Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help! Moving to Canada from Japan - Marriage visa

Help! Moving to Canada from Japan - Marriage visa

Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Tictacs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Moving to Canada from Japan - Marriage visa

I'm having a complete and utter headache with all the visa info and so much is contradictory, I was hoping maybe someone could offer some pearls of wisdom!

I'm British and my fiance is Canadian. We both work in Japan as English teachers and we are going to get married here in April 2013. Both our contracts finish at the same time (next July) and our plan is to move to Canada for a year, and then move to the UK to start a family.

Ideally of course, we both need to work for the year in Canada, but I can't understand what visa would be best. Can you work on a marriage visa? And can I apply for this from Japan? I don't know if I would be better off applying for a work visa, but I don't know if I'm qualified as my degree is pretty obscure. Also, I've read it can take a long time to process visas, as we only intend to stay in Canada for a year, is it feasible to be able to work there for such a short time?

Also, as I will be visiting the UK this Christmas, I wonder if it might be better to apply for the visa from there. I've emailed both the British and Canadian embassy but recieved very vague answers that haven't helped a lot

We have a little savings but not a lot. We can stay with his parents for as long as needed but obviously we'd rather be independent..not to mention the thought of not working for 6months on a visitor visa would kill me! I worry if I didn't work for a year we would struggle when we needed to get his visa to move to the UK..

Any help at all on this would be really appreciated
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice
Default Re: Help! Moving to Canada from Japan - Marriage visa

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you are an ideal candidate for spousal sponsorship, which would then allow you to work, as a permanent resident of Canada. Did you read the wiki on this website? The bit relevant to you is here - have a good read, it should answer most of your questions: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada

Good luck
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future

There is no reason why your fiance can't work - but given the timescales and processing times and also that you only intend to be in Canada for a year, I have to ask - is it worth you going through whatever application processes just to work for a few short months?

Of course, there is nothing to stop you/your fiance from going down the spousal sponsorship route - but again, the same thing - why go through the trouble if Britain is your final destination?

If you're concerned about the financial requirements for sponsoring someone as a British citizen, it may be better to try to find employment in the U.K.

Just my tuppence worth anyway, especially given that many here have said it's not easy for teachers to find work as there is an abundance of Canadian teachers for jobs.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 5:30 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Siphorous
There is no reason why your fiance can't work - but given the timescales and processing times and also that you only intend to be in Canada for a year, I have to ask - is it worth you going through whatever application processes just to work for a few short months?

Of course, there is nothing to stop you/your fiance from going down the spousal sponsorship route - but again, the same thing - why go through the trouble if Britain is your final destination?

If you're concerned about the financial requirements for sponsoring someone as a British citizen, it may be better to try to find employment in the U.K.

Just my tuppence worth anyway, especially given that many here have said it's not easy for teachers to find work as there is an abundance of Canadian teachers for jobs.

If they have been living together in a common/law relationship for a year, then they might as well start the application now, and there is a good chance that the PR visa will be issued before they return to Canada. If they want until the marriage happens, if the application is processed in either London (80% processed in 8 months or Manila 9 months. Plus the time in Mississauga. She will only be a PR for a couple of months. Can't work until she becomes a PR. I assume she has been outside the UK for more than 18 months so not eligible for IEC working visa.