Help with mother in law moving

Old Mar 20th 2023, 5:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with mother in law moving

Originally Posted by krazylegz
I'm guessing there is no time from for a temporary worker becoming a PR under the temporary works visa, if even at all?
Sorry, not sure what you're asking here.

also guess the immediate family could still come with me on a temp visa?
Yep. And now your wife could get a spousal open work permit too (previously the spouses of truckers couldn't work without a job offer/work permit of their own). Not sure how old your children are but they wouldn't be allowed to work until they got PR (just in case that's a factor i.e. you have older teenage kids that want a Saturday job).
Old Mar 21st 2023, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

krazylegz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sorry, not sure what you're asking here.
Sorry should have been more specific. i was trying to say I guess there is no time frame for becoming a PR, so could be 1 year, 5 years, 10 years or never?
Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Yep. And now your wife could get a spousal open work permit too (previously the spouses of truckers couldn't work without a job offer/work permit of their own). Not sure how old your children are but they wouldn't be allowed to work until they got PR (just in case that's a factor i.e. you have older teenage kids that want a Saturday job).
Thats good to hear, just hope that doesn't change before we get to hopefully come over. Kids at the momemnt are 10, 12 and 15 so quite possibly will all be left school before we get to come over as the wife won't leave here Mum, so as awful as it sounds it won't be until she has passed away which could still be some time yet and I may even be too old by then.

Last edited by krazylegz; Mar 21st 2023 at 4:06 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2023, 4:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry should have been more specific. i was trying to say I guess there is no time frame for becoming a PR, so could be 1 year, 5 years, 10 years or never?
Ah, I see. PR takes around 12-18 months to get, once you're eligible.
Old Mar 21st 2023, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Will it then literally go on time worked in Canada, days out of the country etc or still on the CRC score?

Seen posrts before about other provinces/visas etc being able to get, is that still the case or all standardised now?
Old Mar 21st 2023, 6:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Will it then literally go on time worked in Canada, days out of the country etc or still on the CRC score?

Seen posrts before about other provinces/visas etc being able to get, is that still the case or all standardised now?
Working in Canada doesn't automatically make you eligible for PR, although it would help get you extra points on the CRS.

There are provincial nomination programs, that will depend on your job and province.

Basically there are over 50 routes to PR, EE is only a few of those, so you'd need to explore them once you know which job/province you'll be moving with or to.
Old Mar 21st 2023, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Dependent children may now be eligible for Work Permits and dependents of some low skilled workers too:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...l#high-skilled

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 21st 2023 at 11:53 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 10:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Dependent children may now be eligible for Work Permits and dependents of some low skilled workers too:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...l#high-skilled
Ah, thank you, I thought that was the case but when I checked one of my book marked pages, it didn't mention it so I thought maybe they'd scrapped it! Clearly I need to update my bookmarks.

Old Mar 24th 2023, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your comments guys, I appreciate it

All may not be lost yet, the wife is finished health care management diploma this year so hopefully we can use that fir entry. Failing that, I have been looking into the Atlantic Immigraton Program, is that easier as it doesn't mention (or I have missed it) CRC score being needed?
Old Mar 24th 2023, 12:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you for your comments guys, I appreciate it

All may not be lost yet, the wife is finished health care management diploma this year so hopefully we can use that fir entry. Failing that, I have been looking into the Atlantic Immigraton Program, is that easier as it doesn't mention (or I have missed it) CRC score being needed?
That's a good program, if you can find a job offer and would be happy in one of those provinces. Still doesn't allow the MIL to accompany you though I'm afraid.
Old Mar 24th 2023, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Would it not? I thought I read it that you can apply for PR straight away then maybes apply for a superviser for the MIL?
Old Mar 24th 2023, 1:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Would it not? I thought I read it that you can apply for PR straight away then maybes apply for a superviser for the MIL?
The AIP is a PR app, so yes, that's what you'd be applying for and hopefully get. But most employers won't wait the year or so for you to get PR, so normally you'd go over on a work permit first whilst you await PR. And I think for a supervisa you still need to have proof of a year's income in Canada (for PR sponsorship it's 3 years) before you can apply, although I'm not 100% sure on that so do double check.

Plus it's then 6 months processing time for a supervisa. So if you went out on a work permit whilst waiting for PR, then even if you can apply as soon as you get PR it's going to be a year or so before she can move, possibly 2 years if you need to wait until you've done a year working in Canada first.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 24th 2023 at 1:07 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2023, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies mate.

Here is another scenario.....Our eldest daughter is heading into her last year at school and has suggested she would stop here with MIL (Her Nan). So say if we were to get PR and the eldest plan to stop here in the UK for her last year in school, could we register her with us when we first go over and she returns with the MIL (this is sumising the MIL comes across on a visitor visa at first) or would she need registered when she was ready to move over and live permanently with us?

Sorry if this sounds hard to grasp, just trying to figure out all scenarios.
Old Mar 24th 2023, 6:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for the replies mate.

Here is another scenario.....Our eldest daughter is heading into her last year at school and has suggested she would stop here with MIL (Her Nan). So say if we were to get PR and the eldest plan to stop here in the UK for her last year in school, could we register her with us when we first go over and she returns with the MIL (this is sumising the MIL comes across on a visitor visa at first) or would she need registered when she was ready to move over and live permanently with us?

Sorry if this sounds hard to grasp, just trying to figure out all scenarios.
Your daughter would go on your visa app as a dependent, but she doesn't have to move with you, she can follow on later, so that's fine.

Just be aware that your MIL trying to enter on a visitor visa may be tricky, if all her family is in Canada and she presumably doesn't have many ties to the UK (particularly if she'll have given up her home by then).