Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

HELP MY HEAD IS PICKLED BY ALL THIS INFORMATION!!!

HELP MY HEAD IS PICKLED BY ALL THIS INFORMATION!!!

Old Jun 28th 2011, 10:20 am
The Ivory's

Richard Ivory is an unknown quantity at this point
Question HELP MY HEAD IS PICKLED BY ALL THIS INFORMATION!!!

Hello,

As the title says my head is pickled?

My husband will be receiving his lmo and letter of job offer soon, yippee .

He needs to attend the doctors for a pre-employment medical, which we are upto date with but then this is where we start to loose it abit.

We will be applying for our twp and sowp on poe as he will be a long distance trucker.

What do we need to next? been searching on here in forums/wiki and on the canadian web sites but just keep going round in circles.
Do we need to apply to CHC for our work permits and do they tell us to go for medicals or do we just book them ourselves.

We've been told we need medicals for this as well as we dont!!!!
SOOO confused at the moment, to much information overload and i'm not a bottle blonde anymore so no excuse.

PLEASE HELP DAMSEL IN DISTRESS!!!.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP MY HEAD IS PICKLED BY ALL THIS INFORMATION!!!

Originally Posted by Richard Ivory
Hello,

As the title says my head is pickled?

My husband will be receiving his lmo and letter of job offer soon, yippee .

He needs to attend the doctors for a pre-employment medical, which we are upto date with but then this is where we start to loose it abit.

We will be applying for our twp and sowp on poe as he will be a long distance trucker.

What do we need to next? been searching on here in forums/wiki and on the canadian web sites but just keep going round in circles.
Do we need to apply to CHC for our work permits and do they tell us to go for medicals or do we just book them ourselves.

We've been told we need medicals for this as well as we dont!!!!
SOOO confused at the moment, to much information overload and i'm not a bottle blonde anymore so no excuse.

PLEASE HELP DAMSEL IN DISTRESS!!!.
As a trucker, he shouldn't need a medical for immigration purposes - only those working in healthcare or with children do. I can only assume his employer wants him to have one done privately for some reason?

But if he does need a medical, note that you cannot apply for a TWP at POE - it must be done via the London visa office and will take several months after obtaining your LMO.

So, double check if he needs a medical (ask his employer why they think he does), and if he does you must apply via London. Send the LMO, forms etc, in to them and then they will request the medical at the appropriate point.

If he doesn't, then you can just turn up to POE and get the TWP there (assuming you are UKC's of course).

HTH.

Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:03 pm
The Ivory's

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

My husband just need's to have a pre-employment medical just to make sure he's fit for work.

Our friends that are in canada that have done this process 3yrs ago and have told us we need to have medicals done for our work permits? But the company havent said only the pre-employment one.

Also we can apply for TWP/SOWP at POE with all the right docs, this is where were getting confused with all the different information.

What does uks mean :- british citerzens then yes we are.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My husband just need's to have a pre-employment medical just to make sure he's fit for work.

Our friends that are in canada that have done this process 3yrs ago and have told us we need to have medicals done for our work permits? But the company havent said only the pre-employment one.

Also we can apply for TWP/SOWP at POE with all the right docs, this is where were getting confused with all the different information.

What does uks mean :- british citerzens then yes we are.
OK, so I don't really understand what you are confused about? Sorry!

Seems he needs a medical for his potential employers, but it's nothing to do with the Temp Work Permit from what you've said. Your friends may well have needed a medical 3 years ago for immigration, but their case was obviously different from yours - some people do have to have them, some don't. Truckers aren't normally required to have them.

So, he's having a medical, but it's nothing to do with immigration or CIC. And therefore you can apply at POE.

Does that clarify or are you still confused about something?

P.S. Yes, UKC's are UK citizens - if you are UK citizen, and don't require a medical, then you can apply for TWP at POE.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 28th 2011 at 2:10 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:04 pm
The Ivory's

Hello again,

Yes thats right about the medical only for the employer.

So when his LMO and job offer arrives we just need to take that with us when we land to get our twp and sowp with birth/marriage certs and the right money.

We dont need to do anything else before hand.

Cant understand why our friends keep telling us that we need to have medicals done for our wp!!

Thanks.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 4:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Cant understand why our friends keep telling us that we need to have medicals done for our wp!!
As I said, each case is different so they may well have done, but it doesn't mean you will. You can easily check it on the CIC website if you are still unsure........http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...exams-temp.asp

Re: what you need at POE, just have a look at the Wiki as there is an article in there about applying for TWP which tells you what you need.

Old Jun 28th 2011, 4:55 pm
The Ivory's

Thumbs up Re: HELP MY HEAD IS PICKLED BY ALL THIS INFORMATION!!!

A BIG thank you again and sorry if i've been a pain.

I did read that but couldn't understand why i was still being told we needed medicals.
I have spoken to the company employing my oh today and they have confirmed what you/wiki and all the canadian immigration sites kept telling me .

Thanks again you've been agreat help.

Last edited by Richard Ivory; Jun 28th 2011 at 4:58 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 7:54 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

A BIG thank you again and sorry if i've been a pain.

I did read that but couldn't understand why i was still being told we needed medicals.
I have spoken to the company employing my oh today and they have confirmed what you/wiki and all the canadian immigration sites kept telling me .

Thanks again you've been agreat help.
You should note that you will not get a SOWP unless your spouses driving job is in Alberta.