Help with Spousal Work Permit

Old Aug 13th 2007, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

daveh123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with Spousal Work Permit

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if there is a separate Spousal open work permit application form or do you use the same form as the principal applicant? (i.e We both send a form each). This form asks about the applicants prospective employer in Canada. I am the principal applicant and I have a confirmed LMO, however, my girlfriend obviously does not have a job in place yet.

I would be grateful if anyone else has had a similar situation, whereby the lead applicant has a job offer but their partner doesn't yet, although they do intend to work once there. Any help with deciding which forms to use gratefully received!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 8:49 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help with Spousal Work Permit

Your spouse just needs to fill out the same form as you - but obviously her own form, not yours. I don't think it really matters, but my girlfriend wrote down the type of job she expected to work in along with a rough idea of salary. Just include a letter explaining that you're applying for a spousal open work permit with your application and it'll be fine.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:21 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daveh123
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if there is a separate Spousal open work permit application form or do you use the same form as the principal applicant? (i.e We both send a form each). This form asks about the applicants prospective employer in Canada. I am the principal applicant and I have a confirmed LMO, however, my girlfriend obviously does not have a job in place yet.

I would be grateful if anyone else has had a similar situation, whereby the lead applicant has a job offer but their partner doesn't yet, although they do intend to work once there. Any help with deciding which forms to use gratefully received!
Hi
Had the same thing recently
I am the principle permit holder and have to apply for spousal open work permit. I emailed the immigration dept at my future employer and was told to use the same application form and put in current employer details and job title and in space for prospective employer put "spousal open work permit", no salary was put, and he just signed it:this was handed in today.
Hope this helps
Terese
Old Aug 14th 2007, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

daveh123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks folks, we'll do that this week and get it sent off.
My girlfriend should be working in healthcare so she will probably be called for a medical. Does anyone know how long this could take altogether?

Dave.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 10:38 am
Just Joined

kennyandlinda is an unknown quantity at this point

we were told the that my partner would get a open work only when we become PR.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 1:00 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kennyandlinda
we were told the that my partner would get a open work only when we become PR.
Who told you this? You don't need a work permit if you're a permanent resident - that's kind of the whole point.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

what my immigration lawyer said was, quote:your partner will not be entitled to a open work permit unless/until iam nominated by the province of alberta for PR.If you are not nominated, but your employer confirms in writing that you are being offered permanent employment for an indeterminate period of time, my application for PR will be :fast tracked: and of course my partner linda will have the right to work as a PR
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:06 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

what my immigration lawyer said was, quote:your partner will not be entitled to a open work permit unless/until iam nominated by the province of alberta for PR.If you are not nominated, but your employer confirms in writing that you are being offered permanent employment for an indeterminate period of time, my application for PR will be :fast tracked: and of course my partner linda will have the right to work as a PR
I've already got a job, got my lmo and handed in my wp application together with my husbands spousal open work permit. This is what I have been told to do by my new employer this gives my husband the ability to look for work , not needing to wait for PR at all, please double check this you don't want to have to wait when you can just apply for an open work permit when you apply for yours, and this is what was handed in to CHC
Terese
Old Aug 15th 2007, 6:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by terese677
I've already got a job, got my lmo and handed in my wp application together with my husbands spousal open work permit. This is what I have been told to do by my new employer this gives my husband the ability to look for work , not needing to wait for PR at all, please double check this you don't want to have to wait when you can just apply for an open work permit when you apply for yours, and this is what was handed in to CHC
Terese
thanks for that, i will look into it could i apply for owp at poe if thats the case ?.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that, i will look into it could i apply for owp at poe if thats the case ?.
Hi

only certain occupations get SOWP, there is a list somewhere- it sounds like yours isn't on it. Sorry
Old Aug 15th 2007, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gryphea
Hi

only certain occupations get SOWP, there is a list somewhere- it sounds like yours isn't on it. Sorry
OH WELL...! back to the waiting game, cheers gryhea
Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:33 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

OH WELL...! back to the waiting game, cheers gryhea
To be eligible for a spousal open work permit, the OH's job must be in Level A&B or O of the NOC. Here is the matrix http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/generic/matrix.pdf and here is where you search for the NOC Code: http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/generic/matrix.pdf Only if the OH receives a PNP certificate for non category A&B or O work, is the spouse then eligible for an open work permit.