Wikiposts

Helping My Father Work in Alberta

Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Jonesonaboat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Helping My Father Work in Alberta

Hi,

I'm British currently living with my partner in Edmonton, Alberta. We were living on Vancouver Island, where he is from, but we have moved here as my partner is working up in the oil sands.

So, as my partner has jumped through all the hoops as a welder to gain all the requirements to work in Alberta, we're familiar what is needed. My father is also a welder and after seeing a TV program on the oil sands industry has shown interest in working here, probably pushed along by the fact work in the UK has been very slow for him lately.

So anyway, we're aware he will need to take all the same tests as what my partner did, the red seal and probably the B-pressure welding ticket. What I can't get my head around though, is what is the best way for him to come here?

I understand the skilled worker program, but I've read that it is for people under the age of 50, and my father is 53. So I don't think he can take that route.

Then there's the work visa, which as far as I understand, you need a job offer to get that? And I know that no company can hire him without the red seal and all that.

So, would I be right in thinking he can come here as a visitor and take his red seal exams, and then return to Britain and apply for a job there, then come out on a work visa?

I've been researching this for the last couple of hours, and I've read about a number of people being given a 3 month work permit for Canada which going out to do their red seal exam, although 3 months would not be long enough, I'm sure he would want to spend a couple of years out here before retiring.

Anyway, can anyone give me any advice on this?
Huge thanks
xxx
Old Jun 8th 2011, 9:44 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Helping My Father Work in Alberta

Originally Posted by Jonesonaboat
Hi,

I'm British currently living with my partner in Edmonton, Alberta. We were living on Vancouver Island, where he is from, but we have moved here as my partner is working up in the oil sands.

So, as my partner has jumped through all the hoops as a welder to gain all the requirements to work in Alberta, we're familiar what is needed. My father is also a welder and after seeing a TV program on the oil sands industry has shown interest in working here, probably pushed along by the fact work in the UK has been very slow for him lately.

So anyway, we're aware he will need to take all the same tests as what my partner did, the red seal and probably the B-pressure welding ticket. What I can't get my head around though, is what is the best way for him to come here?

I understand the skilled worker program, but I've read that it is for people under the age of 50, and my father is 53. So I don't think he can take that route.

Then there's the work visa, which as far as I understand, you need a job offer to get that? And I know that no company can hire him without the red seal and all that.

So, would I be right in thinking he can come here as a visitor and take his red seal exams, and then return to Britain and apply for a job there, then come out on a work visa?

I've been researching this for the last couple of hours, and I've read about a number of people being given a 3 month work permit for Canada which going out to do their red seal exam, although 3 months would not be long enough, I'm sure he would want to spend a couple of years out here before retiring.

Anyway, can anyone give me any advice on this?
Huge thanks
xxx
He could be eligible under the Skilled Worker Route - he just gets less points for age that he would if he was under 50 - take the online points score on the CIC website and see what it comes back with.

I am sure others will be along with more answers soon.

x
Old Jun 9th 2011, 4:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As the very wise AmyDavid said, there is no age limit for the Skilled Worker program, he'll just get less points for age. So get him to take the points test and see how he scores.

Yep, he'd need a job offer and Labour Market Opinion as well. Info is in the Wiki on both of these.

He certainly could do. Best thing for him to do is read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki to understand how to go about trying to network to find work whilst over there getting his Red Seal.

Never heard of a 3 month work permit? So not sure what visa route that would be under.

He'll need to see if he qualifies as a Skilled Worker, but if he only wants to spend a couple of years in Canada then that may be too much hassle/cost for him anyway (as it results in PR). If not, or if he doesn't want to go permanently, then a TWP is his only option.

HTH.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 6:39 am
Just Joined

Geordie86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey!

Just a heads up - to sit the red seal exam you have to have 'Canadian Issued ID' such as canadian drivers license, passport etc... which is only available if you already have a visa! (Such as PR, working holiday visa etc etc...!)

I only know this as I was hoping to sit my red seal exam before I began my visa...but unfortunately your not able to without the ID!
Old Jun 9th 2011, 6:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie86
Hey!

Just a heads up - to sit the red seal exam you have to have 'Canadian Issued ID' such as canadian drivers license, passport etc... which is only available if you already have a visa! (Such as PR, working holiday visa etc etc...!)

I only know this as I was hoping to sit my red seal exam before I began my visa...but unfortunately your not able to without the ID!
That must be a new thing then, plenty of forum members have managed to take the Red Seal without any kind of visa before?
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:23 am
Banned

Uk Pension Advisor is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of luck!
Old Jun 10th 2011, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Geordie86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That must be a new thing then, plenty of forum members have managed to take the Red Seal without any kind of visa before?
Yeah that's what I had read also! But I did find for challenging in BC at least, you require the government ID! I'm not sure if Alberta training authority may be different, but ITABC is a pain!
Old Jun 10th 2011, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

jerseytocanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried this website.

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...ting/ainp.aspx