Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help for newbie! Can we migrate (skilled worker) ?

Wikiposts

Help for newbie! Can we migrate (skilled worker) ?

Old Aug 25th 2012, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

laura.anne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help for newbie! Can we migrate (skilled worker) ?

Hello!

We are interested in migrating to Canada and have been reading up on these threads already. My husband is a plumber with 13 years experience, NVQ Level 2 and registered with Gas Safe.

Am I right in reading we cannot apply until Jan 2013 now, once the system has been re-worked?

And is it likely that plumbers will still be in demand on this new system?

Any advice appreciated, thank you!
Old Aug 25th 2012, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice
Default Re: Help for newbie! Can we migrate (skilled worker) ?

If you can find employer first, one who is happy to apply for an LMO ( labour market opinion ) you can work on a tempery work permit.
If successful you can then apply for PNP (provincial nomination program) and again if successful, apply for permanent residence that way.
Look at my time line for how long it's took me so far.
I'm just about to go for PNP now.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply!

What is the best route to locating an employer who may want to take on English workers?

If we decide to wait, is it likely 'plumbers' will be on the demand trade list in Jan 2013?

Thank you
Old Aug 25th 2012, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

The best way (in my opinion) is to come out on a recci trip, with the intension of seeking employment. It may be expensive, but it's your future your talking about and you can look around to where you may intend to settle.
Employers like face to face over here, and to be honest you'll get a better response than posting in your resume, most employers won't reply to postal applications. Though that's still an option, you may get lucky.

I would say that plumers will almost definitely be on the list next year.

Where do you intend to settle?
Old Aug 25th 2012, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Stu!

How long do you think we would need out there, would a week-two weeks holiday to look around and speak to employers be worthwhile?

Can you recommend a good place? We have mainly looked at Victoria/Vancouver so far. Toronto also stands out though?

We have 3 young children too.

Thank you!
Old Aug 25th 2012, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

If you could arrange interviews before hand, explaining you are visiting on ie first week in October. I would say a week would do.
Skype also works well too, as it's face to face.

Sorry but it's down to personal preference and available work as to where to choose.
Im in Calgary, as I love the mountains and sunny weather, and my trade (heavy mechanics) is in high demand here from the oil and gas companies.

Try searching Canadian job web sites such as
http://www.wowjobs.ca/BrowseResults....Plumber&s=r&l=

You husband will have to sit a test to prove his qualifications in Canada, it's usually referred to a journeyman certificate, and can be very difficult to pass.

Pass mark is 70%
Old Aug 25th 2012, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Stu, very helpful
Old Aug 25th 2012, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by laura.anne
Thanks Stu, very helpful
No problem, If it wasn't for this forum I probably wouldn't be here, the least I can do is try help others.