Help! options I have to immigrate

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Cy787 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! options I have to immigrate

Hey guys!

I'm Craig... I'm a brit, living in the UK and I'm wanting to move to Canada (in Ontario)...and I'm in need of a little help really.

I dont quite know my options that I have to be able to stay, I have a girlfriend who is Canadian and we've been together for almost 3 years now.
She comes to stay with me alot, an I really want to eliminate the whole having to wait to see her once an for all.

This is a decision we both really want, we're very close an we get on like a house on fire

Now heres the tricky part, as far as jobs go, I've had a mixed amount of work, but I cant really say I have a profession?

I've worked in a few warhouses for a total of around 6 months, I had a part time job while in school...at McDonalds ¬_¬
I did food prep in a hotel as work experience, an thats been about it.

As far as my qualifications go, my GCSE's, they're a mixed outcome really, a few B's all the way down to E's...I was terrible at maths.

Other than that, I dont really have anything else going for me.
We've both discussed getting married, an if thats what it takes to stay then we want to do it.

As far as everything I've mentioned, I haven't a clue what I need to do, or how I'm supposed to apply for immigration... where to go an so forth.

I've tried looking around for stuff, most things I've found are "what profession do you have?" an I don't really have one...but I guess I like doing warehouse work.

If theres anything else anyone needs to know to be able to help, then I'll gladly post a reply...

This may sound like a lazy cry for help, but I haven't a clue how to go about doing the immigration thing.

please help!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:55 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! options I have to immigrate

Hello, Cy787, and welcome to the BE forum.

If you are a British citizen between the ages of 18 and 30, you could come to Canada on a 12-month working holiday visa through BUNAC. Although it is limited to 12 months, it is an open work permit that allows you to accept any job with any employer in any part of Canada. But I seem to remember reading here that all the spots for this year had been taken already.

But, aside from a BUNAC visa, which would give you only a temporary reprieve, I think your only option is to marry your girlfriend.

Here are some Wiki articles that should put you in the picture:
Also read Citizenship and Immigration Canada`s web page about Sponsoring your family (this includes spouses).

Jobs in Logistics is a good website for identifying jobs in warehousing.

Hope that helps.
x
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:56 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't have education, you don't have qualifications, you don't have any chance for immigration to Canada on your own. Your only option is to get married and be sponsored, as you are not even common-law partners.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Cy787 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the replys!

So the whole marrying thing, is this alone not going to be enough?
if its good enough, what else would we need other than a marriage certificate etc.

That being my only option, is there anything that I or her can do, to increase the chances of being able to stay together?

Her family want to help in any way they can, her father is a manager at a conference centre, if anything I'd get a food prep position.

Is there anything else I can do to increase chances of staying?
I'm still a bit confused over what I need to do exactly.

I know it sounds lazy but I've not had experience in trying to move before, sorry guys

I forgot to mention, I'm 20 years old, my girlfriend is about to turn 18.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:52 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Start learning about the process from Judy's links and from official government's website here:

www.cic.gc.ca