Hi All - My Plans & Advice

Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Cut_Chemist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi All - My Plans & Advice

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. Hopefully I've posted this in the right section but please don't bite my head off if I haven't!! (I've posted this in the Meet & Greet section as well but I've been advised to post in here )

I'm 20 years old, living in Cambridge, UK. I recently went over to Toronto for a holiday with a mate and absolutely loved it. So much so infact that I've been thinking about going over to Canada for a year, from next year sometime. Having spoken to the High Commission, it seems like a LOT of hassle trying to get Work Permits and Visa's and such like sorted. What with needing a written job offer in order to obtain a work permit, it just seems really difficult. I browsed the Internet to see if there were any companies that can help you with this sort of thing, and after finding a few suspicious looking web pages, I stumbled across BUNAC. Now, a old colleague of mine has used BUNAC before, and has found them very helpful. Naturally, I was a little sceptical, because obviously there are companies out there that are just after your money, but BUNAC does look good, and from what I've read on the Internet, people seem to only have good things to say about them. I got in contact with them and they sent me some brochures, as well as an application form for 2008's placements, but due to cash flow situations, it's gonna have to be next year!

Does anyone have any experiences with BUNAC they could share? Apologies if this gets asked too often. Are they helpful? What are the chances (if I apply on the first date of applications opening) that I will obtain a Visa and Work Permit? I'm not a student so will be applying for the non-student program. I've not got a criminal record (that I know of ), and I'm fit and healthy, so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, my plans. I'm trying to not make too many plans, because if I don't have a plan, nothing can not go to plan! I aim to take around £2500 with me, which will keep me going for a bit should I not find a job quickly. This'll also allow me to take a bit of time off and enjoy the places I go without having to work. I aim to go back to Toronto, working out there and exploring the city in greater detail, and whilst I'm over on the East side, visit Montreal, Quebec City, Ottawa, and possibly go down into New York on a temporary Visa. I'll say it's likely to be 6 months in Toronto, but if I don't enjoy it for whatever reason, there's nothing stopping me going elsewhere.

Once these 6 months are up, I'd like to get The Canadien across to Vancouver, and spend another 6 months there, again, working whilst having fun. Whilst I'm on that side, I'd like to visit Banff, Jasper, Whistler, possibly into some of the Southern parts of Alaska, and maybe down to San Francisco and Seattle. Obviously, this all depends on if I can afford it all, and if the person I am going with can afford it as well.

Sorry this is a bit of an essay, as you may be able to tell I've really got my heart set on going!

Any advice or tips you may have would be really really appreciated. Thankyou!
Old Sep 9th 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi All - My Plans & Advice

Definitely get the BUNAC visa and give it a shot! They are not some rip-off company, they are a club and help organise the visa for you and give advice and support. I had the Student version of the visa in 2003-4 (it's the same) and would say go for it! Just make sure you get your application in as early as possible for the 2009 programme (late November/early December I think) otherwise you might miss the boat as the non-student visas go REALLY quickly! There's no reason why you shouldn't get a visa as long as you meet all the eligibility requirements and get in early enough! The application process is straightforward as BUNAC guide you through what you need to do and when - starting with an online application this autumn!

The visa you get is an open work authorisation so you can work in almost any job anywhere in Canada (giving you the flexibility to see all the places you mentioned!). Good idea to take as much money as you can to give you some cash for travelling (sounds like you have lots planned!) and also in case you have employment gaps without income.

If you have any more specific questions I'm happy to tell you my experiences - after your third post you can send and receive private messages so just drop me a line. I'm moving to Vancouver in January as a Permanent Resident so maybe see you there!

Best wishes and go for it!

Adele

Last edited by adele; Sep 9th 2008 at 12:33 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

That's brilliant, thanks for the tips Adele. Yeah I've been keeping my eyes peeled on the BUNAC website pretty much every day for any new information haha! So I will apply as soon as the applications are open. I just can't wait to get my Visa sorted, that's when it'll start getting exciting. After that I guess i'll just look at pictures of Canada and get in the mood!

Thanks again
Old Sep 9th 2008, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Cut_Chemist
That's brilliant, thanks for the tips Adele. Yeah I've been keeping my eyes peeled on the BUNAC website pretty much every day for any new information haha! So I will apply as soon as the applications are open. I just can't wait to get my Visa sorted, that's when it'll start getting exciting. After that I guess i'll just look at pictures of Canada and get in the mood!

Thanks again
cut chemist, get the bunac visa as is the best way. i am doing it next yr and know more about it as its very very straigh forward.

Remember to get your police report in asap.

apply for your police report around Novemberand make sure you read or are hooked on BUNAC website from the 1st week of december to get a place on the program. is anything from 8 weeks to 12 months so u good to use it for 12 months and is an open work permit so u can work any job.

good luck and just go for it, you have 3 months to prepare and u could be in Canada probably in Feb 09..
Old Sep 9th 2008, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bflava
cut chemist, get the bunac visa as is the best way. i am doing it next yr and know more about it as its very very straigh forward.

Remember to get your police report in asap.

apply for your police report around Novemberand make sure you read or are hooked on BUNAC website from the 1st week of december to get a place on the program. is anything from 8 weeks to 12 months so u good to use it for 12 months and is an open work permit so u can work any job.

good luck and just go for it, you have 3 months to prepare and u could be in Canada probably in Feb 09..
Thanks mate. By police report, is that a CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) check? I've had one done due to my current line of work, but will I need another one? Presumably I will need to because there will be a year gap between the last date of my CRB and when BUNAC will want one.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Cut_Chemist
Thanks mate. By police report, is that a CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) check? I've had one done due to my current line of work, but will I need another one? Presumably I will need to because there will be a year gap between the last date of my CRB and when BUNAC will want one.
there is a difference btw CRB and police report, it use to be £10 and it takes about 40 working days to get to you but now i hear you need to get it through ACPO goolge it and there will be a link for you, it cost £35 and it takes about 2 weeks. dont have a criminal record and you in?

good luck
Old Sep 9th 2008, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Police check wasn't required when I got my BUNAC visa but it is a requirement now.

This is what BUNAC are advising on their website:

http://www.bunac.org.uk/uk/workcanada/Police.aspx

Last edited by adele; Sep 9th 2008 at 6:15 pm.