Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help with understanding various permit options and eligibility

Help with understanding various permit options and eligibility

Old Sep 30th 2019, 4:39 am
Just Joined

starbucks72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with understanding various permit options and eligibility

Hi, being a newcomer I have spent time reading posts and stickies etc and found some really useful information, thank you.
I would really like some help and advice on the different permit options and even if we are eligible.
I cannot seem to find a points calculator online.
So myself and partner, both 44 are intending on moving to Canada (poss Vancouver).
We are both British Citizens but have lived in South Africa for the past 6.5 years running a successful nursery school.
Anyhow, while I'm in Early Years teaching (Nvq3) my partner is in construction mainly carpentry but dies not have any formal certificates or qualifications just 10+ years of experience and references.
We were looking into if it's possible to move to Canada without a job offer first and just go on our visitor visas and then transfer visa once jobs have been offered or is that not possible?
If I understand correctly, I would need my qualifications assessed but I have the original transcripts with me and they are saying that the transcripts must be sent directly from the college. My NVQ was awarded in 1986 and the assessment no longer exists (knocked down and built into flats) so not sure how I would go about that?
We are just waiting on the sale of the school then we're good to go.
Any help or advice would greatly appreciated.

Old Sep 30th 2019, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with understanding various permit options and eligibility

You're.... going to need a little more than the sale of a school before you're good to go.

At 44, you're going to have serious problems with Canadian immigration, because going through Express Entry, you'd only have 5 points for age (out of a maximum of 100). Which doesn't mean it's impossible, but will make your life harder.

Canada is also quite big on formal qualifications; in order to get any points for education, you'd need to have that checked by a company that does it formally (as you've identified).

What you might find if your partner works in construction is that him applying through the Federal Skilled Trade portion of Express Entry could be an option (as that has generally far lower points requirements), but again, he'll likely have quite a low number. You should calculate what your points would be at the CRS grid at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...stem/grid.html.

You could definitely not just move to Canada as visitors; visitors need to display visitor intent. If you were thinking of trying to get a job offer to support a work permit, you'd need an employer willing to go through the expensive ($1000 fee) and time-consuming process of proving to the government that they cannot hire a Canadian instead of you (advert has to be up for months).
Old Sep 30th 2019, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your advice. I will check out the points calculator as you attached.
Maybe it's just easier to back to the UK, at least no paperwork needed, just our passport.
Whilst I was quite hopeful that there was an avenue to Canada, I starting to think differently. Shame we're not millionaires and could invest.
I have been on holiday to Canada on several occasions and loved it. Well done to all you Expats who made it there!
Old Sep 30th 2019, 8:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starbucks72
Thank you for your advice. I will check out the points calculator as you attached.
Maybe it's just easier to back to the UK, at least no paperwork needed, just our passport.
Whilst I was quite hopeful that there was an avenue to Canada, I starting to think differently. Shame we're not millionaires and could invest.
I have been on holiday to Canada on several occasions and loved it. Well done to all you Expats who made it there!
Being a millionaire wouldn't help you either, Canada's Investment Visa program was scrapped many years ago so wouldn't help you get to Vancouver anyway.

But don't give up just yet, do double check your points score for EE in case that is an option. As above, I suspect that it won't be as unfortunately your age and lack of post-secondary education will go against you. But EE is only 4 visa routes out of over 50, so there are other options.

Would you be looking to do the same in Canada as you do now (set up your own nursery school)? Would you consider somewhere other than BC? Either of you ever thought about getting a degree or similar?
Old Sep 30th 2019, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your words of support!
We would consider other provinces of course.

I wasn't thinking of going to set up a nursery school but rather to work within a schooll.

I would certainly take on another qualification but as mentioned we are currently living in South Africa so to take on a new qualification now would mean having to stay here and complete it here which is not a great option but if it's a mean to ends, I may have to consider it.

When I do the EE assessment, I will report back and see what you guys think. The minefield of permits is quite overwhelming tbh!
Old Sep 30th 2019, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Oh, and my partner would be open to both options, to work for a company or set up his own business although we haven't looked into that option in depth and so wouldn't know the complexity of that.
Something to look into.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 9:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't thinking of going to set up a nursery school but rather to work within a schooll.

I would certainly take on another qualification but as mentioned we are currently living in South Africa so to take on a new qualification now would mean having to stay here and complete it here which is not a great option but if it's a mean to ends, I may have to consider it.
I was actually thinking of you studying in Canada, if you have the funds to do so. Your husband would then get an open work permit for the same duration as your course of study, no job offer required.

And the reason I asked about setting up a business, is that there are programs for that, so that could be a good route as you have experience of that already, have a look at these and see if either may fit -

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tart-visa.html

https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...ur-Immigration

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 30th 2019 at 11:06 am.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much help and effort.
I will for sure research these options.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Just out of interest, if I went down the degree route for example, can I apply for PR after the course has finished?
Old Sep 30th 2019, 12:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Just out of interest, if I went down the degree route for example, can I apply for PR after the course has finished?
Not automatically, but you can get a post graduate work permit, so that may mean you then qualify for PR via work (and you'd get extra points under the CRS for having a Canadian qualification). So you don't get PR from studying in Canada, but it can absolutely help you qualify. Your husband may also have a route to PR once there working too.

HTH.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Frazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

If I understand correctly, I would need my qualifications assessed but I have the original transcripts with me and they are saying that the transcripts must be sent directly from the college. My NVQ was awarded in 1986 and the assessment no longer exists (knocked down and built into flats) so not sure how I would go about that?
We are just waiting on the sale of the school then we're good to go.
Any help or advice would greatly appreciated.
I found that my college would not provide original transcripts, I had to go back to the awarding body which in my case was City and Guilds.
Perhaps the awarding body for your qualification still exists and could provide proof for you.

Old Sep 30th 2019, 4:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

To work as an ECE you would need Compulsary Certification (as you do for most things in Canada) and registration, a convoluted process for internationally trained - for BC: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/e...ea-certificate
Old Oct 1st 2019, 4:15 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your replies.
I do have my original transcripts and the original awarding body was abolished in 1991 and has been changed 5 times since.
I see that to have my transcripts assessed, they want the original sent directly from the awarding or college in a sealed envelope etc etc but neither of them exist (assessment centre was knocked down and built into flats) so although I have the originals not sure that's going to work.
The same as my senior school. I have my original exam results but now to have proof that I went to that school is like trying to get blood from a stone!
I have emailed them several times over the last 3 months and nothing?
I am still looking into the links as sent above and hopefully one works, possibly the post grad.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Frazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

It is very unfortunate that both your college and awarding body no longer exist. It doesn't sound too promising.

If you were to go down the student route your partner should be entitled to an open work permit, he could then rack up some skilled work experience that would give you extra points for immigration at a later date. Also after finishing your course you could be entitled to a postgraduate work permit.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 9:19 am
Just Joined

That's my one concern with the transcripts. As mentioned I have the originals but that's not how they want them. It wouldn't have so bad if I had only just finished school or my NVQ that to go back to 1986 is proving a mission.
Thank you for your response. I will still and try this route with further investigation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.