Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help needed on obtaining a study permit

Help needed on obtaining a study permit

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:23 am
Just Joined

FreeToRoame is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help needed on obtaining a study permit

Hey folks,

I have a letter from a standing committee of the Federation of Law Societies of Canada that I have to pass a number of exams in Canadian law subjects. I have until March 2013 to pass all subjects. This will then enable me to proceed to bar exams and gain membership in a law society. The committee gave me three routes by which to sit these exams: 1) As a student in a Canadian law program; 2) Through the Committee's own challenge exams, or 3) A combination of both options 1 & 2. In terms of the challenge exams, the committee invigilates them at various exam centres throughout the provinces twice a year.

The CIC website states that a study permit will be awarded to a person who has a document of admission from an educational establishment, plus tuition funds and ample money for living arrangements. I will have ample funds for living arrangements in Canada, but am without the educational establishment admission document since I was unable to secure admission for myself this year at a Canadian law school.

Is there a route to gaining a study permit from London's Canadian High Commission, based on the abovementioned committee's letter stipulating which challenge exams I need to successfully pass? Should I approach the study permit application by stating on the form about my study and subjects' research intent in Canada based on these challenge exams over the next two years? (As an aside, I'll have to frequent the libraries of various law schools over many months to best prepare me for these exams, as well as form study groups myself to help me in this process.) I am well aware that CIC can reject my application, without official student documentation (thus losing the application fee), and naturally I want to avoid such a result.

I have asked for advice on this question from an immigration lawyer, who himself asked me to contact CIC. I did so over a month ago and still have had no word from them; therefore I seek the knowledge of good folks here.

Many thanks in advance.

/FTR

Last edited by FreeToRoame; Sep 2nd 2010 at 12:36 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:29 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed on obtaining a study permit

If you were not successful in gaining admission to a law school in Canada then you cannot get a student visa to attend one. There is a law school in the UK that teaches Canadian law so I would look into that possibility instead.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:47 am
Just Joined

FreeToRoame is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Help needed on obtaining a study permit

Thanks, Jim, for the quick response. What is CIC's approach to LMOs for part-time work? (Looks like I'm going to have to secure a work permit, and then do my Canadian studies in my free time.)

I'd prefer not to walk the "UK law school teaching Canadian law" path because I already have an English law degree, and am concerned with law conversion by completing Canadian law credits. (Thanks for the thought anyway.)

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
If you were not successful in gaining admission to a law school in Canada then you cannot get a student visa to attend one. There is a law school in the UK that teaches Canadian law so I would look into that possibility instead.

Last edited by FreeToRoame; Sep 2nd 2010 at 12:57 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:56 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FreeToRoame
Thanks, Jim, for the quick response. What is CIC's approach to LMOs for part-time work? (Looks like I'm going to have to secure a work permit, and then do my Canadian studies in my free time.)

I won't go the Canadian law school in UK approach (because I already have an English law degree, and am now on the path to law "conversion" by completing Canadian law credits.)
If you can get in on Bunac next year, that would be the best route to go. CIC don't issue the LMO, it comes from HRSDC, who want jobs to go to Canadians first, so unskilled are harder to get. You would also have to find an employer willing to apply for an LMO for you, as well as demonstrate they could not find a Canadian to do the job. For part-time work, thats going to be really hard (not impossible, but close to).
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:08 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by The Aviator
If you can get in on Bunac next year, that would be the best route to go. CIC don't issue the LMO, it comes from HRSDC, who want jobs to go to Canadians first, so unskilled are harder to get. You would also have to find an employer willing to apply for an LMO for you, as well as demonstrate they could not find a Canadian to do the job. For part-time work, thats going to be really hard (not impossible, but close to).
HRSDC won't issue LMOs for PT work.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:49 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

HRSDC won't issue LMOs for PT work.

A colleague got one through, but it was not an easy thing to do.