Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help needed please express entry vs pnp

Help needed please express entry vs pnp

Old Apr 27th 2015, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

callysykes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help needed please express entry vs pnp

Hi

My husband has a job offer in Vancouver and we were planning to put an application in via express entry skilled trades. We were planning to do this ourselves as it seems to me it's just a case of form filling really.

The company has spoken to a lawyer to get the LMIA started but the lawyer has advised that we should apply via the provincial nominee program and that he could get us a visa in 2.5 months. But this will cost $10,000! He said we wouldn't be able to do this without a lawyer???

The company is keen to use the lawyer (mostly at our expense I have to add). My husband is now feeling anxious that we should go with the lawyer but I can't help feel that we are giving our money away unnecessarily.

To add to this I've just seen an article saying the pnp program has been suspended till July 2015 and they have a massive backlog. Surely the lawyer should be aware of this?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 8:14 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed please express entry vs pnp

Originally Posted by callysykes
Hi

My husband has a job offer in Vancouver and we were planning to put an application in via express entry skilled trades. We were planning to do this ourselves as it seems to me it's just a case of form filling really.

The company has spoken to a lawyer to get the LMIA started but the lawyer has advised that we should apply via the provincial nominee program and that he could get us a visa in 2.5 months. But this will cost $10,000! He said we wouldn't be able to do this without a lawyer???

The company is keen to use the lawyer (mostly at our expense I have to add). My husband is now feeling anxious that we should go with the lawyer but I can't help feel that we are giving our money away unnecessarily.

To add to this I've just seen an article saying the pnp program has been suspended till July 2015 and they have a massive backlog. Surely the lawyer should be aware of this?
I'm no expert and know very little about the PNP route to immigration but $10k seems like a heck of a lot to me. I would dig a little deeper if I was you before you start parting with money.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

There is 100% no need to use a lawyer if your case is straightforward.

The PNP has been suspended until July for the old system. For Express Entry it is still open.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

You can give me $10k and I'll do it.

Bit of research and reading and EE is a doddle.

2.5 months is garbage. $10k is garbage.

LMIA takes 10 days, if coupled with EE, and will get you a Temp Work Permit. That'll get you working ASAP. Once you have that you can start work and start your EE application. From the point you start your profile, get all your docs together, submit profile, wait for a draw, submit your application, then wait for processing, you might be able to be done within 6 months.

Hence the LMIA, cos you'll get a TWP and can work sooner rather than later. Don't need PR to work, just need a work permit.

P.S. Processing times for PNP are unknown. Could be weeks, could be months.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 11:56 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by kswoosh
You can give me $10k and I'll do it.

Bit of research and reading and EE is a doddle.

2.5 months is garbage. $10k is garbage.

LMIA takes 10 days, if coupled with EE, and will get you a Temp Work Permit. That'll get you working ASAP. Once you have that you can start work and start your EE application. From the point you start your profile, get all your docs together, submit profile, wait for a draw, submit your application, then wait for processing, you might be able to be done within 6 months.

Hence the LMIA, cos you'll get a TWP and can work sooner rather than later. Don't need PR to work, just need a work permit.

P.S. Processing times for PNP are unknown. Could be weeks, could be months.
1. I somehow doubt that the OP's employer is going to see a LMIA in 10 days, the minimum advertising alone is 30 days.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

Well that is of course assuming that portion has already been completed.

From the point you apply for an LMIA, it is a 10 day turnaround, sometimes quicker.

But the relevance of my point still stands - LMIA is, for the most part, quicker than PNP.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 8:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

What a load of rubbish!

Tbh, if I were you I'd say to the company that either you go it alone (which you're quite comfortable doing), or if they're so keen on the lawyer then that's fine but they need to pay for it.

LMIA/TWP would usually be quicker than PNP nomination anyway, so I'd ignore the lawyer personally, and certainly there's no way that you 'wouldn't be able to do this without a lawyer'. Again, it's just form filling for PNP so you'd be perfectly capable of doing it yourself, as many others on the forum have done.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 8:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kswoosh
From the point you apply for an LMIA, it is a 10 day turnaround, sometimes quicker.
It can be a 10 day turnaround, but not all jobs come under the expedited processing time, so it can also take 4 or 5 months.

I'd assume that the OP will come under the 10 day processing as they mention skilled trades, but just thought I'd point that out for the sake of anybody else reading so they don't think it'll automatically apply to them.

Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

callysykes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone - thanks for your responses.

My husband is applying under a skilled trade- so can i just ask is the 10 day turn around just for the LMIA to be issues or would you get the temporary working visa at the end of the 10 days? Or am i just being hopeful and actually it means the LMIA can be processed in 10 days then you go into the pool? We do have a job offer.

Also I understand from what I read about the provincial nominee program that they are still accepting applications from Express Entry British Columbia – Skilled Worker. I thought that the PNP and the express entry visa were two separate visas but from what I read it seems to be saying you apply via the express entry first and then submit an application via PNP. Can anyone explain the benefit of submitting via the PNP rather than just the express entry??
Old Apr 28th 2015, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone - thanks for your responses.

My husband is applying under a skilled trade- so can i just ask is the 10 day turn around just for the LMIA to be issues or would you get the temporary working visa at the end of the 10 days? Or am i just being hopeful and actually it means the LMIA can be processed in 10 days then you go into the pool? We do have a job offer.

Also I understand from what I read about the provincial nominee program that they are still accepting applications from Express Entry British Columbia – Skilled Worker. I thought that the PNP and the express entry visa were two separate visas but from what I read it seems to be saying you apply via the express entry first and then submit an application via PNP. Can anyone explain the benefit of submitting via the PNP rather than just the express entry??
Express Entry is a points based system - you get so many points and then you go into the pool and then wait to be invited to apply for PR.

At the moment, either an LMIA or a PNP nomination will guarantee that you will be invited to apply as they are each worth 600 points for the purposes of Express Entry.

If the potential employer gets an LMIA, then you won't need the PNP, as the LMIA will get 600 points for the application.

Be aware they are two different kinds of LMIA. One can be used only to support a PR application and is free, the other (called dual-intent LMIA) can be used to support a PR application and can also be used to get a temporary work permit but it costs $1000. If you have this kind of LMIA, then you can get a temporary work permit at the border while waiting for PR.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Kiki1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the 10 day processing time for LMIA (skilled trades) actually happening? I have not heard that anyone received the LMIA using this "fast track" in 10 days.... Usually it is 2-3 months at least...
Does anyone know anybody who actually got LMIA in 10 days?