Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help Please - What is the best thing to do..

Help Please - What is the best thing to do..

Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:30 am
Just Joined

summer_james is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help Please - What is the best thing to do..

Hi guys,

I have been reading so many questions on here that I am still not sure what to do.

I am a British citizen, living in the UK at present, but would like to work in Vancouver.

I am 35 years old (ouch!) and have worked in property for the last 15 years as a PA. I am just completing a Legal Secretary Diploma in Litigation and Business Law and wondered if this is enough of a qualification for me to work in Canada? If so, what is the best way to find work? Is it to visit Vancouver and see or are there any international recruitment agencies that can help?

I also have around £8,000 in savings but do own a property here in the UK but will be continuing to pay my mortgage here while I am away (if that makes sense...).

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by summer_james; Jan 28th 2009 at 10:35 am.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:43 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Please - What is the best thing to do..

Hi

Originally Posted by summer_james
Hi guys,

I have been reading so many questions on here that I am still not sure what to do.

I am a British citizen, living in the UK at present, but would like to work in Vancouver.

I am 35 years old (ouch!) and have worked in property for the last 15 years as a PA. I am just completing a Legal Secretary Diploma in Litigation and Business Law and wondered if this is enough of a qualification for me to work in Canada? If so, what is the best way to find work? Is it to visit Vancouver and see or are there any international recruitment agencies that can help?

I also have around £8,000 in savings but do own a property here in the UK but will be continuing to pay my mortgage here while I am away (if that makes sense...).

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
1. It would appear that you wouldn't qualify for FSW 1 unless you have experience in a job that is on the list of "38" http://tinyurl.com/6ml2h3
2. To qualify for FSW 2/3 you either have to have work permit in a skilled occupation or an employer who can get an Arranged Employment Option
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...lled/index.asp
3. You are too old for Bunac, I am sorry to say.
4. So unless you can find an employer in Canada who is will to go through the hoops for a job, you are pretty well out of luck.
5. You could check the Provincial Nomination Plans to see if you can fit in there. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...cial/index.asp