British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   help is required please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/help-required-please-931164/)

Earthmum Feb 17th 2020 6:48 pm

help is required please

Hi, my husband and I have decided after many years to make the move to BC Canada, we paid for an immigration lawyer as like alot of people thought we needed one but unfortunately they have turned out to be bleep bleep bleeps, basically wasted our money as we have received no help from them apart from a business plan and not much else. We are very saddened as we have literally wasted thousands of pounds on this company. So we have decided to do it ourselves, but we dont know where we go to set up our company/incorporate a business in BC. We tried to set up on the Canada.ca site but that seemed to want us to have a canadian business partner and would not let us move on to the next part without this info. (We do not need canadian residents to be our business partners in BC) We have been on the BC site but it has no option to set up a company on there. The visa we have been advised to go for is the owner operator visa. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help us and let us know which site we need to go on to set up our company. We have "brought" a BC address and got the Nuans report, as I mentioned earlier we have the business plan, we now need to know what we do next any ideas? Thanks in advance

christmasoompa Feb 17th 2020 7:02 pm

Re: help is required please

Hi, welcome to BE.

Sorry to hear you've had a tough time. Can you get a refund of your fees if the consultant hasn't done what you've paid for?

Not sure what you mean by 'owner operator' visa? Do you perhaps mean the Start Up Visa? Or were you applying under the Provincial Nominee Program?

TheAwesomeMatt Feb 17th 2020 7:12 pm

Maybe they mean an Owner/Operator LMIA?

Earthmum Feb 17th 2020 7:17 pm

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I think the start up visa is similar to the owner operator visa 🙄. Because of my husbands age (52) I am 43 our "lawyers" said the best way in is through setting up a business. Really confused now as not sure if their advice was even correct or not and yes trying to get our monies back from them, fingers crossed. Do we need to set up through the provinces own site in our case British Columbia.
Thank you again.

christmasoompa Feb 17th 2020 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by TheAwesomeMatt (Post 12807969)

Possibly, but sounds like they're hoping for a permanent move.

Originally Posted by Earthmum (Post 12807971)
Thank you so much for your quick reply. I think the start up visa is similar to the owner operator visa 🙄. Because of my husbands age (52) I am 43 our "lawyers" said the best way in is through setting up a business. Really confused now as not sure if their advice was even correct or not and yes trying to get our monies back from them, fingers crossed. Do we need to set up through the provinces own site in our case British Columbia.
Thank you again.

Can you clarify, were you planning on moving on a Temporary Work Permit? What's the business, how much experience in it do you have, what level of investment, and how many Canadians are you planning on hiring?

Earthmum Feb 17th 2020 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by TheAwesomeMatt (Post 12807969)

yes thats exactly it 🙈

Earthmum Feb 17th 2020 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12807973)
Possibly, but sounds like they're hoping for a permanent move.

Can you clarify, were you planning on moving on a Temporary Work Permit? What's the business, how much experience in it do you have, what level of investment, and how many Canadians are you planning on hiring?

Hi thank you.
we were advised to apply for a temp. Visa Owner/operator as we were told we would have 3 years in BC temporarily and then whilst we were there we would be applying for PR. Our business is a wellness centre that we already run here in Cyprus, Yoga,meditation,dance,therapy I have taught for 17 years and my business has been running for nearly 9. We would initially start with employing two Canadians. (Advice given by imm.lawyers).

christmasoompa Feb 17th 2020 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Earthmum (Post 12807977)
Hi thank you.
we were advised to apply for a temp. Visa Owner/operator as we were told we would have 3 years in BC temporarily and then whilst we were there we would be applying for PR. Our business is a wellness centre that we already run here in Cyprus, Yoga,meditation,dance,therapy I have taught for 17 years and my business has been running for nearly 9. We would initially start with employing two Canadians. (Advice given by imm.lawyers).

Qualifying for PR may not be as easy as you've been led to believe without enough points or a sponsoring employer, I wouldn't look at it as a permanent move if you're only going on a Temp Work Permit. But have you explored the BC PNP? Similar requirements to a LMIA/TWP, but would get you PR - https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...ur-Immigration

Siouxie Feb 17th 2020 10:43 pm

Each City issues business licenses etc., it's not generally a 'generic' British Columbiia one. Where you you planning on moving to, should you be successful? If you need to be incorporated you will need to go to the main BC website - it explains how to incorporate :)
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/e...imited-company

The self employment route is a long one and requires significant amounts of financial investment.. you may be better off with Provincial Nomination, Norther BC route, as suggested by Christmasoompa.