Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help - Proof of intention to re-establish in Canada

Help - Proof of intention to re-establish in Canada

Old May 23rd 2011, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

CannuckHeadingHome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - Proof of intention to re-establish in Canada

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie to the forum but have already got a huge amount of help from reading the Wiki, articles, and the forum. However, I cannot find an answer to this particular issue. Hopefully someone out there can help.

First a bit of background. I am a Canadian/British dual citizen and have been in the UK since 1987. My OH is British by birth and we have been together for 22 years so I don't think we should have difficulty proving our common-law relationship. My OH retired last year and I have just been made redundant and so plan to finish work. We want to move to Canada and plan to move our pensions and assets over as soon as his PR is granted.

So - now for the problem: I do not have a job offer, house, property rental or other obvious way for me to prove that I am planning to re-establish in Canada - as required for the Sponsor Questionnaire. I have started discussions with a financial advisor in Canada to begin transfer of our pension funds and other assets. However, I do not want to start moving a lot of money and buy a house until we get his PR. I am just a natural pessimist and so am afraid that it might not be granted (although I cannot see that there should be any problem!).

I have seen that plenty of folks have made sponsorship and PR applications from the UK. Has anyone done this without a job offer, educational acceptance, etc ? What should I put on the form to convince them that we are really going to move ?

Any suggestions or experience would be gratefully received !

Thanks
Sue
Old May 23rd 2011, 11:06 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - Proof of intention to re-establish in Canada

Originally Posted by CannuckHeadingHome
Hi everyone,

I am a newbie to the forum but have already got a huge amount of help from reading the Wiki, articles, and the forum. However, I cannot find an answer to this particular issue. Hopefully someone out there can help.

First a bit of background. I am a Canadian/British dual citizen and have been in the UK since 1987. My OH is British by birth and we have been together for 22 years so I don't think we should have difficulty proving our common-law relationship. My OH retired last year and I have just been made redundant and so plan to finish work. We want to move to Canada and plan to move our pensions and assets over as soon as his PR is granted.

So - now for the problem: I do not have a job offer, house, property rental or other obvious way for me to prove that I am planning to re-establish in Canada - as required for the Sponsor Questionnaire. I have started discussions with a financial advisor in Canada to begin transfer of our pension funds and other assets. However, I do not want to start moving a lot of money and buy a house until we get his PR. I am just a natural pessimist and so am afraid that it might not be granted (although I cannot see that there should be any problem!).

I have seen that plenty of folks have made sponsorship and PR applications from the UK. Has anyone done this without a job offer, educational acceptance, etc ? What should I put on the form to convince them that we are really going to move ?

Thanks
Sue
You could get a letter from the financial advisor - if you have friends or family in Canada you could have them write letters confirming that they are aware of your intention to move to Canada. You could also do the same with family members in the UK - have them write letters confirming they are aware of your intentions to move back to Canada.
Old May 24th 2011, 12:37 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, and welcome! We are in a slightly different situation, but not much. My husband is Canadian, and now wants to go home. My spousal sponsorship has been approved, and we are now on the looooog wait for the Paris Embassy to look into my PR. We wrote a covering letter saying that if my sponsorship was approved we intended to move back with our son. This was accepted. We don't have a home in Canada, and although my husband now works for a Canadian company, he works in Africa. We don't have money or a bank account in Canada either, because my husband left Canada eons ago. We were just very clear in the letter, because we couldn't really sell our home and make plans to move if my sponsorship wasn't approved. Very best of luck!
Old May 24th 2011, 3:21 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CannuckHeadingHome
Hi everyone,

Thanks
Sue
As MillieF says, it's quite easy. You just write a covering letter stating that you intend to re-establish yourself in Canada by finding work, purchasing a house, etc etc, once your OH's PR has been finalised.
Old May 24th 2011, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

CannuckHeadingHome is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, thanks for the helpful and quick replies ! I will work on letters from advisors, family, and us to explain our plans.

I appreciate the help and can hopefully provide assistance to others once we get through the other side...whenever that it.

thanks again
Sue
Old May 24th 2011, 7:18 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Sue, the only thing I can assure you of, is that it will probably be longer than you think!
Old May 24th 2011, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

We just wrote a cover letter explaining our intentions although had nothing concrete because we could not do anything until the PR was granted.