Help with mother in law moving

Old Mar 20th 2023, 11:35 am
Just Joined

krazylegz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with mother in law moving

Hi all,

New to the forum and i am looking into moving across to Canada in the next year or two, plan on using the HGV driver as a way in. I am married with 3 kids and 2 dogs.

Been doing quite a bit of reading the last few weeks, including looking at places to live and even cost of shopping. I like the look of steinbach in Manitoba but know final location would depend on where job offeres are etc.

We have had the mother-in-law live with us the last few years so she would be looking at coming. She is retired and has enough money to see out her days so would not be claining any benefits etc, would the fact shes reitred prevent her coming or simply go down on my visa application as a dependant?

We own our house in the uk outright so would be looking at selling that and buying a house in Canada as soon as we could, obviously have to rent at first. Does anyone know how long house sales take to go through in Canada?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 20th 2023, 1:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with mother in law moving

Hi, and welcome to BE.

I'm afraid that there is no way to have your MIL go as a dependent on your visa app. Only dependent children (unmarried and aged under 22 usually) or spouses count as dependents. You could sponsor her for PR down the line, but you'd need to have been a PR and working in Canada for at least 3 years first.

So she'd need to look at her own visa eligibility and see if she can find a way over on her own merits if she'd want to go at a similar time to you.

House sales are much quicker than in the UK but the usual advice is to rent first and make sure you like the area, plus presumably you'd only be a temp work permit to start with? So very risky to buy somewhere before you have PR, I'd wait for that personally before looking at purchasing a house.

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 20th 2023 at 1:16 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2023, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your answer, appreciate it.

Guess that answer could scupper our plans to move across anytime soon as the wife won't leave her mum since she'll be all alone and it is probably doubtful that she will get a visa since she won't be working?
Old Mar 20th 2023, 1:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krazylegz
Thank you for your answer, appreciate it.

Guess that answer could scupper our plans to move across anytime soon as the wife won't leave her mum since she'll be all alone and it is probably doubtful that she will get a visa since she won't be working?
It is doubtful, but you never know. Get her to check her visa eligibility on the official website - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nada-tool.html

Would your wife consider it if she could move over at a later date, or would she have to move at the same time with you all?

Old Mar 20th 2023, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

just done a quick check and it says about the grandparent visa, but as you say i would need to be a PR for that to happen.

I would get a divorce for just suggesting about me going across alone, also definately wouldn't be able to as it was going to be the money from the house sale that would have made it possible, which we wouldb't be able to sell and make the MIL homeless.
Old Mar 20th 2023, 1:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

just done a quick check and it says about the grandparent visa, but as you say i would need to be a PR for that to happen.

I would get a divorce for just suggesting about me going across alone, also definately wouldn't be able to as it was going to be the money from the house sale that would have made it possible, which we wouldb't be able to sell and make the MIL homeless.
Ah, yes making MIL homeless may not be the recipe for domestic bliss. What is your planned visa route? Just wondering how soon you'd have PR.
Old Mar 20th 2023, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

I was going to apply for HGV driving posistions and try for a job offer before leaving, making me eligble for the EE.
Old Mar 20th 2023, 2:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I was going to apply for HGV driving posistions and try for a job offer before leaving, making me eligble for the EE.
OK, so that would get you PR pretty quickly and potentially before leaving. Have you checked your CRS score? Are you definitely eligible for EE?
Old Mar 20th 2023, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I checked it earlier, just put max results for the english exams. it said i wasn't eligble for EE without a job offer, but as soon as i changed it to having received a job offer it give me loads of options to print and what to do next.

It's somethinbg I will have to talk to the wife about as they only open the grand parent visa in januarys and are limited to 10,000 (I think it said), so would then have to try and time it near enough right as I would proabably struggle moving out there by myself then in a few month travelling back to the UK to help the missus pack up and sell belongings etc.

Old Mar 20th 2023, 2:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yeah I checked it earlier, just put max results for the english exams. it said i wasn't eligble for EE without a job offer, but as soon as i changed it to having received a job offer it give me loads of options to print and what to do next.
OK, so you'd be eligible to enter the pool of applicants with a job offer, which is great, but you'd also need to check you'd be scoring enough to be selected and invited to apply for PR - so do double check your CRS score as well (you'd need above approx 470 to be in with a chance). https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp

It's somethinbg I will have to talk to the wife about as they only open the grand parent visa in januarys and are limited to 10,000 (I think it said), so would then have to try and time it near enough right as I would proabably struggle moving out there by myself then in a few month travelling back to the UK to help the missus pack up and sell belongings etc.
That's for PR sponsorship and you'd need 3 years of income from Canadian sources before being eligible for that, so that's not an option for quite some time. I was wondering about the supervisa, but again there would be a delay so she couldn't move with you. The length of delay would depend on the visa you go over on, if you are definitely eligible for EE and move with PR it'll be a lot quicker than if you have to go over on a temp work permit first and then apply for PR further along the line.
Old Mar 20th 2023, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Thank you. I am stuck on the following question ' Do you have a nomination certficiate from a province or territory? Yes or No?'

Also am i correct in reading that the supervisa, they can only stay for 10 years, up to 5 years at a time? if so what happens after that time?

Old Mar 20th 2023, 4:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you. I am stuck on the following question ' Do you have a nomination certficiate from a province or territory? Yes or No?'

Also am i correct in reading that the supervisa, they can only stay for 10 years, up to 5 years at a time? if so what happens after that time?
You'd say no to that.

Yes, it's only a temporary visa, most people try and sponsor their parent(s) before it ends.
Old Mar 20th 2023, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again.

With saying no to that my score is just shy of 400, so would that mean PR is out of the question?
Old Mar 20th 2023, 4:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks again.

With saying no to that my score is just shy of 400, so would that mean PR is out of the question?
Yes, via that route, unless the score requirement drops considerably, but it's never been anywhere close to that low previously I'm afraid. You can see all the previous draws here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ry-rounds.html

So you'd need to look at other visa routes, but then that will probably mean going over on a temp work permit first and applying for PR once you qualify - so a longer wait to get MIL over.

Old Mar 20th 2023, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Oh the joys of not going to college/university really hampers you.

I'm guessing there is no time from for a temporary worker becoming a PR under the temporary works visa, if even at all?

also guess the immediate family could still come with me on a temp visa?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.