Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help me please in the "Family Name" field

Wikiposts

Help me please in the "Family Name" field

Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

hnagy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help me please in the "Family Name" field

My name is: Hatem Nagy Morkos Megaly

I have 2 daughters, their passports states their names as below:

- Natalie Hatem Nagy Morkos Megaly
- Joelle Hatem Nagy Morkos

I am preparing my papers and forms to immigrate to Quebec,
but i don't know what to write in the "family name" filed for us.
For me, it will be Megaly (the 4th name)
but i don't know what to write for my girls, can i write "Morkos" for both of them? (as it is their 4th name), or that will be a problem, because their family name is not matching with me.
Please help me.

Last edited by hnagy; Jun 28th 2010 at 9:47 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help me please in the "Family Name" field

Hi
You should put your family name Megaly and the children should be Megaly and Morkos, I presume that is what you have given to schools...if they are school age. It does not matter that the names don't match....their Birth certificates will link them both to you.
Have you adopted a double barrelled name for Natalie, if so it should be Morkos Megaly as the family name....ie whatever you are using in their everyday lives.
There are a lot of families whose names do not match that of their siblings for all sorts of reasons.
Hope this helps
Stef

Originally Posted by hnagy
My name is: Hatem Nagy Morkos Megaly

I have 2 daughters, their passports states their names as below:

- Natalie Hatem Nagy Morkos Megaly
- Joelle Hatem Nagy Morkos

I am preparing my papers and forms to immigrate to Quebec,
but i don't know what to write in the "family name" filed for us.
For me, it will be Megaly (the 4th name)
but i don't know what to write for my girls, can i write "Morkos" for both of them? (as it is their 4th name), or that will be a problem, because their family name is not matching with me.
Please help me.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
You should put your family name Megaly and the children should be Megaly and Morkos, I presume that is what you have given to schools...if they are school age. It does not matter that the names don't match....their Birth certificates will link them both to you.
Have you adopted a double barrelled name for Natalie, if so it should be Morkos Megaly as the family name....ie whatever you are using in their everyday lives.
There are a lot of families whose names do not match that of their siblings for all sorts of reasons.
Hope this helps
Stef
Thanks a lot Stef,
please excuse my ignorance,
Ok, can I put "Morkos" for both, and ignore "Megaly" for Natalie?
or, can I put for Natalie both "Morkos Megaly" as her family name?
sorry for distributing you really.
also, what do you mean by "adopted a double barrelled"

Last edited by hnagy; Jun 28th 2010 at 10:20 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

You should either put their names as stated in passports (if the same as in birth certificates) or get new passports if their passports names are not the same as in birth certificates.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

As one is called Morkos the other has Morkos Megaly, it looked like maybe Morkos and Megaly were both family names and that keeping two names is quite common, instead of changing the whole name when family circumstances change. Like if Natalie was Megaly and then you met someone else called Morkos and added that family name in too. So using both family names...it is called double barrelled. The word adopt was used to mean you chose to use that and not as in Adoption!
Hope this is clearer.
Stef
Thanks a lot Stef,
please excuse my ignorance,
Ok, can I put "Morkos" for both, and ignore "Megaly" for Natalie?
or, can I put for Natalie both "Morkos Megaly" as her family name?
sorry for distributing you really.
also, what do you mean by "adopted a double barrelled"
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

We have the same issue, in a way, as Spanish-speaking countries use two family names.

Our daughter is either "Barbara Reynolds" (as per her UK passport) or "Barbara Reynolds Perales" (as per her Mexican passport).

As others have said, as long as the connections are clear on birth certificates or passports then it doesn't really matter what names are used.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AdrianR
We have the same issue, in a way, as Spanish-speaking countries use two family names.

Our daughter is either "Barbara Reynolds" (as per her UK passport) or "Barbara Reynolds Perales" (as per her Mexican passport).

As others have said, as long as the connections are clear on birth certificates or passports then it doesn't really matter what names are used.
Really thanks a lot for all, for your kind support.
yes, the names in the Birth certificates are same as their passports.
by the way, I'm their father.
So, can I write for Natalie "Morkos Megaly", and for Joelle "Morkos"?
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Really thanks a lot for all, for your kind support.
yes, the names in the Birth certificates are same as their passports.
by the way, I'm their father.
So, can I write for Natalie "Morkos Megaly", and for Joelle "Morkos"?
Can I put my third name "Morkos" as the family name for all of us and neglect my fourth name "Megaly" at all?
Old Jul 1st 2010, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

No, you can't - names in the application must be exactly as they are in birth certificates and passports. Unless of course you go through the legal name change process first, get passports in new names and include name change certificates with application, in addition to birth certificates and new passports with just changed names in them.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crazy72
No, you can't - names in the application must be exactly as they are in birth certificates and passports. Unless of course you go through the legal name change process first, get passports in new names and include name change certificates with application, in addition to birth certificates and new passports with just changed names in them.
Is there is anything prevents me from making my 3rd name "Morkos" our family name not my 4th name?
Old Jul 1st 2010, 5:49 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Is there is anything prevents me from making my 3rd name "Morkos" our family name not my 4th name?
That I would presume would be down to the laws of whichever country you are in.

What is the problem with doing as everyone else has stated, and using the names that are on their birth certificates and passports?

It would certainly be a) Easier and B) The truth

If you are desperate to get the name changed then why not do it after you have pr and are all settled.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

From the Canadian immigration's perspective you will need a legal name change done first to be able to use different names. You can't just change your name without going through the legal process of changing it.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

So for Natalie, the family name will be "Morkos Megaly"
and for Joelle, it will be "Morkos".
Both are the same as their passports and Birth certificates.
The questions is, is it OK for sisters to have different family name (they are still kids)?

Last edited by hnagy; Jul 2nd 2010 at 8:54 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:45 am
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

The questions is, is it OK for sisters to have different family name (they are still kids)?
yes
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:19 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Head ............... Desk

It would be ok for them to have the different names even if they were duck billed platipuss-erm-es

Here it is one last time

Your children could have all different names if that were the case IT DOESN'T MATTER, what does matter is what is on - ready - their birth certificates and passports.

AS LONG AS YOU ARE IDENTIFIED AS THE FATHER ON THE BIRTH CERTICATE IT DOES NOT MATTER THAT THEY HAVE DIFFERENT SURNAMES ON THEIR DOCUMENTATION BE THEY BROTHERS, SISTERS, TALL GREEN ALIENS ETC.

Last edited by mandymoochops; Jul 2nd 2010 at 10:23 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.