Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

HELP : Temporary Resident Permit to accompany Work Permit for my partner...

HELP : Temporary Resident Permit to accompany Work Permit for my partner...

Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP : Temporary Resident Permit to accompany Work Permit for my partner...

I once waited almost 2 years for a response from CIC - I ended up emailing the Minister of Immigration's office asking for a response. It turned out that they had mislaid the file and not looked at it for 18 months!

Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

irishgirl33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELP : Temporary Resident Permit to accompany Work Permit for my partner...

OMG 2 yrs.thats just stupid isnt it.thats the thing you dont even now if they have your file.there needs to be a system with a file number issued even for Temp visas etc.

did u contact an immigration lawyer and explain your case about your partner.if so im sure they would have told you if he should get one issued or not.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Moondoggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi irishgirl.

Well we did consider talking to a lawyer right back at the start, but it doesnt seem worth it now. Unless an immigration lawyer could say to us with 100% certainty that my partner will get a TRP, or give us a 100% "no not a chance", it seems like a waste of money and time...

If all an immigration lawyer could tell us is "Given your situation and your partner's minor record, his chances of getting a TRP are highly likely and he SHOULD be successful"... Well... that kind of response doesnt seem worthwhile, since I have come to that conclusion myself by reading all the guidlines and information available on TRPs. But just because he SHOULD be successful doesnt mean he will be.

Unless the lawyers have some kind of insider knowledge of exactly the decision an immigration worker would make, then I doubt I would get the kind of peace of mind I am looking for.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

oh i know what your saying,and at this stage you might as well just wait.
but what i find the most annoying,is that there doesnt seem to be a certain guideline as to who or why they could refuse you.
as i told u before my hubby was refused TWP from high commission but yet another woman was passed ,and my hubbys was a less serious charge according to the law and my hubbys was 2 yrs older than that womans.
there should be a certain timescale that once you pass who are eligible and also certain charges especially DUI charges seems to depend on the officer who has your application.

all very confussing and so frustrating when peoples lives are on hold.

do hope you hear something soon.I remember when we where waiting for TWP.towards the end we just wanted an answer even if it was no. so we could just move on.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Yeh that is very true.... there should definitely be more information available and real life stuff. When your husband was refused the TWP didnt you get a detailed reason why? Was it because you needed a TRP before he could be granted a TWP?
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

no they never even mentioned TRP.i just came across that myself.

all they said was he was criminally inadmissable to canada. i asked what could he do next and they said apply for Criminal rehab.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Ah yeh, he was probably just denied the TWP because of the inadmissibility. They dont automatically grant you TRP or criminal rehab unless you specifically apply for it, which is a shame really.

One of the reasons I am glad we applied for our TRP at the same time as the TWP, else they would just have rejected my partners TWP for the same reason.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

oh yes thats why.but i didnt know that at the time. because it was past 5 yrs,didnt think there would have been a problem.i have learned so much in the last year.

but i know peole who have just gone and applied for TWP at POE with charges on their olice cert over 5yrs and have been granted.so it still a wonder.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hahaha yes I feel like that too. I feel as if the knowledge I have gained over the past 6 months, I could go and work at the embassy as an immigration worker now... lol
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

CHANGE OF TACTIC:

Ok so after the Embassy in London continually telling us they cannot give us any indication of a decision date for my partners TRP... (The latest was, me asking if there was even a slight possibility that we would hear back from them before the new year, guess what? They couldn't even be compassionate and let us know if that was a possibility!)

I have decided to ask/request if there is any reason why myself and my partner cannot travel to Canada asap and continue (or start a new) application for his TRP and TWP as we land in Canada...

It seems his chances of getting a yes would be the same as they are with his application at the CIC in London, and this way we would know within an exact timeframe.

Currently me and my partner has resigned to the fact that the CIC in London won't get back to us within a decent time, we could be waiting a further 6 months or longer!

So we have decided that if we are able to do it this way, we should just go for it... then at least we can get on with our lives one way or the other, either in Canada or back here in the UK.

* Can anyone see any problems with me requesting this from the Embassy?
* Is there anything wrong with what I have asked them , or are they likely to bar us from travelling given that we currently have an ongoing application?
* Does anyone think that, with us already have an application with the CIC in London would adversely affect the decision of his TRP as we land?

Thanks.

Last edited by Moondoggy; Nov 2nd 2011 at 6:22 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

i think they will tell you that he cant travel to canada until they have made their decision. sorry.
because you have started the application in london,you will just have to wait. i could be wrong(hope so).maybe it might be worth getting some legal advice.

good luck
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I'm hoping that isn't the case too. The worst they could do is tell us if we do travel to Canada he will get a definite no on landing, since we have an ongoing application, but I hope that's not the case...
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Does anyone have any experience of asking the CIC if they can pursue their application via another route. i.e at the POE? or have some knowledge of what the likely response is going to be to make a request like this?

Thanks.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 4:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moondoggy
Does anyone have any experience of asking the CIC if they can pursue their application via another route. i.e at the POE? or have some knowledge of what the likely response is going to be to make a request like this?

Thanks.
Not sure you'll get anybody else on the forum that has applied for a TRP and been in the same situation I'm afraid, it's such a rare thing to apply for and I don't recall any others on the forum.

I do seem to remember that various forum members who have asked if they could apply for a TWP at POE after applying via the visa office (when they discovered how much quicker it is) have been told they can't when they've already submitted a postal application, but can't be sure - a quick search may reveal a relevant thread.

Sorry, not much use but just thought I'd try and respond!
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah I can understand that, and common sense would tell you that they wouldn't like you to do this, since it causes more work for them... but without wanting to sound arrogant, what can they do to stop you? Can they stop you from trying to travel to canada and applying at the POE while you have an ongoing application... the worst they could do is tell you that doing so while having an ongoing postal application would adversly affect your chances of getting whatever visa you wanted at the POE... does anyone think they would do this?

Does anyone know any official docs that state you shouldnt do this?

(I will have a forum search and see if I can uncover what you are saying about potential other members that might have tried this)

Its partly their own fault for having such disparate systems and such massively different processing times, that seem to be unfair for no reason on people that use the CIC in London.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.