HELP, PR CARD NEVER TURNED UP!

Old Dec 29th 2011, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Rich_London is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP, PR CARD NEVER TURNED UP!

Hay all, i dont know where else to turn about our PR card. We landed in March and did all the paperwork and had to leave a few weeks later back to the UK. We have family friends in Vancouver and left their address as the delivery address for the PR card.

Now, 9 months later the card still has not arrived, nor has any correspondence about it. We're in the UK so can't call the 1-888-242‑2100 number and the automated online system on the CIC can't find any of the details we have on our PPR, record of landing etc meaning, i think, that the PR has been processed and dispatched.

I'm not going to rant but i'm a little upset that we've paid all this money for application processing etc but can't speak to anyone or find out what has happened If it got lost in the post ( i know there were strikes on at the time) or if there is a problem of some sort.

Does anyone have any ideas at all, bar flying to Toronto to make a call to the number above i'm stuck....

Hope you all had a good Christmas wherever you are!

Thanks,
Rich
Old Dec 29th 2011, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP, PR CARD NEVER TURNED UP!

Try this link to see if you can contact CIC Processing Centre in Sydney by email. Your client ID consisting of 8 digits and PR Visa usually starting with a T can be found on your copy of the COPR that was given back to you on landing.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/index.asp
Old Dec 29th 2011, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, i've sent them an email now. I just wish there was a way to call someone from outside of Canada.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Oh, just had an automated reply:

Please note that we will not respond to e-mails concerning the following:

* Processing of Permanent Resident Cards.

I don't understand why this is so hard.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 5:43 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_London
I don't understand why this is so hard.
Maybe because permanent resident cards are for people who are resident in Canada? The system allows people to become permanent residents and then go to live in another country for a number of months or years, but it is not designed to facilitate it.

Anyway, it is not a huge deal. As has been discussed extensively on here, you don't need a PR card to travel back to Canada and you can apply for a duplicate once you get here.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

I understand that the system is built around the understanding that those who go through landing stay from that point on but as I gather from allot of the posts on this site that many of those landers fly home to tie up affairs, sell houses etc before making the final move.

I just though they could acknowledge this and give people a clue as to what to do if there are problems with the PR and they are outside the country.

Anyway, as you say, we can still land without it. Thanks for the advice
Old Dec 29th 2011, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Scotjames is on a distinguished road

Hi
It's looks like you may need to apply again for a replacement PR card
as 180 days from 'landing' has elapsed, so it will cost anothe $50 each processing fee
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ons/prcard.asp

Remember they will only post it to a Canadian address plus if its treated as a
'replacement card' you'll probably looking at around 160 days to process your card from when they receive your application.
The problem with your first card could have been the photos that's what happened to me.
All the best .

Last edited by Scotjames; Dec 29th 2011 at 6:10 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Hopefully they just got lost in the post, if there had been problems with the photographs i would have thought they would at least write to us and let us know but there has been absolutely no correspondence to our given address at all in 10 months...
Old Dec 31st 2011, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

chobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nice

Hi Rich,

Similar to yourself, I landed in March and my card never showed up.
Here's my thread on what happened ... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=741732

Good luck but my understanding as others have mentioned is that you'll have to pay $50 for a replacement card now that the time frame for reporting your original card missing has elapsed.

Your COPR document will of course be fine in the meantime but it is a good feeling to finally get that shiny piece of plastic!
Old Dec 31st 2011, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rich
Your biggest problem will be applying for a 'replacement PR card' from outside of Canada. You'll be able to download all the necessary forms online (IMM5444)
but you will also need to complete a 'Supplementary Identification IMM 5455'
which can't be downloaded it can only be collected in person from your local
CIC office or they will post one out to your ' Canadian' address. Like others have mentioned its taking around 150 calendar days for them to process replacement cards. Once the cards are produced you will be sent you a letter to your Canadian address informing you to attend your local CIC in person to collect the card.They normally send replacement PR cards to the office located nearest to your given address in Canada. All the info regarding collection will be fully detailed in the letter they send you once the cards are ready.
Good luck
Old Dec 31st 2011, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies, sounds like this is what has happened. I've got a couple of mates in the UK who have been through all this in the last couple of years and both had problems with Photo's which meant they had to fly back and sort things out.

I'm pretty disillusioned with the whole Canadian immigration experience so far. The application which was an expensive, messy nightmare, coming over with my partner for three months costing us $15K in which time neither us of could find a job and now both our cards getting "lost" in the post? I mean these are important identity documents aren't they? Couldn't some of the $$$ we paid for "administration fees" to CIC have been used to send PR cards recorded delivery?

I called the Canadian Embassy number in the UK the other day and it went something like this:

- "Please press 2 for English".
- I press 2
- "Sorry 2 is not a valid option"
- I press 2
- "Sorry 2 is not a valid option"
- I press 2
- Thank you, goodbye.

I'm sorry, don't mean to be a moan, I'm sure everyone in here knows how frustrating all this can get....

Thanks again for the insights, will be thinking long and hard about the next step.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Rich
Old Dec 31st 2011, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rich
Just PM'd the info that should help