Help please... I need answers! x

Old May 17th 2011, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

Nicki1209 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help please... I need answers! x

Hi Im Nicki and was wondering if i could pick your lovely brains!!

My boyfriend has been offered a position working for a telecomms company working in Calgary, Canada. He has sent off all of his documentation and is awaiting a start date.

I went down to Manchester with him for the interview and was advised that i was welcome to go with him and i would be granted a visa also as his partner. I have an 8 year old daughter from a previous marriage that i will be taking with me.

The whole process seems to be a little vague from my side of things really. He has sent off all of his security clearance, application forms etc etc and is awaiting a start date. We have done lots of research on Calgary, the areas etc however..............

1. Is it just a given that i am able to go over?
I have visions of him going over there and it all falling to pieces due to the lack of communication from the company. I have put my house up for sale (I needed to sell it as a divorce settlement anyway) but with the view of saving up a few thousand pounds over in GB and then moving over there when he has completed his 90 days training. The idea being that he gets a one bedroom flat or shares till myself and my daughter go over and my that time he will look to rent something for us to live as a family over there. I have an excellent career backround and am not too concerned about finding work but cannot search for work properly till i have a definate leave date which will depend on the sale of the house. Our aim is for us to be all together for xmas.

2. Is there any kind of questions going to be asked about how long we have been together? Do we need to have proof of living together or bank accounts together or anything?

God i could think of loads of other questions before i got on here and my mind has gone blank. Ive looked at all of the emmigration websites which seem to be confusing as most of them talk about getting a work permit but is it different as my BF is being sponsered by the company and my visa would come through the company im told?

3. Would there be any costs involved in getting the visa as some of the confusing websites do mention cost being involved. If so how much?

I hope im not asking too much of you all and any light you can shed i would be so grateful.

Im finding it difficult to fully believe this is all going to be happening. There is lots of things i could be doing now to put things in place....... Selling my private number plate, organising documents, getting everything up to date, sorting lofts and garages etc etc all in preparation and keeping myself motivated towards the move however................. i need answers.

I have been offered an email address to send to the company but as he is still going through the clearance process himself i didnt really wont to bother the company just yet.

Help... please ........................ xx
Old May 18th 2011, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help please... I need answers! x

I presume he has applied for a temp work permit? What NOC is he because not all TWP allows spouse to work
Old May 18th 2011, 12:35 am
Just Joined

Sorry i dont mean to sound thick , but this is my first post and i dont know what your abbreviations mean x
Old May 18th 2011, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

You state He has sent off all of his documentation and is awaiting a start date. so what documentation has he sent for?

What job has he been offered because depending on job and what National Occupational Classification (NOC) is he because depending on this will depend on whether you can work.

For him to live and work in Canada he needs either permanent residency or a temp work permit
Old May 18th 2011, 12:46 am
Just Joined

He sent off application forms to the company their own, a Criminal Record Check, passport, driving licence , proof of address etc and im told these have come back all clear but i am advised this is just waiting to come back from immigration.

He is a Data Telcomms Engineer and i dont know anything about National Occupational Classification.

It must be a temp permit as they mentioned that we could apply to permanent residence after this
Old May 18th 2011, 12:51 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicki1209
He sent off application forms to the company their own, a Criminal Record Check, passport, driving licence , proof of address etc and im told these have come back all clear but i am advised this is just waiting to come back from immigration.

He is a Data Telcomms Engineer and i dont know anything about National Occupational Classification.

It must be a temp permit as they mentioned that we could apply to permanent residence after this
Immigration would not need to see this documents yet - if they get a positive labour market opinion for this job, it would be down to your OH to apply for the Work Permit.

They may have just asked for all of the above to complete the LMO application form.
Old May 18th 2011, 12:54 am
Just Joined

Sorry........... what does OH and LMO mean?
Old May 18th 2011, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

OH other half

LMO Labour Market opinion http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplace.../lmi_tfw.shtml

Suggest you have a good read in the wiki http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada
Old May 18th 2011, 1:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. Silverdragon has given you the link to the Wiki, and in there is an article on abbreviations which would be well worth a read, plus loads of other useful info.

To give you a brief overview, your boyfriend's potential employer must now apply for a LMO (Labour Market Opinion - to prove that they have advertised the job and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job). Once he has that, and a written job offer, he can apply for a Temporary Work Permit. All of the stuff your boyfriend's employer have asked for are not necessary for immigration purposes, so that must have been for their own internal purposes.

You could accompany him assuming that you have lived together for a year or more (you would need to prove this) and would therefore be deemed his 'common-law partner'. If his job is Skill Level A, O or B on the NOC Matrix, you would get a Spousal Open Work Permit (again, assuming you can prove you are common-law partners).

Regarding costs, it's $150 for each work permit (yours and his), but the company should pay for this, along with relocation costs. Selling your house may not be a good idea at the moment, at least until you have Permanent Residency - on a Temp Work Permit he'll be tied to his employer and cannot work for anybody else with a new application, so if he's made redundant or similar, you may all have to return to the UK. Unfortunately, in the current economic climate, we've seen a lot of forum members lose their jobs whilst on TWP's and it's not a very secure way of moving, so may be best to keep your house as back up if you can - obviously up to you, but just thought I'd mention it. Plus of course, you may hate it in Canada and wish to return, plenty do!

Another thing to note regarding your daughter is that you will require her father's written permission to remove her from UK jurisdiction, so you'll want to get that underway asap.

Hope all the above helps. Grab a cuppa, and have a good read of the Wiki - hopefully all will become clearer.

Good luck.

Edit: here is the Wiki link to the article on abbreviations. It's given in the 'Newcomers to the Forum' sticky thread on the main page, so that may be a good place for you to start your reading. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadian_Abbreviations

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 18th 2011 at 1:23 am.
Old May 18th 2011, 1:31 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much for that..... atleast i know of somewhere to start.

How do i need to prove we have been together for over a year? Is it that we have been together for over a year or that we have lived together over a year.

What i couldnt prove that?

Thanks so much for this............
Old May 18th 2011, 1:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

How do i need to prove we have been together for over a year? Is it that we have been together for over a year or that we have lived together over a year.
It's to have lived together for a year or more, not just been together. Things like joint rental agreement, joint bank account, insurance in both names at the same address etc will show this, plus you can get a Statutory Declaration done.

Here is the link from the CIC website on who can accompany a Temp Work Permit holder to Canada............. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...work-faq06.asp As you can see, you either need to be common-law partners, or married, to be able to go with him.

And here is the info from the CIC website about who qualifies as a common-law partner.............

"Common-law partner

You are a common-law partner—either of the opposite sex or same sex—if:

•you have been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in a continuous 12-month period that was not interrupted. (You are allowed short absences for business travel or family reasons, however.)

You will need proof that you and your common-law partner have combined your affairs and set up a household together. This can be in the form of:

•joint bank accounts or credit cards
•joint ownership of a home
•joint residential leases
•joint rental receipts
•joint utilities (electricity, gas, telephone)
•joint management of household expenses
•proof of joint purchases, especially for household items or
•mail addressed to either person or both people at the same address."

HTH.
Old May 18th 2011, 3:23 am
Just Joined

ok, thank you, Im going to bet on to the company directly now. Atleast i have somewhere i start........

Many thanks
Nicki
Old May 18th 2011, 6:31 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

The most important info? Print off the Wiki abbreviation sheets and stick them in a plastic folder by the PC. Sadly, I almost understand most of the posts because I have become 'au fait' with the abbreviations! Best of luck!!!
Old May 18th 2011, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Just wanted to say thank you so much guys! I have got on to the company and all of the information you have provided is correct.

The process is now clearer although my only problem being that we have have no proof of living together for a year.

Long story but my house is in mine and my ex husbands name. I'm in the process of selling it. Although we have lived together we have no shared assets or bills etc.... so the company are looking to see if there is any other way around this.

If any of you knowledgeable people know a way round this then please feel free to tell me xx
Old May 18th 2011, 9:34 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say thank you so much guys! I have got on to the company and all of the information you have provided is correct.

The process is now clearer although my only problem being that we have have no proof of living together for a year.

Long story but my house is in mine and my ex husbands name. I'm in the process of selling it. Although we have lived together we have no shared assets or bills etc.... so the company are looking to see if there is any other way around this.

If any of you knowledgeable people know a way round this then please feel free to tell me xx
You can sign a Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union - it is available on the CIC website - you would sign it in front of a lawyer and it confirms that you are common-law partners.

You could then back it up with any info that you do have - if any at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.