Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help! Is the process easier as my girlfriend Is a resident?

Help! Is the process easier as my girlfriend Is a resident?

Old Jul 26th 2017, 12:17 am
Just Joined

FindingCandace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Is the process easier as my girlfriend Is a resident?

My girlfriend is a Canadian resident and I, sadly am not.
I wish to move over with her, I thought about moving them applying then just applying, which is faster ?
Old Jul 26th 2017, 12:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Is the process easier as my girlfriend Is a resident?

Originally Posted by FindingCandace
My girlfriend is a Canadian resident and I, sadly am not.
I wish to move over with her, I thought about moving them applying then just applying, which is faster ?
Hi, welcome to BE.

Sorry, I'm not which two routes you're comparing to find out which is faster?

Your gf being just a Canadian resident (I assume a Permanent Resident.....or is she a Canadian citizen) has no bearing on your own chances of a visa. For her to be able to sponsor you for PR, you'd need to either be married or to have lived together for a year or more. So when you say you wish to love over 'with her', does that mean she's in the UK now and if so, have you been living together as husband and wife/wife & wife?

HTH.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

Sorry, I'm not which two routes you're comparing to find out which is faster?

Your gf being just a Canadian resident (I assume a Permanent Resident.....or is she a Canadian citizen) has no bearing on your own chances of a visa. For her to be able to sponsor you for PR, you'd need to either be married or to have lived together for a year or more. So when you say you wish to love over 'with her', does that mean she's in the UK now and if so, have you been living together as husband and wife/wife & wife?

HTH.
My girlfriend is a Canadian citizen who lives in Canada.
I believe the process for immigration takes about a year .
I was wondering if this process would take a shorter time if she was linked to my immigration.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 12:52 am
Just Joined

And thank you for the reply
Old Jul 26th 2017, 12:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering if this process would take a shorter time if she was linked to my immigration.
Ah, I see. No, her being a citizen won't have any bearing on timescales. I assume you're looking at an Express Entry application? If so, the main thing that will affect how the speed of process is will be how quickly you're invited to apply for PR. If you're scoring highly then you should get an invite straight away, so it shouldn't take more than approx 6-8 months after applying, but if you're scoring lower then you might be sat in the pool for a month or two (or three or four) before you get an invite. So what is your score on the CRS?

And have you already got your ECA and IELTS ready to apply? That will speed things up if so.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

How old are you?
Old Jul 26th 2017, 2:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, I see. No, her being a citizen won't have any bearing on timescales. I assume you're looking at an Express Entry application? If so, the main thing that will affect how the speed of process is will be how quickly you're invited to apply for PR. If you're scoring highly then you should get an invite straight away, so it shouldn't take more than approx 6-8 months after applying, but if you're scoring lower then you might be sat in the pool for a month or two (or three or four) before you get an invite. So what is your score on the CRS?

And have you already got your ECA and IELTS ready to apply? That will speed things up if so.

Thanks again.

i had got to the final stage of completing an immigration but ties with someone else , that obviously isn't the case now.
So essentially I have everything I need .
I just wondered if having a partner who is a citizen would need a different path or if there was one quicker... being apart is never good and expensive on monthly flights
Old Jul 26th 2017, 4:01 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again.

i had got to the final stage of completing an immigration but ties with someone else , that obviously isn't the case now.
So essentially I have everything I need .
I just wondered if having a partner who is a citizen would need a different path or if there was one quicker... being apart is never good and expensive on monthly flights
On what basis are you trying to apply for Permanent Residency? Do you mean that you were being sponsored by a previous partner or through a job offer or some other way?

If you could let us know how you were at the final stage previously - i.e. which route - it would help us to help you. Are you a skilled worker, a skilled tradesperson, have a job offer, have Provincial nomination?

Regardless, unless you are married to the Canadian Citizen - or have lived with them 'as if married' for a year - they will have no impact on an application. Was it your hope to come as a visitor, live with them for a year and then apply for spousal sponsorship?

Sorry, I'm a little confused!

Old Jul 26th 2017, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
On what basis are you trying to apply for Permanent Residency? Do you mean that you were being sponsored by a previous partner or through a job offer or some other way?

If you could let us know how you were at the final stage previously - i.e. which route - it would help us to help you. Are you a skilled worker, a skilled tradesperson, have a job offer, have Provincial nomination?

Regardless, unless you are married to the Canadian Citizen - or have lived with them 'as if married' for a year - they will have no impact on an application. Was it your hope to come as a visitor, live with them for a year and then apply for spousal sponsorship?

Sorry, I'm a little confused!

I'm not explaining myself well
Am I haha
Yes I did want to visit and live and then apply but I understand that may not Ben a good move .
I sponsored by her visa yes .
Old Jul 26th 2017, 4:20 am
Just Joined

Am I haha
Yes I did want to visit and live and then apply but I understand that may not Ben a good move .
My original application got as far as submitting the final report before we split. She was the main applicant.

I have moved in Australia before so I don't see a problem with passing a Canadian test . Fingers crossed
Old Jul 26th 2017, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Am I haha
My original application got as far as submitting the final report before we split. She was the main applicant.

I have moved in Australia before so I don't see a problem with passing a Canadian test . Fingers crossed
I'm sorry, you're still not being at all clear.

Have you already filed an immigration application? If so, what type was it? Do you mean a previous partner was sponsoring you for immigration, then it was cancelled as you broke up, and now you have a new one? Do you mean a partner was immigrating through an economic class, but you were removed as a dependent from the application when you broke up?

Your last line that your partner was the 'main applicant' suggests you were the dependent on another person's app, but it's not clear. And a note, as different countries with different policies and needs, being able to immigrate to Australia does not mean you'll be able to immigrate to Canada. Have you identified a Canadian immigration stream you qualify for?
Old Jul 26th 2017, 8:12 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps this might help you narrow down which route you are hoping to take?

Quick Guide to Canadian Immigration : British Expat Wiki