Hey guys - PR Application advice

Old Dec 2nd 2019, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

WildfireV2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hey guys - PR Application advice

I've been on here a few years, and got my temporary visa in 2016 thanks to everyones help here.

I came back from Canada in 2018, with a view to saving up money and going for PR , but the UK job market has been worse than I expected and it's been quite a struggle.

Just wondering in the time I've been back, have their been any major changes to make PR more difficult for people to get? I haven't started the application for PR yet because I'm not sure I have enough money to get through each stage (not sure how much it is in total)

I hope to get it sorted in the upcoming year, I lived in Toronto but i think if I managed to get PR I'd want to go somewhere like Calgary with hopefully better prospects as far as being able to save good money compared to Toronto living.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 4:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hey guys - PR Application advice

Originally Posted by WildfireV2
I've been on here a few years, and got my temporary visa in 2016 thanks to everyones help here.

I came back from Canada in 2018, with a view to saving up money and going for PR , but the UK job market has been worse than I expected and it's been quite a struggle.

Just wondering in the time I've been back, have their been any major changes to make PR more difficult for people to get? I haven't started the application for PR yet because I'm not sure I have enough money to get through each stage (not sure how much it is in total)

I hope to get it sorted in the upcoming year, I lived in Toronto but i think if I managed to get PR I'd want to go somewhere like Calgary with hopefully better prospects as far as being able to save good money compared to Toronto living.

Thanks in advance!
Depends on what you count as major changes and which way to PR you're asking about! What visa route were you looking at?

Money wise, again it will depend on the visa route. If you can give us more info we can try and help.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Depends on what you count as major changes and which way to PR you're asking about! What visa route were you looking at?

Money wise, again it will depend on the visa route. If you can give us more info we can try and help.
I honestly don't know. I just assumed because I've already done the IEC visa, that I now have to go down the PR route with the whole getting invited to apply by scoring over 450 points or whatever it is?

I think from memory I was scoring in the 480 - 490 range, but I'd have to go back and check.

Just wondering what's the easiest/best way to get PR nowadays? i'll be applying in the upcoming year once I've got things in order (English tests etc).
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 4:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't know. I just assumed because I've already done the IEC visa, that I now have to go down the PR route with the whole getting invited to apply by scoring over 450 points or whatever it is?
Express Entry. That's the most common way, and the quickest/easiest barring being sponsored by a Canadian spouse. So if you're eligible for that, it's probably your best bet.

I think from memory I was scoring in the 480 - 490 range, but I'd have to go back and check.
Do check, remember you lose point as you get older and other things can change your score as well, so make sure you're still scoring at about that level. The points score has gone up a bit since you first looked in to it, the last few draws were all above 470, so your score should be fine as long as you're still at that level.

Just wondering what's the easiest/best way to get PR nowadays? i'll be applying in the upcoming year once I've got things in order (English tests etc).
As above, it would be EE unless you're married to a Canadian. Cost for that will be approx £3000 for visa fees, IELTS, ECA, police checks, etc etc. Then add on the required proof of funds amount which is about $13k for a single person (more if you have a spouse and/or children) and which you'll need to have in your bank account. Definitely apply as soon as you can, I'd get your IELTS booked and your ECA ordered if you're eligible now, you never know when things will change!

HTH.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Express Entry. That's the most common way, and the quickest/easiest barring being sponsored by a Canadian spouse. So if you're eligible for that, it's probably your best bet.

Do check, remember you lose point as you get older and other things can change your score as well, so make sure you're still scoring at about that level. The points score has gone up a bit since you first looked in to it, the last few draws were all above 470, so your score should be fine as long as you're still at that level.

As above, it would be EE unless you're married to a Canadian. Cost for that will be approx £3000 for visa fees, IELTS, ECA, police checks, etc etc. Then add on the required proof of funds amount which is about $13k for a single person (more if you have a spouse and/or children) and which you'll need to have in your bank account. Definitely apply as soon as you can, I'd get your IELTS booked and your ECA ordered if you're eligible now, you never know when things will change!

HTH.
Wow thats more expensive than I expected for the process... I can do those tests and get them ordered now and not worry about having to commit to doing the whole PR process right now correct?

What I mean is if I get things rolling, do I trap myself into continuing the process and paying out £3,000 when im not ready?
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 4:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Wow thats more expensive than I expected for the process... I can do those tests and get them ordered now and not worry about having to commit to doing the whole PR process right now correct?

What I mean is if I get things rolling, do I trap myself into continuing the process and paying out £3,000 when im not ready?
You can do the tests, but tbh I'm not sure why you'd spend £400 or so on them without being sure you want to apply for PR. But yes, you can get them and then not apply for PR if you wish, it's totally up to you. You only have to pay the fees and other costs i.e. police certificates, medical etc, when you actually apply for PR.

First thing to do though is check your CRS score, and make sure you're still scoring the 480-490 you seem to recall.
Old Dec 4th 2019, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

you say you did IEC, do you have skilled work experience in Canada? If so you may qualify under CEC program which would mean exception from proof of funds requirements.
Old Dec 4th 2019, 2:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...oof-funds.html