Help! LMOs, TWPs and PNPs

Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

boybiskit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! LMOs, TWPs and PNPs

After a very successful trip to BC recently I have someone who wants to give me a job, which I know no-one in Canada has experience doing. Great. He has started the LMO process. Great!

So a few questions that I'm struggling with:

- Does anyone know how long LMOs are taking at the moment in BC?
- Speed! Anything that can be done to speed this process up? We're all impatient!
- Assuming the LMO is successful, what do I get? As I understand it, it means I can live and work in Canada for the duration of that job. Am I right?
- Is there anything else I need to do? Do I need to apply for a TWP before I leave the UK? I don't think I can do this before I have the LMO? If so how long does the TWP take? Or can I just do it when I land?
- Assuming this all goes well, where does my wife / family (2 kids) stand once I'm in? Can my wife work? I know the kids are OK for education so long as I have a contract and rental agreement on somewhere to live.
- Backup plans: is it worth going through a PNP at the same time in case the LMO doesn't work?

As always any help much appreciated. These are exciting and very scary times!
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

iBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to all
Default Re: Help! LMOs, TWPs and PNPs

Im new so not the best of help but i understand from reading a few threads you dont need a TWP over here if you have a LMO then you will be issued one at the boarder, thats all the visa officers want to see.

Last edited by iBoBBa; Mar 27th 2012 at 10:02 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL, I felt I had to read your post really quickly!

If you want to get there quickly then I reckon a TWP is your best bet. From what I understand, if you have all the appropriate documentation with you, you can apply for that when you land.

After that, you ideally want to start the PR process, unless of course you don't plan on living there for more than a couple of years.

We started our PR process last November, but we're still hopefull of a work transfer this summer. We would just complete the PR process from over there.

I think your wife can apply for an open work permit on the back of your permit and lmo, but i have no idea about what documentation she needs for that. Someone will be along soon with more talent ;-)

You will also need to apply for a study permit for the kids on landing to allow them to get free schooling.

I like your impatience, I'm a fully paid up member of that club, lol.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

irishgirl33 is an unknown quantity at this point

LMO can take anything from 5 wks to 16 wks usually not sure on current time scale this very moment.
once you have received a positive LMO who can apply for TWP at POE once your job doesnt require a medical.
your wife should also be entitled to open spousal work permit.
your time in canada will depend on how long LMO and TWP are issued for.
most people that come on TWP apply for PR once in canada.
good luck

Last edited by irishgirl33; Mar 27th 2012 at 10:03 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 27th 2012, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iBoBBa
Im new so not the best of help but i understand from reading a few threads you dont need a TWP if you have a LMO, thats all the visa officers want to see.
YES, YOU DO need a work permit , lol.

You need an LMO in order to get a work permit.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

iBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
YES, YOU DO need a work permit , lol.

You need an LMO in order to get a work permit.
Yes i re-worded what i said missed out a vital part.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iBoBBa
Yes i re-worded what i said missed out a vital part.
hahaha, yeah, that makes more sense
Old Mar 27th 2012, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

I love this forum. Never seen so many responses so quickly! That's a great start so thanks for all the replies so far. And really good to know the current-ish timescales.

re: the kids - I think we're all sorted on that front. The local elementary school and international college gave us buckets of help / forms to fill in while we were out there.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the category you come under will depend on whether your wife will get an open TWP or not. Not all TWP's allow spouses to obtain a TWP in your TWP
Old Mar 28th 2012, 12:03 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boybiskit
After a very successful trip to BC recently I have someone who wants to give me a job, which I know no-one in Canada has experience doing.
Okay you have my interest...whats the job then?
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:09 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

After a very successful trip to BC recently I have someone who wants to give me a job, which I know no-one in Canada has experience doing. Great. He has started the LMO process. Great!

So a few questions that I'm struggling with:

- Does anyone know how long LMOs are taking at the moment in BC?
answered above

- Speed! Anything that can be done to speed this process up? We're all impatient!

unfortunately not lol

- Assuming the LMO is successful, what do I get? As I understand it, it means I can live and work in Canada for the duration of that job. Am I right?

no, the job offer has to state that it is temporary. You will be given a work permit for a maximum of around 2 years. The LMO might be able to be reapplied for at the end of that process should you need more time to apply for pr. Though do be aware just because it was once succesful, doesn't automatically guarantee a seond success

- Is there anything else I need to do? Do I need to apply for a TWP before I leave the UK? I don't think I can do this before I have the LMO? If so how long does the TWP take? Or can I just do it when I land?

If your job is on one of the in demand professions on the skill list of (i'm not sure but ts something like A, B E or O or whatever) your wife will be entitled to an open work permit. You can apply for both permits at the border when you come in as long as yours doesn't require a medical (required if working in the health profession)

- Assuming this all goes well, where does my wife / family (2 kids) stand once I'm in? Can my wife work? I know the kids are OK for education so long as I have a contract and rental agreement on somewhere to live.

Answered above

- Backup plans: is it worth going through a PNP at the same time in case the LMO doesn't work?

It's always worth getting in your pr application asap anyway

As always any help much appreciated. These are exciting and very scary times!
I also read your op very quickly lol
Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

My potetial job defly not on the list of in demand applications: it seems Canada is already flooded with marketing people. However my specific experience in relation to this job is unique.

So it looks like I need to read up on twps for my wife. I'm pretty sure she'll need to work too if we don't want to be completely skint all the time.

Also need to look at PRs to try and figure when we'll be in a position to apply and get it.

Thank you all: I'm off to get some karma points in other threads!
Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

So it looks like I need to read up on twps for my wife. I'm pretty sure she'll need to work too if we don't want to be completely skint all the time.
If you can figure out what NOC code the job will come under (do a search on this website - http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...1/Welcome.aspx) then we can tell you if it's considered 'Skilled', and therefore if your wife will be eligible for a Spousal Open Work Permit or not. Or you can check yourself by looking at the NOC Matrix and seeing if it's Skill Level A, O or B (skilled) or C or D (unskilled).

My best guess if it's marketing related is that it will be skilled, so she would be able to get an open work permit, but that is only a guess.

Good luck.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice

My potetial job defly not on the list of in demand applications: it seems Canada is already flooded with marketing people. However my specific experience in relation to this job is unique.

Also need to look at PRs to try and figure when we'll be in a position to apply and get it.

Thank you all: I'm off to get some karma points in other threads!
Your wife should be able to get an Open Work Permit if you're going to BC no matter what the code. They have a new agreement in place low skilled workers bringing their spouses.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lloydies
Your wife should be able to get an Open Work Permit if you're going to BC no matter what the code. They have a new agreement in place low skilled workers bringing their spouses.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2011/ob337.asp

Here's the info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.