Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Hi everyone, need advice - PMM or Mr. Humphries?

Hi everyone, need advice - PMM or Mr. Humphries?

Old Dec 31st 2004, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Kara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi everyone, need advice - Mr.Miller,PMM, Mr. Humphries?

Hi everyone - I'm a newbie here,so first off HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! This New Year's has unfortunately been shadowed by the Tsunami catastrophe - I pray for all the victims and helpers, and all those that have lost friends, colleagues or relatives... Unfortunately I can't do much more... But I also wish everyone all the best for the coming year and beyond!!

I'm posting here looking for advice, because sometimes, due to information overload, you miss the big picture due to the myriad of little things..:-)

I'm a Canadian Citizen returning to Canada in March, after living in Germany for the last 8 years. I'd like, of course, to take my common-law hubby with me, and our 4-year old. He isn't a German citizen, he has dual Greek and Italian citizenship. He was born in Germany though, but due to (recently changed) German laws, wasn't automatically granted citizenship. He grew up here, and has never lived in the countries of his citizenships, except for Greece (moved there after birth and returned at age 5). So, what I'd like to know is, does he need police certificates from both these countries too, or is the German one sufficient?

Our daughter is a Canadian Citizen, because I was at the time of her birth, so I don't need to sponsor her, but once in Canada just apply for her citizenship card/papers, right?

Can I take my hubby with me as a visitor in March, get married (less stress as getting married in Germany) and apply from within Canada, or is it better to apply from outside Canada? Apply to Berlin? Or Canadian embassies in Greece or Italy? Can he immigrate 'using' only one citizenship, or does he need everything from each country separately?

I'll be traveling on my German passport, but with my citizenship papers/card, will that cause any issues at POE when I say that I'm returning and would like to sponsor him?

I know this is a British corner, but the advice and support in here is great, so I thought I'd risk it...:-)))

TIA
Kara

Last edited by Kara; Dec 31st 2004 at 9:49 am.
Old Dec 31st 2004, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Hi everyone, need advice - PMM or Mr. Humphries?

uhm, hello? Can someone, anyone, please answer? Doesn't anybody know?
Old Jan 1st 2005, 4:30 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi everyone, need advice - Mr.Miller,PMM, Mr. Humphries?

Get Canadian passport for yourself, proof of Canadian citizenship and passport for your daughter to avoid any problems when returning to Canada.

Start the sponsorship process now from abroad - you will save time this way.

As for your hubby - only German police certificate.

Originally Posted by Kara
Hi everyone - I'm a newbie here,so first off HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! This New Year's has unfortunately been shadowed by the Tsunami catastrophe - I pray for all the victims and helpers, and all those that have lost friends, colleagues or relatives... Unfortunately I can't do much more... But I also wish everyone all the best for the coming year and beyond!!

I'm posting here looking for advice, because sometimes, due to information overload, you miss the big picture due to the myriad of little things..:-)

I'm a Canadian Citizen returning to Canada in March, after living in Germany for the last 8 years. I'd like, of course, to take my common-law hubby with me, and our 4-year old. He isn't a German citizen, he has dual Greek and Italian citizenship. He was born in Germany though, but due to (recently changed) German laws, wasn't automatically granted citizenship. He grew up here, and has never lived in the countries of his citizenships, except for Greece (moved there after birth and returned at age 5). So, what I'd like to know is, does he need police certificates from both these countries too, or is the German one sufficient?

Our daughter is a Canadian Citizen, because I was at the time of her birth, so I don't need to sponsor her, but once in Canada just apply for her citizenship card/papers, right?

Can I take my hubby with me as a visitor in March, get married (less stress as getting married in Germany) and apply from within Canada, or is it better to apply from outside Canada? Apply to Berlin? Or Canadian embassies in Greece or Italy? Can he immigrate 'using' only one citizenship, or does he need everything from each country separately?

I'll be traveling on my German passport, but with my citizenship papers/card, will that cause any issues at POE when I say that I'm returning and would like to sponsor him?

I know this is a British corner, but the advice and support in here is great, so I thought I'd risk it...:-)))

TIA
Kara
Old Jan 1st 2005, 6:28 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Hi everyone, need advice - PMM or Mr. Humphries?

Thank you.