Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help Needed.. Changing LMO keeping same employer

Help Needed.. Changing LMO keeping same employer

Old Apr 17th 2013, 2:56 am
Collector of Junk!

missieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud of
Default Help Needed.. Changing LMO keeping same employer

Advice needed. A friend of mine is here on an unskilled LMO and his wife accompanied him and has no work permit. However, his company has just secured him a skilled LMO. They are intending to travel to the border to flagpole, but someone has told them that they cannot do this with the same employer. They are only changing the LMO so that she can obtain an open work permit.. They are intending to travel this weekend so any assistance would be grateful :-)
Old Apr 17th 2013, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

firstchoice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help Needed.. Changing LMO keeping same employer

Originally Posted by missieleah
Advice needed. A friend of mine is here on an unskilled LMO and his wife accompanied him and has no work permit. However, his company has just secured him a skilled LMO. They are intending to travel to the border to flagpole, but someone has told them that they cannot do this with the same employer. They are only changing the LMO so that she can obtain an open work permit.. They are intending to travel this weekend so any assistance would be grateful :-)
Presumably your friend will be doing a skilled job in future so he needs a new work permit. I don't see why he cannot be issued with that at the border, which would also enable his wife to obtain a SOWP. The CBSA person on this board may know better though.

Last edited by firstchoice; Apr 17th 2013 at 3:43 am.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 4:08 am
Collector of Junk!

missieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by firstchoice
Presumably your friend will be doing a skilled job in future so he needs a new work permit. I don't see why he cannot be issued with that at the border, which would also enable his wife to obtain a SOWP. The CBSA person on this board may know better though.
Thanks... I think they are just worried because the Immigration Ctr said the usual standard line of "not guaranteed re-entry etc...".. Maybe your right, FL might answer on this one!!
Old Apr 17th 2013, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If a new LMO has been issued and the job description falls in the NOC skill levels 0 A or B on the NOC matrix then the OH is eligible to apply for a SOWP.
I believe Alberta has a pilot programme for skill levels C or D on the NOC matrix. The first 4 digits of the job description NOC code i.e. 1122 will determine the skill level.
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...1/Welcome.aspx
Old Apr 17th 2013, 4:21 pm
Collector of Junk!

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If a new LMO has been issued and the job description falls in the NOC skill levels 0 A or B on the NOC matrix then the OH is eligible to apply for a SOWP.
I believe Alberta has a pilot programme for skill levels C or D on the NOC matrix. The first 4 digits of the job description NOC code i.e. 1122 will determine the skill level.
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...1/Welcome.aspx

Thanks FL, it does fall under the NOC codes, its just that they were told that if they went to the border to flagpole that it wouldn't be accepted because it was from the same employer. Personally, I don't believe this, but you might be able to confirm. So basically, the first Visa issued in November last to him was an unskilled lmo, so his wife could not obtain a SWOP at POE, however, he has now changed jobs and got a new contract and the company has been approved for a new LMO and they have it to hand and given it to him. In order for her to obtain a SOWP she either has to apply online, or take the other option of flagpolling.. however, like I said, she was told if it was for the same employer then it would not be accepted. This information was given to them from an individual on an LMO not any agency and I don't think that it is correct. Sorry if I'm repeating myself :-) And as always, thank you :-) BTW, the snow is starting to melt in cold Saskatchewan :-) There is the North Portal in SK for flagpoling, and I'm assuming this would be the correct one to go to?
Old Apr 17th 2013, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missieleah
Thanks FL, it does fall under the NOC codes, its just that they were told that if they went to the border to flagpole that it wouldn't be accepted because it was from the same employer. Personally, I don't believe this, but you might be able to confirm. So basically, the first Visa issued in November last to him was an unskilled lmo, so his wife could not obtain a SWOP at POE, however, he has now changed jobs and got a new contract and the company has been approved for a new LMO and they have it to hand and given it to him. In order for her to obtain a SOWP she either has to apply online, or take the other option of flagpolling.. however, like I said, she was told if it was for the same employer then it would not be accepted. This information was given to them from an individual on an LMO not any agency and I don't think that it is correct. Sorry if I'm repeating myself :-) And as always, thank you :-) BTW, the snow is starting to melt in cold Saskatchewan :-) There is the North Portal in SK for flagpoling, and I'm assuming this would be the correct one to go to?
Either Estevan or North Portal would be the better ones as the other crossings are a lot smaller and do not issue a lot of work permits.
Take valid passport, LMO and contract and $150 and they should be fine.
I can see no reason why it wouldnt be accepted its a new LMO with Im assuming a different NOC code to the original one thereby putting it in a higher skill level.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 4:45 pm
Collector of Junk!

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Either Estevan or North Portal would be the better ones as the other crossings are a lot smaller and do not issue a lot of work permits.
Take valid passport, LMO and contract and $150 and they should be fine.
I can see no reason why it wouldnt be accepted its a new LMO with Im assuming a different NOC code to the original one thereby putting it in a higher skill level.

Exactly.. Thanks so much, they will be thrilled... You are invaluable as always xxxx