Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Hi! Need some advice gtting started please

Hi! Need some advice gtting started please

Old May 31st 2011, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

pocahontas82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi! Need some advice gtting started please

Hi there,

Have been looking at the Candadian High Commision site but am still confused as to what is my best way to apply, I'm not sure whether to apply for a PR immediately or apply for work?

We are currently in the Uk, looking to move to Toronto area, I am educated in the paralegal field (English) and my other half is in Corporate/buisiness travel, years of experience in the field so securing jobs shouldn't be too tough, but I'm not sure whether we secure jobs 1st or apply for residency or what to do to be honest. We have two children, 4 & 5. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 31st 2011, 3:32 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi! Need some advice gtting started please

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...an_Immigration
Old May 31st 2011, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Thank you
Old May 31st 2011, 4:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

From what you've said, it doesn't sound as though you'd qualify for Permanent Residency at the moment (unless you happen to have a few million dollars or a close Canadian relative that you haven't mentioned?), so you'd need a job offer to get a visa.

Hopefully the Wiki will answer most of your questions, but please do shout if you have any more and somebody will try and help.

Good luck.
Old May 31st 2011, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

yeah I thought so. I was under the impression from some of the forums that people in UK had applied istraight for residency however it is a very long process.

So we apply for work permits first and then try to secure jobs from here? That seems to be our best option looking at the wiki page. I took the eligibility test and it gives me enough points to apply as skilled worker/professional.
Old May 31st 2011, 4:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pocahontas82
yeah I thought so. I was under the impression from some of the forums that people in UK had applied istraight for residency however it is a very long process.
Many people can apply for residency without a job offer, but they will have either a Canadian relative to sponsor them, or be on the list of eligible occupations for a Skilled Worker visa, or have enough money for an investor visa, or have self-employed experience in a relevant occupation etc, etc. There are many ways to PR, but not everybody is eligible without a job offer - do check that you don't qualify for any other route though.

And it no longer takes that long (around a year or so), it used to take years but that's outdated information.

So we apply for work permits first and then try to secure jobs from here?
No, you've misunderstood I'm afraid. For a Temporary Work Permit, you need a job offer first, and also a Labour Market Opinion (something your employer has to apply for, to prove they have advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job). Only once you have a written job offer and LMO, can you apply for a Temp Work Permit.

I took the eligibility test and it gives me enough points to apply as skilled worker/professional.
Points aren't enough though, you also need at least one year's experience in an occupation on the 29 'eligible occupations' list to qualify as a Skilled Worker - neither paralegal or travel related roles are on the list. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/THE_LIST-Canada

So forget the Skilled Worker visa for now, as it doesn't appear to apply to you at the moment, unless you have experience in another job on the list? It can be anything you've done in the past 10 years.

HTH a bit.

Old May 31st 2011, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Ok great, that's really helpful, thanks . It's so confusing when you first start looking at it, so much to take in! Thanks though, you've been a great help