Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help!! New Passport. Need to extend IEC.

Help!! New Passport. Need to extend IEC.

Old Oct 21st 2019, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

lamp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help!! New Passport. Need to extend IEC.

I've recently been accepted for an IEC work permit. I'm from and live in the UK. I plan to go to Canada around April 2020.

The problem is that my passport expires in July 2020. Before I applied, I saw on the IRCC website you can apply to extend your work permit if you get a new passport, which would then make it valid for the entire two years. With that in mind, I decided to join the pool first and get accepted and then extend. I got the Invite to Apply, and my Work Permit application was accepted very quickly, which was great (however only valid until July 2020). Following this I've applied and got a new passport

The IRCC website tells me to fill in form IMM5710e and send it in the post. However looking at the form, there are questions which are worrying. For example on question 7, there is no option to change the Country or Territory from Canada to the UK. There is also a question which asks the date I originally came to Canada. Does this mean I can only complete this form once I have entered Canada? Is there any way I can get an extension while I'm still in the UK? In hindsight I probably should have got the new passport before applying to join the pool.

I planned to call IRCC, but I'm apprehensive as I've seen a few posts on here which say they are notorious for giving out incorrect information.

Thank you for your help!
Old Oct 21st 2019, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!! New Passport. Need to extend IEC.

If its my understanding its that you applied for the IEC and got an ITA but you have never been to Canada yet to get the work permit. The work permit details are tied to your old passport that expires in July 2020. Simply travel to Canada with both passports and at the POE on arrival tell them you need a work permit present the ITA letter and new passport and you should be issued with a work permit for the full 2 years as from the date of arrival in Canada.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!! New Passport. Need to extend IEC.

Agree with FL: see this link. You will need a new eTA before you fly however if you'll be travelling on a different passport :

What do I do if I get a new passport after I apply for International Experience Canada?