Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help! Requirements for UK born children moving to Canada

Wikiposts

Help! Requirements for UK born children moving to Canada

Old Jul 6th 2010, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Headingforhalifax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Requirements for UK born children moving to Canada

Hi there, we are planning to relocate our family to Canada in a few months' time. My wife is Canadian and my spousal application is well underway (7 months).

We were given contradictory advice as to the requirements for our two 16 month old children. In one version, we were told to start their citizenship applications once we arrived in canada (which is what we assumed to be the case). But we are now being told that the kids need to apply for Citizenship here in the UK and we need to wait for that to finalise before leaving - currently taking between 12-15 months to process.

Our plans are well underway. We've given notice to leave our jobs and our flat is on the market to sell. It would be a bit of a disaster if we now had to stay for another year.

Can anyone please tell us what they've done in a similar situation? We're just not sure which advice to believe and REALLY don't want to have to wait another year now. Ideally we'd like to be there in October.
Many thanks.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 9:11 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Requirements for UK born children moving to Canada

Hi

Originally Posted by Headingforhalifax
Hi there, we are planning to relocate our family to Canada in a few months' time. My wife is Canadian and my spousal application is well underway (7 months).

We were given contradictory advice as to the requirements for our two 16 month old children. In one version, we were told to start their citizenship applications once we arrived in canada (which is what we assumed to be the case). But we are now being told that the kids need to apply for Citizenship here in the UK and we need to wait for that to finalise before leaving - currently taking between 12-15 months to process.

Our plans are well underway. We've given notice to leave our jobs and our flat is on the market to sell. It would be a bit of a disaster if we now had to stay for another year.

Can anyone please tell us what they've done in a similar situation? We're just not sure which advice to believe and REALLY don't want to have to wait another year now. Ideally we'd like to be there in October.
Many thanks.
1. You apply for proof of citizenship for the children while you are residing in the UK. Since the application will take about 10 months obviously you will not have proof before you leave.
2. In that case, since you have applied for proof and have evidence of their citizenship, you then can immediately apply for a limited validity Canadian passport as they are under the age of 2, see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2009/ob154.asp
3. So submit your application for the proof and then apply for a passport. http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/form.aspx?l...=international
Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Headingforhalifax

Many thanks.
It looks like they are Canadiajn citizens already, provided one parent was born in Canada. Is that the case?
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadi...hip_by_Descent

What about New Zealand citizenship ... if you're from NZ and are an NZ citizen, have you got their NZ citizenship papers and passports sorted out?

And you say they're British citizens, but what about both of you? Are you planning to get British citizenship, or intending to abandon your U.K. resident status?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

We're in the same situation with a three year old and 18-month-old twins. I'm Canadian and my husband is British and our kids were born in the U.K. I read somewhere that it takes 10 - 12 months to get citizenship cards, and that's certainly the case when we applied for the first child in 2007. I also read that the kids and I must enter Canada on our Canadian passports when we move there. I called Canada House in London and asked what to do. She said she would send me the applications for the twins and for me to return them to her and she would try to get them rushed. And rushed they were. She made no promises, but was able to work a miracle! We had their citizenship cards within 2 months. I then applied for passports for all three and had them in 2 weeks. Since the kids are under the age of 2, you can get temporary passports if you've applied for but not received their citizenship cards. Contact Canada House and see if they can help you out. Good luck!