in recent years but it's very dependent on which province you are dealing with.

Thanks. Where can I find out more about this?

Mahabhenki

Other Trades in demand are "Dish Washer, working at Gas stations - Graveyard Shift ,
Delievering Pizzas , Construction worker, Marketing stuff on the road , working at
dept store and stuff.

Don't expect an educated , decent job in canada. It is not a place for "Equal
oppurtunity Employer"

Hope you get the message

cml

On 15 Jun 2002 07:27:37 -0700, Apollo <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>However, check carefully I think some of the regulations may have been relaxed a
    >>bit in recent years but it's very dependent on which province you are dealing with.
    >
    >Thanks. Where can I find out more about this?

I came across many links for legislations in ontario and quebec but I did not mark
them down for reference. Start with human resources canada or use google.com to start
your search.

cml

On 15 Jun 2002 07:27:37 -0700, Apollo <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>However, check carefully I think some of the regulations may have been relaxed a
    >>bit in recent years but it's very dependent on which province you are dealing with.
    >
    >Thanks. Where can I find out more about this?

All the legislation pages I have been to have keyword search so you can do one on
your intended trade.

Old Jun 15th 2002, 5:20 am
New Immigrant

Try general labour - that's the only job waiting for new immigrants.

[email protected] (Apollo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Can anyone point out online resources that identify what trades are in high demand
    > (or, in short supply)?
    >
    > If Canada needs these so badly, then prospective immigrants should consider gaining
    > experience (and maybe a local license) in a trade that is reasonably related to
    > their area of expertise, as a backup in case they are unable to immediately find
    > work in their current field. Examples may be civil engineerlumber or electrician,
    > computer systems analyst:computer repairman, etc.

Old Jun 16th 2002, 12:21 pm
Mss

> Don't expect an educated , decent job in canada. It is not a place for "Equal
    > oppurtunity Employer" Hope you get the message

Are you SERIOUS? What if you're decently educated (Bachelor's degree)?

Thank you for shedding some light into this. MSS

Old Jun 16th 2002, 9:25 pm
Anonymous

On 15 Jun 2002 07:59:04 -0700, [email protected] (Mahabhenki) wrote:

>Other Trades in demand are "Dish Washer, working at Gas stations - Graveyard Shift ,
    >Delievering Pizzas , Construction worker, Marketing stuff on the road , working at
    >dept store and stuff.
    >
    >Don't expect an educated , decent job in canada. It is not a place for "Equal
    >oppurtunity Employer"
    >
    >
    >Hope you get the message

You forgot Taxi driver

Old Jun 16th 2002, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

levu is an unknown quantity at this point

Give me a break you bunch of winers!

You'd have to be a total moron if you thought you'd get to Canada and someone would just hand you some super job.

Immigrants have always had and will always have a hard time in every country, canada included. Its just a process you have to go though, it weeds out the weak from the strong.

If you came to Canada thinking it was a gravy train to millionaire-dom then you were mistaken. But it isn't Canada's fault if you were naive.

For all those thousands of poor immigrants who are working graveyard shifts and driving taxi's complaining all the time; if your life is so bad then why don't you just go home and make room for other people. The last thing Canada needs is a bunch of people with a chip on their shoulder. Get over it.
Old Jun 17th 2002, 6:18 am
Crush426004543

Also Telemarketers

Old Jun 17th 2002, 12:20 pm
Apollo

levu <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<3d0de213
    >Hair Dresser/Parlor is one of the quickest one and it is also in
demand.
    >Also Telemarketers

I couldn't imagine myself working at a hair dresser/parlor. I grew up in a homophobic
environment, and I'll never hear the end of it from friends and family back home. Me
big, tough man, and we have specials on perm today. LOL! I could probably convince my
wife to take some courses, though. Hmmm.

However, I would consider becoming a barber. Is this in demand, too?

Or a telemarketer. I hate these cold-calling folks so much, but they just keep
calling. They're probably attracted to the scent of my new Mastercard. Hell, if you
can't beat 'em then join 'em, right?

To Levu: thanks for the inputs.

To New Immigrant and Mahabhenki: you should have taken hair dresser/parlor courses.
Beats dishwashing and driving taxis anytime.

To everyone else: in life, always have a backup plan. Always.

Old Jun 17th 2002, 2:23 pm
Crush426004543

Trust me barber/hair dresser is the best among all professions available to new
immigrants. Either you open your own shop or rent a chair, you will get respect and
don't have to sell anything..... People always look for cheap barbers etc and there
are not many in every city. Most of the barbers i had even couldn't speak english and
they don't understand what type of cut I want. they make mistakes all the time but I
pay less.....

Old Jun 18th 2002, 9:20 am
James Fowler

Most immigrants who gain entry to Canada independently (ie rather than sponsored or
through marriage etc.) will give many birth Canadians a 'run for their money' in
terms of educations, skills, experience etc. The whole points system is there to
benefit Canada -- and Canadians -- by selecting the 'cream' from the 'milk'.

"levu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Give me a break you bunch of winers!
    >
    > You'd have to be a total moron if you thought you'd get to Canada and someone would
    > just hand you some super job.
    >
    > Immigrants have always had and will always have a hard time in every country,
    > canada included. Its just a process you have to go though, it weeds out the weak
    > from the strong.
    >
    > If you came to Canada thinking it was a gravy train to millionaire-dom then you
    > were mistaken. But it isn't Canada's fault if you were naive.
    >
    > For all those thousands of poor immigrants who are working graveyard shifts and
    > driving taxi's complaining all the time; if your life is so bad then why don't you
    > just go home and make room for other people. The last thing Canada needs is a bunch
    > of people with a chip on their shoulder. Get over it.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.